Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Well-made PDFs have the same typography as printed books. It's just that most publishers don't make PDFs sized for ebook readers.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Well-made PDFs have the same typography as printed books. It's just that most publishers don't make PDFs sized for ebook readers.
But you get it in the wrong size so the impact is different. I was thinking of decorations at chapter starts and such things.

But also for the body text you get less words per line in a 6 inch e-ink reader than in a standard paperback book and that makes it harder to get good spacing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But you get it in the wrong size so the impact is different. I was thinking of decorations at chapter starts and such things.

But also for the body text you get less words per line in a 6 inch e-ink reader than in a standard paperback book and that makes it harder to get good spacing.
PDFs made for 6" e-ink screens are rare. Ahi makes some. I make some for myself, but nowhere near as well-formatted as Ahi's. I expect there's a handful of other ebook aficionados making them, but that's about it.

It's not hard to get the typography to look good on a 6" page (or rather, no harder than it is for any other size page); it's just that very few people, and no mainstream publishers, bother with that size.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Elfwreck's list was basically spot on...however, one tiny addition that goes in the first section is:

--remembering that a passage/paragraph is about x way through the book and being able to visually scan for it.

Sure you can search on a keyword or something in the ebook, but I would often pick up a book and scan for a certain passage.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
When I was young my back hurt from lugging around a stone tablet.
Ahh, the good old days. You just can't find a good brontosaurus burger anymore.
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #21
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I can certainly see the charm of my old books. (I also see the charm of fountain pens and phono-records ) Some books, are staying with me forever. Large format books, photo heavy books and books that are not e-availalbe, are also still ok on paper. However, for daily reading, I don't want to mess with paper any more. The e-reader is fantastic -- my original PRS500, the 505 and the Kindle DX. I appreciate the comment by one poster that the typeset helped to enrich his or her reading experience of a book. For that special book paper was better. For 99% of the rest, give my digital and help save a tree.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
You know, I read this thread, and others like it, and (like the dog in the TV commercial) what I perceive is, "Blah, blah-blah, blah, blah-blah-blah," but without the occasional "bacon" interspersed.

I read on LCD computer screens, mass market paperbacks, backlit PDA LCDs, hardcovers, reflective B&W LCDs[1], trade-format paperbacks, and occasionally, CRTs. I really can't tell the difference, other than my 17" laptop weighs a wee bit more than my 2.8" smartphone. But then, "Mark's Handbook" is a tad heavier than the MMPB of "Lord of Light", so, meh.

Carry on. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

[1] My personal preference in many cases, but I don't get my way all the time. Silly universe.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I'll go with what Elfwreck wrote. With one addition.

I like the p-book as a trophy. I can be supremely conceited and will admit to taking some pleasure from visitors being impressed by both the quantity and quality* on display in my library.

That notwithstanding, though it grates somewhat, I have to say I now prefer to do most of my reading on an e-Reader.

*Literary value. I did say I'm conceited.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 AM   #24
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
I like the p-book as a trophy. I can be supremely conceited and will admit to taking some pleasure from visitors being impressed by both the quantity and quality* on display in my library.
And ya know, at an earlier time in my life, I probably would have agreed with you. But, I've come to the time in my life that I want to divest myself of the physical trappings...simplify.

George Carlin did a great routine about 'Stuff'...The more stuff you have, the more you have to work so you can pay for a bigger place to put your stuff. The bigger place you have the more room you have to put more stuff so you have to work more to buy stuff to fill it up, .......and so on....

So for me, having a large and impressive library (pbook) is absolutley not a goal. I think that for some, age will play a part in the desire to collect, but for some, I'm sure, there is no known cure!! (No right or wrong here, just an observation)
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote