Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #91
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I think you folks are getting a little defensive about the use of the term "serious readers".
You've misread into this in my case. (I can't speak for anyone else, of course.) I actually am surprised by readers who don't see the value of color, even if they don't care for it. I don't care for math, but I see the value of it, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #92
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Didn't I see one of those in 2001: A Space Odyssey? Oh no, that was Hal. It's amazing how quickly the futuristic morphs into the archaic.
First portable computer I saw was an Osborn one. I don't remember what color the screen was but it was a tiny screen on a big box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Amusingly, a lot of the ebook defenders seem to feel that fiction novels and other applications that slow monochrome EPDs are adequate for are "serious" reading, and the forms of reading that fast color screens can do are somehow less "serious". "Serious" tends to be chosen as it allows the user to be arrogant without outright calling themselves better.
Well, the monochrome part is not really a big deal. After all, the majority of books are monochrome, except for the cover.

On the other hand, to reach the mass market, the colored reader is probably neccessary. Far more people read magazines than read books.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
On the other hand, to reach the mass market, the colored reader is probably neccessary. Far more people read magazines than read books.
Colour and large screens. Not many magazines are published on 6" diagonal paper .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #94
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post

Agreed. I think color is key to many textbooks as well. Something as basic as the periodic table would be rendered less useful in black and white, for instance.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #95
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Colour and large screens. Not many magazines are published on 6" diagonal paper .
True.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #96
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
  1. They do color
  2. They do color
  3. They do color
  4. Not many of read all that much in direct sunlight
  5. A day of reading is good enough for most of us
  6. Better one device that may cost a bit more, but does a lot more
Yes, color is nice. Magazines, comics, newspapers, technical books, blogs look much better on my iPad than on my Kindle 2. I have iBooks, Kindle for iPad and Goodreader on my iPad.

Battery on the iPad is quite OK too.. enough power for a day. I can charge every night so it's not that big a deal.

Biggest problem for me is eyestrain. Yes I know some people call it fantasy but for me it's real. I tried reading a novel on my iPad (and sometimes I still do when my Kindle is not handy) but I just can't stand staring at the iPad to read novels for too long. Approx 30 minutes and my eyes start to hurt. Maybe because novels are mostly black text on bright white background with nothing else? I can stare at my notebook for much longer than I can on my iPad, but maybe because I have matte screen on my MBP? Dunno.. but those are the facts..
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #97
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
Yes, color is nice. Magazines, comics, newspapers, technical books, blogs look much better on my iPad than on my Kindle 2. I have iBooks, Kindle for iPad and Goodreader on my iPad.

Battery on the iPad is quite OK too.. enough power for a day. I can charge every night so it's not that big a deal.

Biggest problem for me is eyestrain. Yes I know some people call it fantasy but for me it's real. I tried reading a novel on my iPad (and sometimes I still do when my Kindle is not handy) but I just can't stand staring at the iPad to read novels for too long. Approx 30 minutes and my eyes start to hurt. Maybe because novels are mostly black text on bright white background with nothing else? I can stare at my notebook for much longer than I can on my iPad, but maybe because I have matte screen on my MBP? Dunno.. but those are the facts..
Yes, you have the brightness set too high. Eye strain and fatigue in the case of emissive displays is caused predominantly by the imbalance of brightness between the center of focus (the page, screen, whatever) and its surrounding environment.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #98
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
I think that despite the problems with the battery life and reading in sunlight, the iPad and similar are going to take a huge chunk out of the market for eReader potential market because:
  1. They do color
  2. They do color
  3. They do color
  4. Not many of read all that much in direct sunlight
  5. A day of reading is good enough for most of us
  6. Better one device that may cost a bit more, but does a lot more
That's what I would have thought, but I know "some people" for whom that logic doesn't apply. Maybe it's just me, but a device that covers all those bases doesn't seem analogous to using a screwdriver as a hammer. That said...

Quote:
...I think the iPad is largely wasted potential.
Don't worry, Jobs will magically unveil "new" functionality for it sometime next year or whenever the initial revenue swell dies down, whichever comes first.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #99
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
78.3% of statistics are meaningless...
9/10 dentists don't believe that....

Seriously tho'...I use my iPad almost exclusively for reading at present. Have only used the kobo a couple of times since purchasing.

Doesn't mean I won't use the kobo anymore. I anticipate using the kobo more when I go to the beach/park or am in transit as it's lighter to carry and can fit in my parka pocket (being Canadian this is something I worry about).

ND
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #100
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
The fact that half those surveyed responsed in the same way suggests something.
It probably suggests that it was a poorly written survey.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #101
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post
I wish tech writers would be a little more objective, instead of being blown about by the current fad.
Being blown away by the latest fad is what brings hits to their sites. Tech writes don't want to be objective, they want to make money.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #102
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Jobs declared the end of the desktop PC earlier this year as well. By my calendar, the desktop PC has been "ending" for the last 6 years but neither AMD nor Intel are exactly slashing prices on their latest-gen desktop hardware so once again it appears it's safe for us to just let the press continue thinking it knows anything about the subject.
I was reading articles 10+ years ago declaring the end of the internet.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #103
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I've been very entertained by the EPD-LCD feud and how the different sides act.
I think any such "feud" is mostly imaginary.

Quote:
Now that I think of it, most of the hostile reactions have been from EPD defenders who are angry at pseudojournalists for writing all those "iPad killing ereaders" articles. Regardless of the truth to those statements, it's easy for most any sensationalist writer to know which camp will react more strongly.
Such hostile reactions exist just about every time Apple comes out with a new product that is instantly hyped as the "greatest thing ever". It has nothing to do with EPD, or even eBooks. Same thing happened with the iPhone, iPod... etc. Reactions to the current iPad marketing machine are no different.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #104
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
How many ereader owners no longer want an iPad?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #105
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It probably suggests that it was a poorly written survey.
Have you seen the survey?
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote