Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #31
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Our rings were custom-made. We had through a lot of trouble to get it (considering we didn't have a driver's license, and had to cross half the country to an out-of-place location where there was no public transport so we had to walk the last 5km).
Yes, ours too. I did the wax carving and my husband to be did the casting (I would have been there but was badly laid up with a back injury and it just wasn't practical.)

(And pretty much everyone we told about the plan had one of two reactions "Oh how romantic!" and "I bet you saved a bunch of money!" Divided, oddly enough, pretty much along gender lines.)

But anyway, the thing about having made our rings is we could make a new one if necessary. In a way it would be kind of symbolic of our continuing choice to be together as we gradually change and become new people as we learn and grow. Not that I have plans to do it if it's not necessary because I like the old rings and the process is kind of a hassle. But still, it could be a positive thing.

Different people obviously have different opinions on this, but for me the map is not the territory. The rings are special and I would shed some tears if one was lost, but the relationship is much more important, and doesn't actually need the symbol.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #32
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I've been wondering for hours what disturbed me about this thread, and it just hit me...........

When my husband passed, I took his wedding band off his finger and put it on mine........yes, its a little loose, but the band underneath holds it well.

Trust me........I'd lose my life before I let someone take it from me. Thats how much it means to me now.

The thought that losing a mechanical device is more important than losing a wedding ring is just sad to me.

More than just a symbol, its representative of the committment and love I held for him.
I am wondering if the gender of the person plays a part in this. Most women I know see their ring as more than jewelry, and would have a hard time dealing with the loss.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
I am wondering if the gender of the person plays a part in this. Most women I know see their ring as more than jewelry, and would have a hard time dealing with the loss.
I would be much more saddened by the loss of a ring--or indeed any jewelry or other item that has sentimental value--but I would find the loss of an electronic device filled with personal data to be a lot more stressful, which was the original question.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Among young adults, 87 percent actually reported they felt happier when traveling with their devices. Respondents to the 2,500-person survey even ranked losing their mobile computing device as more stressful than losing their wedding ring (77 percent verus 55 percent). The only thing more stressful than losing a mobile device was losing a wallet.

has someone invented a word for technology-induced mental illness yet?
I wonder if technology-induced is the correct term. I reckon the stressfulness of losing a mobile device while traveling derives more from practical reasons (e.g. difficulty contacting people in case you get lost, stranded, etc) than from actual affinity for the device itself. I'd probably be similarly stressed even if I hadn't lost the phone but it's run out of battery or doesn't get signal. If I'm traveling and I lost my iPod or reader, it would just be annoying. However, I'd definitely be stressed out if I lost my phone (even a $10 dumbphone on pay as you go prepaid service) and I'm in unfamiliar surroundings and unable to speak the native language.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #35
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would be much more saddened by the loss of a ring--or indeed any jewelry or other item that has sentimental value--but I would find the loss of an electronic device filled with personal data to be a lot more stressful, which was the original question.
Depends on your point of view, and exactly how much 'sentiment' that wedding ring has.

For me, the "stress" of losing my band would far outweigh losing any mechanical device.

Before they could access any info on my Ipad, or Iphone, I can have it remotely wiped.

So now, I"m out a device, thru my own carelessness, because I didn't keep an eye on it........when I get the money I can have it replaced.

Not so with my band.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #36
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
not necessarily this. I 'd rather say, the cultural upbringing in general counts too as a factor determining how you see the rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Exactly that.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 06-29-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: smartphone dumbness
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #37
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
ever since I got - and my kids got - our first cell phones, I've hated being "out of contact". Granted, there are very few things that anyone Really Needs to contact me about Right Now, but it's gotten to the point where I almost feel naked and somehow vulnerable if I forget to bring my phone with me. this "out of contact" phobia has gotten even worse since I got my smart phone. So yeah, I'd feel stresssed if I lost my cell phone - and I'm not even using it up to full capacity. It's the fear that, if someone wanted to reach me, and they couldn't, I'd miss out on something.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Right Now, but it's gotten to the point where I almost feel naked and somehow vulnerable if I forget to bring my phone with me.
Yeah, even if I didn't use the phone often, I'd still need to have one in case of emergency. After we've forgotten our phones at home a few times, I bought prepaid cellphones to leave in the car and in the office along with extra chargers and car chargers.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #39
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I am not as big a fan as most on cell phones. I have left mine at home, had the ringer turned off fir weeks on end, etc. The idea of people feeling entitled to bother me with random nonsense at their will bothers me.

And I don't twitter, or tweet, or Facebook. Those actually freak me out.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I am not as big a fan as most on cell phones. I have left mine at home, had the ringer turned off fir weeks on end, etc. The idea of people feeling entitled to bother me with random nonsense at their will bothers me.
The only one in the (immediate) family who uses the cellphone to chat is my mom. For the rest of us, the longest phone call we've had to make on a cellphone is to AAA. Most of the time it's just "Where are you?" or "Pick me up at 6".
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #41
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
For me, the "stress" of losing my band would far outweigh losing any mechanical device.
You ABBA folks are worse than Beatles fans. It was just a band. Let it go.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

And I don't twitter, or tweet, or Facebook. Those actually freak me out.
Now you mention it, mine might be empty for some time already... I once had it empty for so long, the clock had been reset...

Edit:

Ok, it has been reset again...

There was a concert of Sting yesterday, in Amsterdam. There's a new hall there. And people were had noticed that their phone didn't work (no twitter, no facebook, no GSM)... I probably wouldn't even look at my phone at a concert!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote