Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
cruzes
cruzes began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
problem with fonts after firmware update on Cybook Gen3

Hello,

I was using the "External CSS field" option to include fonts that are installed in the cybook on my epub documents. This is explained in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587

This is the kind of entry I include on my documents:

@font-face {
font-style: normal;
font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///mnt/fat/Fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);
}

Just recently I decided to update the firmware to 2.0, and now the correct fonts are no longer displayed. This has rendered some of my documents confusing (I am lucky to only need western fonts, but I am using different fonts to distinguish notes from the main text).

Does anyone have any idea why this has stopped working? I wanted to avoid using embedded fonts on my documents because it increases the size of the file significantly (and is also a lot of work to start embedding fonts in all my books...).

I checked that in the file system/.fonts.cache-1 and the fonts seem to be still on the same directory: /mnt/fat/Fonts/, just like stated in the css entry. So this is quite mysterious.

Thanks for any feedback,

C. Martins
cruzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This isn't a Calibre issue. It's a Gen3 issue.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
John, please...
What do you know about it ? You don't even own a cybook ! What's the matter with you ? Go play with your PRS-505...

You had 1.9 on Gen3 ? And fonts used to work ?

I did some test, that seams indead not to work. And i can't see why either.
Maybe someone using that will be able to tell. Else, you should mail bookeen.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-31-2010 at 03:34 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzes View Post
Hello,

I was using the "External CSS field" option to include fonts that are installed in the cybook on my epub documents. This is explained in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587

This is the kind of entry I include on my documents:

@font-face {
font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///mnt/fat/Fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);
}

Just recently I decided to update the firmware to 2.0, and now the correct fonts are no longer displayed. This has rendered some of my documents confusing (I am lucky to only need western fonts, but I am using different fonts to distinguish notes from the main text).

Does anyone have any idea why this has stopped working? I wanted to avoid using embedded fonts on my documents because it increases the size of the file significantly (and is also a lot of work to start embedding fonts in all my books...).

I checked that in the file system/.fonts.cache-1 and the fonts seem to be still on the same directory: /mnt/fat/Fonts/, just like stated in the css entry. So this is quite mysterious.

Thanks for any feedback,

C. Martins
Using unofficial, and unsupported method to force USER to put font in his device, will one day or another broke without explaination.

The Cybook will search for a font within the embedded fonts and the user font folder. If you want to use one of them, just ask for the font name, not the font path.
Using path to the font will never be an official way, and could broke anytime. (and is by the way the ugliest method I ever seen. Font should be embedded not externalisez if you want to force one) or use standard CSS way to ask for a font: font-family
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

do'h!

I should have realised that... The cybook will add the font to the list of it's known fonts, and find it with only the name.
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
cruzes

Thanks for your replies.

JSWolf, you are kind of right, but since one needs to use Calibre to do the work, I thought I had a better chance at getting answered among calibre users.
I have now realized that the original thread was in the Epub forum and I will post my problem there if I cannot solve the problem here.

EowynCarter, I did mail Bookeen. I do not expect much help from them. When I bought my Cybook it came with a box and a manual that claimed it read mobipocket, but I was not able to, so I emailed them. I never got an answer. After spending quite a few hours googling for an answer I discovered that it only reads epub. That is how I started using Calibre, to convert mobi to epub... If they answer me this time I will post the solution here, in case other people find it useful.

Godzil,

I would be happy to use the official (but I do not know anything about it, as you can read from my answer to EowynCarter) and supported method as long as it works. The method I was using was supported in firmware 1.9 and that is why I was using it. It should be supported since using paths is standard CSS and hence standard epub format. The same method works on other readers like sony and nook according to posts I read on this forum.

I actually did try to use the fonts as local fonts, but that did not work, that is why I started using full path. It was not supported in firmware 1.9.

With the new firmware, the problem seems to be that it does not handle fonts with different variants properly. When I just ask for the font name, the Cybook will, for example, use the small-caps variant instead of the regular one. I went and deleted the small-caps from my Font directory since I do not need them and then everything was in bold font. As I need the bold font for my document, I decided to stop here and ask for help.

I will give some details of my failed attempts, in case anyone can tell what am I doing wrong:

1. Using the Cybook menu to change fonts: it may work on not depending on the font one uses and the epub file. If the font has variants, the file is displayed with the wrong one as I stated above. If the epub file uses CSS to define the font, this option does not work (even if the cybook was unable to find the font and is using the default font).
2. Using CSS, I tried the correct way
@font-face { font-family: "Fontin";
font-weight : normal;
src: local("Fontin"); }
and I got the variant problem stated above.
3. I tried using the actual name for the file of the font, to avoid that problem:
src: local(Fontin-Regular.otf);
or
src: url(Fontin-Regular.otf);
but none worked.

C. Martins
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

Firmware 2.0 reads ePub, firmware 1.5 reads mobi.

If i get this right, you can skip the @font-face part. And just write stuff like

p{font-family:"Fontin"} or maybe p{font-family:Fontin}
Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
The reason for this being that Mobipocket forbids use of its DRM on any device that also reads Adobe ePub DRM. (Mobipocket is owned by Amazon...)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I think she already knows this
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Ah, then my help is out there shared for any others in similar difficulty...

However, are you sure? Reading through cruzes' posts above it's clear that she (he?) now understands that there are two firmware options on the Cybook, but it's not clear that the reason for that is known (Mobipocket restricting simultaneous use of their DRM on devices with Adobe DRM). I felt this bit of information was helpful to deflect frustration away from Bookeen.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard

Godzil meant that I know. Not cruzes.
And yes, i should have explained the whole of it.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Graham
Wizard

Ahhhhhhh. I see what happened there now, Eowyn.

And I should have made it clear that I was quoting you to pass on information for cruzes, rather than informing you.

Anyone else reading the thread? Move along please. Nothing to see here...
Old 04-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #14
cruzes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

If i get this right, you can skip the @font-face part. And just write stuff like

p{font-family:"Fontin"} or maybe p{font-family:Fontin}
This is exactly what does not work in the Cybook (even though it should, you are right). Unfortunately, I get the wrong variant of the font, like small-caps or bold, as I stated before. That is why I need to use @font-face and I need to define the path to the normal font. At least this is my understanding.

Thanks for your help.

C. Martins
Old 04-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Why not specify this in the css too ?
font-style: normal