Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #241
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i suppose that's better than a one-night-stand!

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #242
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Mine does too. We Kentuckians are a laid-back people and can't be bothered with getting in a hurry about things.
We Kentuckians have to stick together. Especially those of us that live have to live in Indiana!

The Evansville, Indiana Public Library system went live with Kindle loans today.

Woo hoo!

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #243
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Does this mean libraries will have to buy books in Kindle format too? Their budgets are already strained.

If so, how do they decide which format to buy when they're only buying one copy? When buying multiple copies, will they split the order and get 1/2 ePub and 1/2 Kindle; thereby doubling wait times when all copies are checked out?
OverDrive is pleased to announce that Amazon® Kindle compatibility with your U.S. public or school library’s eBook collection is here. See the press release. This update, which is included at no additional cost to OverDrive partner libraries, allows most existing eBooks in your library’s collection to be read on all Kindle devices or by using free Kindle apps for iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ and other mobile devices.

Pls check your information...................................

markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #244
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
OverDrive is pleased to announce that Amazon® Kindle compatibility with your U.S. public or school library’s eBook collection is here. See the press release. This update, which is included at no additional cost to OverDrive partner libraries, allows most existing eBooks in your library’s collection to be read on all Kindle devices or by using free Kindle apps for iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ and other mobile devices.

Pls check your information...................................

That's an old post and quite speculative with little facts to go on at the time.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #245
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If you think about how Amazon has done this lending (have you tried it yet?), then you might suspect that it does not cost the library any more money then they currently pay. Amazon does all the work of delivering the books.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #246
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's an old post and quite speculative with little facts to go on at the time.
From April 20th:

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/20...s-and-schools/

"Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.
[...]
Karen Estrovich is manager of content sales for OverDrive."
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #247
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
If you think about how Amazon has done this lending (have you tried it yet?), then you might suspect that it does not cost the library any more money then they currently pay. Amazon does all the work of delivering the books.
I've already downloaded several books and it's easier than doing EPUBs through ADE. Amazon implemented it quite nicely.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #248
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
From April 20th:

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/20...s-and-schools/

"Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.
[...]
Karen Estrovich is manager of content sales for OverDrive."
Fine; but I had not seen that announcement at the time of my post.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #249
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
I agree! I was very pleased at how easy and fast it was. I downloaded the same book to my Kindle and my Kindle app on my iPad. It syncs great, just like a normal kindle book.

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #250
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Awesomeness! Just downloaded my first library book on the Kindle - easy as pie
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #251
Schpock
Schpock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello everyone! My name is Zach and I have been a Kindle user and lover since July. Ever since I heard that the Kindle was going to release library lending I have been desperately seeking news to find out when....however today I saw that it was released in some of the members' libraries and was extremely lucky to find out that my library in Virginia Beach, Virginia now lends Kindle format books as well! I already got two books..one of which I was already set on buying after hearing about it on my favorite radio program Coast to Coast AM. I'm so glad to borrow books from the library
Schpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #252
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schpock View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Zach and I have been a Kindle user and lover since July. Ever since I heard that the Kindle was going to release library lending I have been desperately seeking news to find out when....however today I saw that it was released in some of the members' libraries and was extremely lucky to find out that my library in Virginia Beach, Virginia now lends Kindle format books as well! I already got two books..one of which I was already set on buying after hearing about it on my favorite radio program Coast to Coast AM. I'm so glad to borrow books from the library
Hey Zach, welcome to the board. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. In the meantime, enjoy yourself.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #253
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Some asked about Amazon, Overdrive and the ePub format, the cost to libraries of an added format , and how it works.

On April 21, I posted how it would work based on various Overdrive and Amazon statements and it turned out to match what happened this week.

Here's the post, which I took out of mothballs on Kindle Library day :-)

=======
' [April 21, 2011]

MY INTERPRETATION of this varies from others' I've seen
Caveat: It's only my interpretation and nothing more, but I think it has a good basis.
' Estrovich is writing to partners who have OverDrive-powered ‘Virtual Branch’ websites for the Overdrive library e-books program. This is important to an understanding of what she's describing.

The existing collection of a partner's downloadable titles will be available to Kindle customers.

When the partners add new ebooks to their collections available for loan, those titles will be available in Kindle- and ePUB formats for lending. No one will have to, to my mind, convert from ePUB to Amazon's mobi format, as some have written -- for the reasons given below.

This indicates strongly that the titles in Amazon Kindle/mobi format will be available from Amazon's servers directly once the requirements are met for the loan of a title to a Kindle customer.

It's the only way Amazon would be able to (1) synchronize between the various Kindle/compatible devices and (2) back up annotations for a customer. This would be done via matching the server's usual Amazon-formatted e-book and the copy on the customer's Kindle.

The partners' libraries will not need to purchase any additional units as the partners are purchasing TITLES from a publisher via Overdrive, and the partners can decide which format a customer will get, depending on the customer selection of "destination" device. Again, no conversion would be needed.

Amazon wouldn't be using ePUB-formatted books that are transformed, nor would ePUB books be affected.

Most important, this would mean the partners' existing copies and units would continue to work, as-is, totally unaffected.

The reason is that the Kindle ebooks would be handled (and sync'd and backed up) by Amazon servers. The delivery of the Kindle format books to Kindle customers would not affect the ePub books in the overall collection one iota. The e-books that Overdrive partners offer will be available in both formats.

There would still be DRM involved in the library loan but probably Amazon's DRM rather than Adobe's. I think that Amazon resisted partially because they don't want to pay Adobe for their DRM process when they have their own (and apparently they don't want to switch to ePub).

This would be a better solution than most had expected. '

=======

On May 11, I listened to and referenced Kindle Director Jay Marine's interview with TheKindle Chronicles in which he actually said that:

1) they were going for 'seamless' wireless delivery (rather than the kludge of computer transfer with most library lending of Adobe DRM'd ePub books),

2) the by-"location" tracking of annotations, which Amazon does on its servers for its Kindle-formatted books, and

3) the fact that Adobe DRM would NOT be involved

All of that meant Amazon would take over the serving of the books, and they already have the books in their own format and have more contemporary e-books than any other online-store. B&N's numbers heavily relyon the 1.5 million or so e-books that Google let them have for direct download.

Re number of books available, I saw a post on the Kindle forums last night that said:

" Interesting. In Salt Lake County Libraries, it shows 13,522 Kindle books, and 10,767 Adobe eBooks. "

Whatever anyone thinks about Amazon's reluctance to use ePub and pay $ to Adobe for their DRM for that, we get a pretty good choice now.

What I can't get from Amazon even with its Kindle apps for everything (even webOS), I can get for my NookColor or Pocket Edge (which now has v2.2.1, thanks to people's advice in this forum).
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote