Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Should human life be extended?

I just finished "The Cabinet of Curiosities," an incredible read that has an amazing narrative drive.

On one level, this novel is about a serial killer who attempts (at first) to extend his own life. However, the novel - a potboiler in the best sense of the word - tackles other issues that leave room for thought. (I won't say more, because I don't want to inadvertently include any spoilers.)

In the novel, the question arises about whether one should (if one could) extend human life by...say...200 years.

Here's an interesting passage from the book:

"What about the immeasurable increase in wisdom that this discovery will bring, when you consider the one, maybe two hundred years, of additional learning and study it will afford the brilliant mind?....[Think what] Einstein could have done for humanity with a two hundred-year life span."

[Another character comments]: "The wise and good are outnumbered a thousand to one by the brutal and stupid. When you give an Einstein two centuries to perfect his science, you give a thousand others two centuries to perfect their brutality. [Ital mine.]"

This is a very interesting argument, but I'm wondering what thoughts other members have on this idea.

I must add again that this book, "The Cabinet of Curiosities," by Douglas Preston is one of the most entertaining novels I've read in years.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Aren't physicists and mathematicians burned out by thirty?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Aren't physicists and mathematicians burned out by thirty?
Why should they?
They perhaps (I really dont know) are not as brilliant with regard to the development of completely new approaches or hyphothesis - but this does not neccessarily imply that they are worthless (from a point of view that only incorporates expected publications and ideas in the future).
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
[Another character comments]: "The wise and good are outnumbered a thousand to one by the brutal and stupid. When you give an Einstein two centuries to perfect his science, you give a thousand others two centuries to perfect their brutality. [Ital mine.]"
This seems a very silly argument. Can it possibly be that we have the perfect length of lifespan? Or should we take this argument further, and murder anyone over 40? After all, then the brutal and stupid have less time to perfect their brutality.

I would welcome a method of extending healthy human lifespan. Any problems it brings would be far outweighed by the benefit of not dying.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Look what happened when we doubled life expectancy. Population growth took off exponentially! Think what would happen if we tripled it again.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, life expectancy should be extended. Me first.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Yes, life expectancy should be extended. Me first.
You wanna be an alpha-tester???
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Give us 50-100 years for more research and we'll have it. (It'll be suppressed, of course.) For a particularly nasty version of that outcome, read Buying Time by Joe Haldeman.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
tirsales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Give us 50-100 years for more research and we'll have it. (It'll be suppressed, of course.)
What make's you so sure of this (both statements)?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I honestly feel like I need an extra couple thousand years. I'm living as fast as I can, but there are still so many things I want to see and do! But only if Tim is an alpha tester also. It would all be meaningless without him.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Look what happened when we doubled life expectancy. Population growth took off exponentially! Think what would happen if we tripled it again.
Maybe only extend it for people who haven't had children.

Parents will still have to shuffle off, to make room for their offspring.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm not sure if the planet can take it. As it is, I have a feeling we're already consuming more than our fair share of available resources.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm not sure if the planet can take it. As it is, I have a feeling we're already consuming more than our fair share of available resources.
We will have plenty of time, however, for a long long ride to another world. Wouldn't even have to be a fancy rocket, because what harm would hard vacuum do to us immortals?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Maybe only extend it for people who haven't had children.

Parents will still have to shuffle off, to make room for their offspring.
But what would you do about parents with more than two offspring? Start shuffling off the older of the offspring to make room for the younger?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think we need to get back on track with the question.

There were religious and philosophical questions involved in the novel, ones that really do attempt to inquire into the nature of longevitiy.

Of course, there are problems of overpopulation if the process became (for example) one in which commodification was the end result.

I'm talking about the implication(s) upon the ordering of events relating to health care, contractual and legal issues, in addition to ethical and religious concerns.

And please remember: I'm not talking about immortality, but a lengthening of one's life beyond the "normal" or "typical" lifespan.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote