Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What would be a good name for a black Labrador?
Balou 4 20.00%
Bajazzo 2 10.00%
Other (please post below) 14 70.00%
Black Beauty (Blacky) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Dog names with B for our new family member

Hi,

we've just made up our minds to get a dog ( a black labrador, about 3.5 months old) and are now looking for a fitting name.
Since the little guy is from the B litter, a name starting with B would be perfect.
He seems like a really calm and cool guy, did not struggle at all when I picked him up and held him, perfect for taking pictures (I'm sure my girlfriend will take tons of pictures of the little guy once he has moved in).

We have two prime suspects now, Balou and Bajazzo, and I'll put up a little poll for those two, but I'd welcome suggestions from you guys and gals...

I'll attack pictures if I can manage, the ones I have are rather large and I don't have Photoshop installed right now.

UPDATE: I installed a freeware photo editing software and have now turned the 8MP pictures into something more manageable...
The little guy is going to move in next tuesday, so we'll have to make up our mind by then...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Labi1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	14019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Labi2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	14020   Click image for larger version

Name:	labi3.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	14021  
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
In Germany "Bello" would be a perfect dogname with b
hm, but balou sounds nice as well

[edit] okay, you are from Germany
But perhaps i wouldnt call my dog bello either^^ [/edit]

Unfortunately I've never had one

Last edited by philippd; 07-02-2008 at 06:09 PM.
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
In honor of Spain's recent victory in Euro 2008 you should call him Barcelona. Barcey for short.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Hmm .... I have a lot of B names that I would suggest

Baxter
Beowulf
Baldrick
Bear
Bogie
Brian
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
How about "Buch"? If the language translator I'm using is correct, that's Book in German.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, I was not really planning to read my dog...at least not literally...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Bytor...
but the Snowdog was victorious in the end!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Beelzebub

But I would second Bytor, if only because it ROCKS!!!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I can't help myself, CommanderROR. I just have to suggest the obvious. How about Bartók? You could, of course, then call him Béla informally. Or you could call him Buxtehude. That would be....interesting.

He's a beautiful dog. Arf!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Hi,

we've just made up our minds to get a dog ( a black labrador, about 3.5 months old) and are now looking for a fitting name.
Since the little guy is from the B litter, a name starting with B would be perfect.
He seems like a really calm and cool guy, did not struggle at all when I picked him up and held him, perfect for taking pictures (I'm sure my girlfriend will take tons of pictures of the little guy once he has moved in).
How about Blivet? Or perhaps Balderdash?

One piece of advice: get him obedience trained, soonest. Labs are a working breed, and tend to be too smart for their own good. I generally describe it as "If you get them obedience trained, you give them something to think about: what they have to do to be a good dog. If you don't, that intelligence has to have some outlet, and it will probably manifest as doing things you don't like!"

A former co-worker described getting a yellow lab. He bought the dog a dog bed, but the dog a wanted to sleep in bed with him. So every night for some nights running, he'd be about to fall asleep, be awakened by the dog climbing into bed with him, and have to kick the dog out of his bed and put it in it's dog bed. One night he had just drifted off to sleep to be awakened by noise and clatter. He discovered the dog laboriously dragging his dog bed up onto the bed. He'd gotten the idea he was supposed to sleep in it, but he was darn well gonna do so next to his person.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
He discovered the dog laboriously dragging his dog bed up onto the bed. He'd gotten the idea he was supposed to sleep in it, but he was darn well gonna do so next to his person.
______
Dennis

Awwwwww My shih tzus always sleep with me. No point in trying to forbid it. Besides, *I* like it, too.

I was going to suggest Barney.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Awwwwww My shih tzus always sleep with me. No point in trying to forbid it. Besides, *I* like it, too.

I was going to suggest Barney.
A shih tzu is a lot smaller than a lab. There's room for both them and you. A lab, especially when fully grown, is another matter.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I can't help myself, CommanderROR. I just have to suggest the obvious. How about Bartók? You could, of course, then call him Béla informally. Or you could call him Buxtehude. That would be....interesting.

He's a beautiful dog. Arf!
Bela is perfect VR.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
He's a black dog ... so how about (Mr.) Bojangles??

He was one of the greatest entertainers of all time.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Balou got my vote. Easy to call when you are out in the fields with him, and the voice should travel well.

Now a problem a friend of mine had was how to keep the dog away from certain stringed instruments.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote