Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why put out an eBook you don't know what to do with?

I recently bought the new Millennium Edition of So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane. I've had a look at the code. It's a Calibre conversion of some source and then run through Sigil. She (or whoever is her eBook maker) has no clue how to make a good eBook.

The code is a mess on top of a mess. And it has all of those nice SGC styles all over the place. And then there are the filenames for the XML files that have not been fixed. For a professional author, she should be ashamed of releasing an eBook like this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Probably the usual sad reason - money - from a "new" edition of a known title.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Most people don't ever see the (messy) code.

The big questions:
Did the book work on a Reader device?
Did the book have DISPLAY errors (typos, gross text format issues)?

What is outrageous is some people, without the skills, charge the author $$ to code these e-books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Most people don't ever see the (messy) code.

The big questions:
Did the book work on a Reader device?
Did the book have DISPLAY errors (typos, gross text format issues)?

What is outrageous is some people, without the skills, charge the author $$ to code these e-books
I've not looked close enough (yet) to see if there are any errors. But there are formatting issues that should be fixed. The book is formatted left justified instead if justified and the cover is not aspect ratio correct and it shows. So to fix these issues, I do have to see the code and how bad it is.

Given how simple these books would be formatted, I'd be happy to do it for just $.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-19-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
These particular books are *not* a money grab.
They are updatings for accessibility of a Young Adult series that goes back to the 80's and where computer tech is integral to the story. Ms Duane thought that a universe-saving computer magically built out of a "state-of-the -art" Apple II wouldn't fly these days. (Even among Apple's stockholders.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've also noticed because an old version of Calibre (0.7.45), the fixes to the smarten punctuation are not there and I have noticed in a few places where the ending quote is incorrect.

Keep Calibre updated as it gets fixed and some of the fixes are rather important.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For a professional author, she should be ashamed of releasing an eBook like this.
There are vast legions who should be ashamed. Sadly, we live in an era that knows no shame.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recently bought the new Millennium Edition of So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane. I've had a look at the code. It's a Calibre conversion of some source and then run through Sigil. She (or whoever is her eBook maker) has no clue how to make a good eBook.

The code is a mess on top of a mess. And it has all of those nice SGC styles all over the place. And then there are the filenames for the XML files that have not been fixed. For a professional author, she should be ashamed of releasing an eBook like this.
How'd the book read?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How'd the book read?
Haven't moved to my Kindle, but under calibre it looks just fine. But then I'm not anal about underlying ugly code. I just want to read the book.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well,I've cleaned up the code. It did not actually take long. I loaded it into Sigil, fixed the ToC, fixed the cover XML, renamed the files and then cleaned up the CSS/XML. Didn't take too long to do so.

It wasn't bad looking on the outside except for the cover and not being justified. The indents were larger then I prefer. Also, I fixed the first paragraph of every chapter and after each section break to have no indent. With an eBook, if you don't have no-indent, you can miss a section break when it hits on the end of the screen.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thank God that's taken care of.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thank God that's taken care of.
Ah, but you'll have to buy your own copy and fix it yourself, because Jon can't distriubute his fixed up copy.

I wonder if they found the bits that were 18px? On a 72 or 90 dpi screen, it's not such a big deal. On a 167 dpi e-ink screen it's kind of tiny. That was in my International Edition. I haven't decided whether or not to buy this new edition.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote