Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cost of ebooks you've read this year?

I've been keeping track of the ebooks I read this year. I've just finished "Use of Weapons" by Iain M. Banks, and that takes me to 154 books and (by a strange fluke) to exactly $500.00 spent on those 154 ebooks.

I suspect that soon most of my ebook purchases will in in pounds sterling rather than dollars, now that Fictionwise is declining. So this is probably the last year I'll account for my books in dollars only. (Even though I have sufficient backlog to keep going for a couple of years!)

Hmm... $500 is about £320, and we're almost exactly 320 days into the year. A £1/day reading habit....

How much is your reading habit?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
So far this year, my total reading habit -- both p and e books -- has run $3,727.42 (I keep track of expenses in Quickbooks). I can't tell you the exact number of books I have bought this year as I no longer track that, but a rough estimate would be 85+ hardcover books and 200+ ebooks, largely from Sony and Smashwords, although occasionally from Barnes & Noble.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have not kept a record, but my estimate is less than $100. I really enjoy reading the freebies offered by our proud new authors. I count 10 Discworld books at $7.99 each since i got my ipad. There are a handful of books in my kindle app that i got for about $2.99 each.

I probably read about 50 books, not including all od the shorter works that were Hugo and Nebulla nominees.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
So far this year, my total reading habit -- both p and e books -- has run $3,727.42 (I keep track of expenses in Quickbooks). I can't tell you the exact number of books I have bought this year as I no longer track that, but a rough estimate would be 85+ hardcover books and 200+ ebooks, largely from Sony and Smashwords, although occasionally from Barnes & Noble.
Ah — but that's not what I asked, I asked how much the one's you've /read/ this year have cost you!

Hmm... 85 hardcovers at $20ea is $1700, and 200 ebooks at $10ea is $2000. Expensive ebooks, compared to me — my average ebook cost is under $4.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
$2.99 and it was by mistake

Since this is my first e-reader (and I got it like 3 weeks ago) I'm still reading freebies.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I do buy them once in a while but this past year I was bombarded with so many awesome free classics from finding this site that I stuck to rereading them.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I spend way too much on books and just try not to keep track ot it anymore. But here goes: I think I buy about for $60 on ebooks per month = appr. 20 books = about $3 a book. But lately I've started re- reading the free classics of MR and Feedbooks, so I think my average will go down to zero on ebooks; if I can resists Amazon's recommandations.
Still buy paperbooks as well, though.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... 85 hardcovers at $20ea is $1700, and 200 ebooks at $10ea is $2000. Expensive ebooks, compared to me — my average ebook cost is under $4.
Very few of my hardcovers cost me less than $25; most seem to be about $30-$35. I didn't include in the ebook figure the free ebooks I have downloaded. I didn't consider them a "purchase". I've downloaded at least another 50-75 free ebooks so far this year.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Under $50 since August, when I got my first device, for about 8 books -- the rest have been free library books!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
$14. I bought a short story from Amazon for $1.99 and a couple books from Baen.

I also bought several from Fictionwise, but I already owned them physically and so haven't actually re-read them yet on
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
if you count the $139 for the kindle then i think the total
would be about $139. there are so many free classics and others
out there, i haven't bought one yet.
course, i have only had my kindle a couple of weeks. i bet next year
i will buy some books.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
922 books for $996.89 according the the shelfari spreadsheet I just downloaded.

That's not too bad - right?

And no, I haven't read them all. I have read almost all the ones I've paid for though. Almost.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I haven't kept track of my purchases. I've read 40 or so books, many from the Baen Free Library. I'd guess I've spent on the order of $200

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Since October 15th:

Kindle 3 $0 (gift)
96 ebooks $14.86
4 games $0

And the $14.86 was already in my Amazon account from all the gift cards I get from my points sites so I essentially have spent nothing.

Being new to the eReader world there are lots of (legal) freebies to keep me busy. I also get lots of promo freebies from Amazon so I don't anticipate ever having to spend lots of money on my ebooks.

EDIT: I have actually read 29 of the books so far.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 11-28-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: forgot something
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
According to Mint.com...Ugh...$1,212.88. Don't know how many books exactly, but that's 47 purchases.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote