Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Exclamation Baen Free Library Changes/Updated Includes Monthly Baen Bundles!!

Toni Weisskopf--the publisher of Baen Books--just posted this in her forum at Baen's Bar:

Quote:
When we do go live on third party platforms (and it is a when now, not an if), we'll have to make some changes to the Baen Free Library. I suggest everyone backup whatever they've got now and spread the word, as there will be titles we have to take down. We'll be keeping as many as possible and will continue adding new titles as practical.

--Toni
Update

Quote:
Toni has released more information - there will be a move to a new system and some titles/authors are being removed from the Free Library:

"When we do go live on third party platforms (and it is a when now, not an if), we'll have to make some changes to the Baen Free Library. I suggest everyone backup whatever they've got now and spread the word, as there will be titles we have to take down. We'll be keeping as many as possible and will continue adding new titles as practical."

System conversions always have risk, even when you try to minimize it, back up your files, folks.

James
Update II:
12/07/2012

Quote:
We'll also be restoring as many titles as possible to the BFL*. We are preparing Second Editions of many of the works, with additional material, that will be offered for sale. The First Editions without the added material will be in the Free Library. Slowly, slowly it all comes together.

--Toni

Quote:
The way third party platforms work is that if a work is offered anywhere else for a lower price, they will automatically reduce their price to match this. This includes books offered for free as promotions. So the choice is never be able to sell a book anywhere, or remove the book from the free library. We have selected a third way. See previous post in re: second editions and first editions.

--Toni
Update III:
12/07/2012

Quote:
Just so; we are trying to avoid that automated process.

In re: discount monthly bundles—one of the results of our negotiations is that we will be able to continue offering these. They will be available only from the Baen site, as will eARCs. But once the books are published in print, they will also go up to third parties as individual titles, and the discount bundles will *poof* disappear. This was the closest I could get to having our cake and eating it too (i.e. making available our titles to the largest possible audience—something our writers want and deserve).

--Toni
Quote:
I should also add as part of this process we are taking our ebook royalties and improving the author’s share by 25%.--Toni
Update IV:

Toni said this about the Monthly Baen Bundles:

Quote:
This is going to be happening very soon, days rather than months. So get ‘em while they are hot.--toni
Soon--I say sometime next week--the only bundles will be the ones that are not yet in the book stores as print editions.

So if their are Monthly Baen Bundles that you want, buy now.

bernie

*Baen Free Library

Last edited by gbm; 12-07-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: update
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I noticed there are fewer books in the free library. Lucky I grabbed them all before they were taken off!

So I gather that Baen is making their books available on other stores? Hopefully they will be available on the Kobo store, then I can just buy them there with Chapters gift cards instead of having to send a money order to Baen.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I noticed there are fewer books in the free library. Lucky I grabbed them all before they were taken off!

So I gather that Baen is making their books available on other stores? Hopefully they will be available on the Kobo store, then I can just buy them there with Chapters gift cards instead of having to send a money order to Baen.
Google Play has been rumored to be one of the stores.

I use a prepaid debit card.

bernie
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have read 2 of the free books (first 2 in the Honor Harrington series) and I have purchased 1 from them. All safely reside in Calibre on my computer.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have been buying from Baen for a good many years now.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I have read 2 of the free books (first 2 in the Honor Harrington series) and I have purchased 1 from them. All safely reside in Calibre on my computer.
It's a good start.
If you like the Harrington books, try WITH THE LIGHTNINGS and LT. LEARY COMMANDING.
The Harrington books started out as a space opera version of Horatio Hornblower, and the RCN series are a space opera version of the Aubrey/Maturin series. Both are a lot of fun.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It's a good start.
If you like the Harrington books, try WITH THE LIGHTNINGS and LT. LEARY COMMANDING.
The Harrington books started out as a space opera version of Horatio Hornblower, and the RCN series are a space opera version of the Aubrey/Maturin series. Both are a lot of fun.
I just can't get into the Harrington books, but the RCN series is really good (though Adele is a twit). Sort of an Aubrey/Maturin series in space. Think I'm up to #6 or #7 in the series.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard

Original post has been updated

bernie
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Can anyone offer further suggestions on what they enjoyed and we should grab from the Baen Free Library while we can?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I love the Honor Harrington series. You can get the first 2 free at Baen.

On Basilisk Station

The Honor of the Queen
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Interstellar Patrol byChristopher Anvil
Great Kings War by Roland Green and John F. Carr. This is a sequel to H. Beam Piper's Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen.
Anything by David Drake (and there is a lot)
Anything by Eric Flint including Mother of Demons.
Rats, Bats and Vats by David Freer.
Harold by David Freedman
Retif by Keith Laumer
Narch Up Country by David Weber and John Ringo
The Telzy and Trigger books by James H. Schmitz
Oath of Swords and War Gods Own by David Weber
Crusade by David Weber and Steve White
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
JeffZ
Zealot
JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
The David Weber books would be my recommendation as well.
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Make it easy: grab everything.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Make it easy: grab everything.
I like the cut of your jib.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I love the classics! Get the Keith Laumer, James H. Schmitz, Christopher Anvil, etc.

But (and I have no inside info here) as older titles these may be safe for the future. Still, it doesn't take much time to download them to a little flash drive. Just to be safe.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote