Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #18526
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, clearly there is some agreement here. I have more than enough good books in my TBR that I don't force myself to struggle through something I'm not enjoying.
Thanks all. I'll endeavour to give her a miss.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #18527
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I started The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff today; very nearly considered giving up before even reaching the end of the first chapter, as it had a far too big a focus on (mercifully off-screen) sex, with family-encouraged breeding plans and casual threesomes and more-somes between cousins and what not, for my taste (and not really what I expected from what I assumed was regular urban fantasy), but in chapter two the actual plot kicked in and I'm rather glad now I pressed onwards - I'm enjoying it a whole lot more than I expected, given the not-my-cup-of-tea-at-all beginning.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #18528
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished The Man in the Queue, by Josephine Tey. Her first Alan Grant mystery, and not really her best. But I did enjoy it, though not as much as her later ones.

Next up, an early Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself. I have been putting off this book for nearly a year, but it came well recommended and I think I'm going to have to give it a try.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-06-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Title was wrong
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #18529
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, an early Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself. I have been putting off this book for nearly a year, but it came well recommended and I think I'm going to have to give it a try.
I just read this book a few weeks ago, after also having put it off for a year or so. I enjoyed reading the First Law trilogy, I hope you enjoy it too!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #18530
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now reading my newest purchase, (it was just £0.99 at Amazon UK today), highly recommend by Time Magazine and some members of MobileRead.

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Interesting, and well-written, but an unsatisfactory ending spoiled it for me.

It's a science fiction or alternate history story but written as literary or historical fiction. So it's the characters and the depiction of them and their surroundings that's the central point of the book, and there is no resolution or even a hint as to why this person is living her life over and over again, which meant that for me the book just stopped rather than having any kind of satisfactory end point.

Disappointing.

Next I read Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction by Jo Walton

This is a few glimpses into her "small change" universe, but in the US, not the UK/Europe. I suspect I aleady had it in one of the Tor freebie collections, but I didn't realise. OK, but only if you've read some of her "small change" series, as there's no plot as such.

Now reading: Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

Looking very good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #18531
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
The challenge is going to be working out what sequence to read them in, or is it as simple as following the year 1632, 1633, 1634 etc.? Problem there is there seem to be more than one with the same date, and some later ones return to previous years...

Off to FictFact to see if that can help me sort it out.
Can anyone help me out here? FictFact says the second book in the Assiti Shards series is 1633, but on the Baen Books site there is a 1632, Second Edition, as well as 1633, both under The Ring of Fire series. Which is #2 in the series (and are Assiti Shards and The Ring of Fire synonymous)?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #18532
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
1632, 2nd Edition is the same book with a new Afterword. 1633 is the second book in the series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #18533
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
1632, 2nd Edition is the same book with a new Afterword. 1633 is the second book in the series.
Apache
Thanks Apache.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #18534
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(and are Assiti Shards and The Ring of Fire synonymous)?
Not quite. Eric's original plan was to have a series of novels all looking at different time dislocations caused by the Assiti - the Assiti Shards series. In reality, 1632 was so successful that there haven't been many other stories. Time Spike is the only novel, and some associated short stories have appeared in the Grantville Gazette.

So 1632 is part of the Assiti Shards series, but The Ring of Fire series is the name of the series of novels and stories that actually follow on from the 1632 novel.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #18535
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Not quite. Eric's original plan was to have a series of novels all looking at different time dislocations caused by the Assiti - the Assiti Shards series. In reality, 1632 was so successful that there haven't been many other stories. Time Spike is the only novel, and some associated short stories have appeared in the Grantville Gazette.

So 1632 is part of the Assiti Shards series, but The Ring of Fire series is the name of the series of novels and stories that actually follow on from the 1632 novel.
Thanks for the clarification. Does an explanation for who the Assiti are come up in later novels, as I haven't come across any details in 1632?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #18536
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Does an explanation for who the Assiti are come up in later novels, as I haven't come across any details in 1632?
No, it doesn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #18537
ronaldl
Enthusiast
ronaldl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am reading "The Mandarin's Fan" that I downloaded from "Project Guttenberg".
ronaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #18538
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
No more than is explained in 1632. They are a descendent race of Man from the far future who like playing around with time and space. They eventually get wiped out by another descendent race because they won't stop.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #18539
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
No more than is explained in 1632. They are a descendent race of Man from the far future who like playing around with time and space. They eventually get wiped out by another descendent race because they won't stop.
Oh yes, I do remember that now .
Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #18540
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
This year for Christmas my daughter gifted me Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years by Carl Sandburg. Sandburg was a poet and reporter who grew up in Galesburg, Illinois, the site of the fifth Lincoln-Douglas debate. Born in 1878, Sandburg had access to people who had personal knowledge of Lincoln. Sandburg planned and worked on his biography of Lincoln for decades, publishing The prairie Years (2 volumes) in 1926, and The War Years (4 volumes) in 1942. He later produced a condensed edition in 1954, which is the version that seems to be currently available electronically to some lucky people. It's hard to get an electronic version; available at amazon.com as an MP3 CD, and Barnes & Noble as a Nook book. Amazon Canada and Kobo Canada sing not the Sandburg electric. Maybe some public benefactor will produce an ebook in 2042 (Sandburg died in 1967), unless copyright gets extended again to life plus 500 or some other reasonable extension. I've wanted to read it for decades, and consider myself fortunate to have gotten the full version, even if in a 1926 printing on disintegrating chemical pulp.

It is the best biography I have read of Lincoln's formative years, ending with his farewell speech at Springfield as his train takes him east to Washington, death, and glory. If you ever feel the need to read a biography of Lincoln which attempts to explain him as a person, this is the one. The depth of detail and the literary quality (Sandburg had two poetry Pulitzers) are outstanding.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote