Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Aura h2o or voyage

Looking to treat my self to a new e reader. Really can't decide between the h2o and voyage. Currently have a kobo glo at the moment. Really like the openness of it, but also love my kk were you can just pick it up and not be distracted by the settings. Also if I leave my glo for a week or 2 the battery drains, my kindle kk never did this.
The larger screen on the kobo looks good, but worried about it being too heavy when reading at night.
The reason why I ended up with the kobo glo was because all the screen issues the original pw had, but I have been itching to back on a kindle. I jumped right on the voyage pre order (not decided if to go for 3g or not), but now I have looked at the h2o I am in 2 minds.
Love the look of the page press buttons on the kindle, really miss those from the kk so that's a huge selling point, the Amazon support also. Can't be beat. Just concerned if the screens will be patchy again.
As for the kobo, really tempted by the big screen, just hope it's not too big. Sd card reader is nice, but never used it on glo, but really want to start using it. The water protection is not really a big thing, it will come in handy walking to the office if I get drowned in a rain storm.
Really need help choosing, the screen and battery life are the big things. Then getting books onto it. Does kobo have any way to load books remotely if not purchase from kobo, and do you still need Kepub to make use of time left, etc
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
The Voyage isn't out yet, so this comparison is somewhat moot right now.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I wanted a H20 until the Voyage was announced. I ordered that instead. For me the advantages of the Amazon ecosystem out weighs the benefits of the H20. I already have an Aura so I'm familiar with the Kobo system and using Calibre to manage my Kobo.

For me Kobo produce nice devices but the customer service, the software, and the fact that I can't try one before I commit is enough to send me back to Amazon.

I do have to use plug ins on Calibre to manage the wasted space on a Kobo screen and to manage the collections. I also use a Kepub plug in to send my epubs to the Kobo as kpubs.

Personally I prefer the Amazon ecosystem where I can email my own books to my Kindle (I don't buy from Amazon, I buy from independant publishers) so as much as I'd like the H20 the Voyage (as long as it lives up to my expectations) is more my cup of tea.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
The Voyage isn't out yet, so this comparison is somewhat moot right now.
Exactly. I live in the UK where hopefully by the time I get the Voyage WHSmith will have demo models of the H20 in their stores.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Considering that both the readers weigh less than your average pbook, I don't think weight is really an issue.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for the H2O. You are less locked into one ecosystem then you would be with the Voyage. Plus, if having more options to customize how your eBook looks is important, then go with the H2O.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-06-2014 at 08:23 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
TGo for the H2O. You are less locked into one ecosystem then you would be with the Voyage. Plus, if having more options to customize how your eBook looks is important, then go with the H2O.
I don't really get your first point; Calibre will convert as readily to AZW3 as to EPUB if needed and both can be DRM-stripped. I do agree with with your second point: lots more tweakability on a Kobo. If that's important to you, the H2O wins.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I don't really get your first point; Calibre will convert as readily to AZW3 as to EPUB if needed and both can be DRM-stripped. I do agree with with your second point: lots more tweakability on a Kobo. If that's important to you, the H2O wins.
To be honest, when possible, I prefer to support the format that my Reader uses. That means buying ePub and not buying from Amazon. If I wanted to buy from Amazon, I'd have bought a Kindle. One other rather big advantage to the H2O, ePub. If you do not live in the US, Overdrive does not support the Kindle. Also, in the US< not all eBooks come with a Kindle edition. So if you do want to use Overdrive (in any country), get an H2O.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Looking to treat my self to a new e reader. Really can't decide between the h2o and voyage. Currently have a kobo glo at the moment. Really like the openness of it
Unless you really want the bigger screen, why not go for the voyage? Keep the Glo, it's a great device, and get the Voyage, too, since you really liked having an Amazon device.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd go with the H2O. The bigger screen is a plus and the same openness you have on your Glo is there.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just bought an H2O and am very happy with it. The only minor downside is the very lengthy wait for "Processing Content" after adding a large number of books (took about an hour to process 700 books), but that's a one-time thing - it processes a couple of new books in a few seconds. As far as the actual reading experience goes: it's pretty good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

The only way to remotely load ebooks on your Kobo is through a cloud account like Dropbox, you can't email books to it like you can a Kindle. Other than that for non Kobo books you need to load via the USB I.e Calibre.

At the end of the day only you can decide if you want a Kindle ereader or a Kobo. The Voyage is more expensive than the H20 but each device has advathages the other doesn't have. We can all say what we prefer but we aren't you.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The only way to remotely load ebooks on your Kobo is through a cloud account like Dropbox, you can't email books to it like you can a Kindle. Other than that for non Kobo books you need to load via the USB I.e Calibre.
Yep. I load all my content using Calibre, so absolutely not an issue for me. The Kindle's definitely more flexible when it comes to being able to email files to it, load content from Amazon's Cloud, sync reading position between multiple devices, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Kindle unlimited

Can any one tell me about kindle unlimited. I have amazon prime to had a look at what books I could read for free. Chose one call the maze runner and it made me sign upto kindle unlimited? Is this not part of prime.?

Also if you have a defective kindle and amazon send out a replacement, do you get a refurbished one or a new boxed one?
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Can any one tell me about kindle unlimited. I have amazon prime to had a look at what books I could read for free. Chose one call the maze runner and it made me sign upto kindle unlimited? Is this not part of prime.?

Also if you have a defective kindle and amazon send out a replacement, do you get a refurbished one or a new boxed one?
Kindle Unlimited is a service that costs 7.99 a month (in the UK) and you can borrow up to 10 books at a time to read and return, it's like a library.

For kindle replacements they normally send out refurbished devices.