Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #121
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
because you have to *earn* the mozzlings. it's like a treasure hunt through the forum... you keep stumbling upon unexpected easter eggs.

(that doesn't mean you can't make "mozzling" thread, and we'll all jump in.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #122
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Reality is hard enough to deal with. A mozzled one would render anyone crazy.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #123
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh sure, blame your problems on *us*.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #124
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Reality is hard enough to deal with. A mozzled one would render anyone crazy.
Sane is boring...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #125
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
no, i mozzled that one just for the circumstances. i have been known to take liberties with my vocabulary.
The technical term, in case you want to be able to sound pedantic about it, is "overproductive morphology." Just thought I'd share.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #126
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The technical term, in case you want to be able to sound pedantic about it, is "overproductive morphology." Just thought I'd share.
ha ! nice ! but the technical term for what ? catharting or taking liberties with one's vocabulary ?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #127
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ha ! nice ! but the technical term for what ? catharting or taking liberties with one's vocabulary ?
Creating words from other words that aren't included in the "standard" vocabulary.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #128
zelda_pinwheel

oho, a competitor for "mozzling", in short... i like both of them.
*/trying to think of possible occasions i could slip them into conversations in the near future...
Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #129
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Well, "mozzle" is a verb, but this is a pedantic nominal phrase. In a sentence, you use it like this: "I have an overproductive morphology, you know." I think there are conversational opportunities for both. (I, by the way, am one of only two people I know to have a "pleonastic something.")
Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #130
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, "mozzle" is a verb, but this is a pedantic nominal phrase. In a sentence, you use it like this: "I have an overproductive morphology, you know." I think there are conversational opportunities for both. (I, by the way, am one of only two people I know to have a "pleonastic something.")
Never mind, some of us are rather more concise...
Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #131
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
would i be the other one ?

thanks for the further explanation. i'll be making up pretexts to use that a million times a day, i can tell.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #132
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
would i be the other one ?
Not that I know of. But I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in French, anyway.

Try these two sentences:

"It strikes me that there aren't enough cabinets in this kitchen."

"Something strikes me that there aren't enough cabinets in this kitchen."

The use of the word "it" in the first sentence is known as the "pleonastic it." That's a regular feature of English. Very few people (apparently, based on an informal poll of linguistics graduate students in the 1990's) think the second sentence is natural-sounding. It's ok from my point of view, and that exact sentence was uttered by a friend of mine (while looking at the cabinets in his kitchen, naturally). Perhaps I should start an unutterably silly poll to determine what proportion of Mobileread members would allow that sentence as grammatical.

Now, someone can complain and vent that we've thoroughly derailed this thread about complaining and venting....
Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #133
GeoffC

Quote:
Not that I know of. But I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in French, anyway.

Try these two sentences:

"It strikes me that there aren't enough cabinets in this kitchen."

The use of the word "it" in the first sentence is known as the "pleonastic it." That's a regular feature of English. Very few people (apparently, based on an informal poll of linguistics graduate students in the 1990's) think the second sentence is natural-sounding. It's ok from my point of view, and that exact sentence was uttered by a friend of mine (while looking at the cabinets in his kitchen, naturally). Perhaps I should start an unutterably silly poll to determine what proportion of Mobileread members would allow that sentence as grammatical.

Now, someone can complain and vent that we've thoroughly derailed this thread about complaining and venting....
I know I'm totally bamboozled by grammer, but I can't note anything incorrect in either of the sentences. To be both are equally valid...

How does one derail a thread. Every thread on MR starts off with a purpose and then meanders around like a drunken keyboard until it finds it's true place in the grand scheme...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #134
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
It strikes me that that sentence is very odd. No doubt about it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #135
GeoffC

I'd have a moan about a PC virus protection company, that is, if I wasn't still trying to be patient and calm in the cloisters....

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness