Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
denodan
Enthusiast
denodan doesn't litterdenodan doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story
iriver Story folder question?

I notice if you look at the folders in iriver Story, there is one called book, Adobe digtial editions, etc.

How do you get iriver Story to recognise other folders? What I mean is if I put the Adobe digtial editon books in the folder, turn on my iriver story, the books don't show up.

Seems any downloaded books have to go in the book folder to show up on my iriver story?

Can you not have books in the subdirectories?
denodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
the device only look for ebook in book folder

Digital Editions and .adobe-digital-editions was created by Adobe Digital Editions software on your pc
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
The left menu panel has an item called 'My Folder'. If you select that, you should be able to see all your folders.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
denodan,
Since I don't use file management software like Calibre or iRiver Plus 4 to copy files onto my Story or remove them -- I just use Windows Explorer -- I have manually created folders within the "Book" folder to help me group books in a way that seems logical to me from a file explorer window on my PC. I have created a couple of folders for specific authors, and a couple of others where I've put series of books (e.g. a trilogy) onto the device.

I'm using firmware version 1.71, and it finds all the books in the subfolders with no problem. It doesn't display the folders -- it lists all the books in the one single-level list, all sorted into alphabetical order -- but at least it sees all the books.

And I haven't installed Adobe Digital Editions, but still have a folder called .adobe-digital-editions on my Story, at the same level as the Books folder. It appears to be part of the operating system, because i tried deleting it, and the next time my machine rebooted, that folder was recreated.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
denodan
Enthusiast
denodan doesn't litterdenodan doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
denodan,
Since I don't use file management software like Calibre or iRiver Plus 4 to copy files onto my Story or remove them -- I just use Windows Explorer -- I have manually created folders within the "Book" folder to help me group books in a way that seems logical to me from a file explorer window on my PC. I have created a couple of folders for specific authors, and a couple of others where I've put series of books (e.g. a trilogy) onto the device.

I'm using firmware version 1.71, and it finds all the books in the subfolders with no problem. It doesn't display the folders -- it lists all the books in the one single-level list, all sorted into alphabetical order -- but at least it sees all the books.

And I haven't installed Adobe Digital Editions, but still have a folder called .adobe-digital-editions on my Story, at the same level as the Books folder. It appears to be part of the operating system, because i tried deleting it, and the next time my machine rebooted, that folder was recreated.

Good idea, subfolders within the book folder. Nice to know that.
denodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
When I got my Story it came with 100 free books. I had the top level folders you have named, like Books, Comics, etc, and under Books was a folder English Books containing the 100 free ones. I immediately created subfolders, one for each author, and moved the books into these subfolders. Some authors only had one, others, like Shakespeare and Jane Austen, had loads.

One advantage of this was that I could rename the books. I had a book by Chekhov the name of which I still don't know, since the book file is called "Anton Pavlovich Chekhov - Some book title" and only the first three words can be seen on the screen! I have discovered, btw, that you can call a book file "Author - Title" or just "Title" and the Story will allow you to create a Bookmark. But if the book file is called "Title - Author" you can't create a Bookmark. This option is just not available on the Options menu.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I have discovered, btw, that you can call a book file "Author - Title" or just "Title" and the Story will allow you to create a Bookmark. But if the book file is called "Title - Author" you can't create a Bookmark. This option is just not available on the Options menu.
That's distinctly weird. I can't see how that would happen, unless the "Author" phrase matches the name of the folder the file is in - maybe it then behaves like a command to change directory, so the OS doesn't see the file to apply the bookmark to?

James, I'm wondering which model of the Story you have? Is it using firmware version 1.71, or something newer?

I have the original model of the Story, bought about four months ago, and - here in Australia, at least - id didn't come with any books pre-installed. I've gone the sub-folder route, as I described above, but I still kinda covet the menuing capabilities of the Kobo. Have you seen its menu?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MacEachaidh, I bought my Story about a month ago here in Sweden. I assume it's the latest model, and yes it's running 1.71. That was one of the first things I checked - whether there was a firmware upgrade. I use it - at the moment - exclusively for epubs, although I did create a text file with the names of the Barchester Chronicles in order for when I get around to reading them. I mention this as I'll have a look soon and see if I have the problem some users have mentioned with .doc and .txt files.

Don't know whether it's a Swedish deal or maybe a EU deal, but it comes with 100 free epubs all of which appear to come from gutenberg.org, and are loaded in a subfolder of Books, called English Books. I assumed this was how it came from the manufacturer. Actually, one of the books was flawed, I think it was Sense and Sensibility, where clauses kept running into one another, especially if they were separated by the long hyphen, whatever its official name is. It was thus I found out about the problem of file names. I had the old "Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility" file under my Austen, Jane folder, so I removed it and added the new one as "Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen". Then I found I couldn't add a Bookmark (I also couldn't take away the bookmark from the original book which I had forgotten about). I renamed the new file to "Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility" and immediately I could use the old bookmark and remove it. I renamed the file to "Sense and Sensibility" and could still use the Bookmark option. I renamed it to "Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen" and couldn't use the Bookmark option. Back to the original file name and back came the Bookmark! Same file in all cases, and the author's name, Jane Austen, in the file name is not the same as the folder name, which is Austen, Jane, so it's not a clash of name and folder name as was suggested somewhere.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru

Nope, haven't seen the Kobo menu, but I did like the look of the Kobo. But it's not for sale in Sweden, prolly not in the EU anywhere yet.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser

I understand, James. I was wondering if you had the new wireless model - I know that's shipping in Britain, but I wasn't sure if it was available in Europe as well - which comes with an upgraded firmware. iRiver says the new firmware will be available for download for older models, but hasn't given the date or any info on what (if anything) might have changed. I wondered if the included ebooks were part of that newer firmware, but maybe it's just a marketing thing they've decided to do since I bought mine (early May this year). I notice a lot of ereader manufacturers are doing the same now. I know they're public domain, but I'd like to think Project Gutenberg is getting something out of the arrangement.

The bit about the bookmarks still strikes me as weird. I wondered about the folder name only because I don't see why the Story would distinguish between author name and book title - they're both just strings of words to the Story. If you're talking about a previously-created bookmark that it now doesn't recognise, well that would make sense, because the filename it references has now changed. But if you're talking about not being able to create new bookmarks with the filename one way but being able to with it the other, then that's Darned Odd.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Nope, haven't seen the Kobo menu, but I did like the look of the Kobo. But it's not for sale in Sweden, prolly not in the EU anywhere yet.
I liked many aspects of the Kobo, but by the time it became available here in Oz I'd already bought my Story. Besides, one thing I prefer about the Story is that it's not too small. I have hands big enough to hold basketballs one-handed, so devices that are too small grow uncomfortable for me and make my hands cramp. (I dislike most modern mobile phones and digital cameras for that very reason.) The Story is large enough to fit my hand, and gives me enough case edge to hold onto without getting fingerprints on the screen or pushing buttons by mistake.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
James_Wilde
Guru

Nope, MacEachaidh, I have the non-wireless model.

And no, I'm talking about new bookmarks. Try it and see. Although, now I come to think about it, if you didn't get the 100 free books, you've presumably only got books you've added yourself. How have you named them? How's your folder structure?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
MacEachaidh
Browser

Hi James,
Fair enough. You spoke about trying to open an "old bookmark", so I wasn't sure.

For my own part, I create my own folder structure. It's what makes sense to me, so I'm not advocating it for anyone else necessarily. I create folders by genre (Crime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy or whatever), then inside them folders by author name, then within those the book files. I name the book files "Title - Author"; if they're part of a series, I name them "Series XX - Title - Author" with a two digit volume number. That gets enough of the title on the Story's menu screen for me to distinguish the books clearly.

I tend to use my device mostly for reading fiction, though not exclusively. So up until now I haven't had a huge need for bookmarks. With novels, as long as the Story re-opens the book at the point where I left off reading, I'm content. (It doesn't, always, which is something I'd like to see iRiver sort out.)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru

You name them "Title - Author" and you can add a bookmark? Or maybe you don't add bookmarks. I don't myself now I've learnt that the Story retains info on where it was in a book last time the book was opened. But it would be interesting if you would test and see if you get the same result as I. With "Title - Author" no Bookmark option. With "Author - Title" or just "Title" you get the Bookmark option.