Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
The em dash

Does anyone have a simple html file that successfully creates em dashes using Creator?

I have scoured the threads that mention em dashes but they are too obscure for my limited brain. One example of the correct html might just get me there...
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Simply use the HTML entity "—". Should work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Simply use the HTML entity "—". Should work just fine.
Thanks for that but if I knew how to work it into the HTML I wouldn't be so confused. One example is worth a thousand words...
Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Thanks for that but if I knew how to work it into the HTML I wouldn't be so confused. One example is worth a thousand words...
Code:
<p>This is a paragraph that needs&mdash;just for a while&mdash;an em dash</p>

Update -- I was going to show how it renders, but I can't find out which tags this forum uses to allow HTML.

If you're working with a text file that has used double hyphens as a substitute for the em dash ( -- ) then you can do a "change all" action in your editors to change the -- to &mdash;

Last edited by Elsi; 07-11-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What does work is to use @#151; as the em dash. It is what Book Designer outputs and Mobipocket Publisher handles it just fine.

P.S. replace the @ with an & as the forum software converts it to an em dash so I cannot show you properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Code:
<p>This is a paragraph that needs&mdash;just for a while&mdash;an em dash</p>
Update -- I was going to show how it renders, but I can't find out which tags this forum uses to allow HTML.
When I need to use an emdash in the text of a message here, I use "& #8212" (without the quotes and without space after the &). The forum software will then automatically convert it to an emdash character, like this:

Code:
<p>This is a paragraph that needs& #8212;just for a while& #8212;an em dash</p>
becomes
Code:
<p>This is a paragraph that needs—just for a while—an em dash</p>
This will work for other html codes like endash (& #8211 = –), bullet (& #8226; = •), etc. See the special characters wiki for the other codes.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
jessicapits
Banned
jessicapits began at the beginning.

Device: sony
You can use the HTML entity "&mdash".

www.slashedpricetag.com
jessicapits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Argel
Opinionated [but right]

Brilliant, thanks all.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicapits View Post
You can use the HTML entity "&mdash".

www.slashedpricetag.com
Don't forget the semicolon at the end, i.e. HTML entity "&mdash;".
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote