Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
sync calibre and itunes-database

Hi
I´m new to calibre and searching for some help on syncing itunes and calibre.

I use itunes as a device and I am able to send books from calibre to itunes BUT after sending, I do have two copies of the book on my drive. Is it possible to configure calibre in a way just to use the copy from within the itunes database?

At the moment ... if i add some notes to a pdf-file (to write something into the document) in itunes this notes will not sync with the copy managed by calibre - and - notes in pdf-books managed by calibre don´t sync with the itunes - version ....

Its probably a simple problem - but - i can´t find the solution.

thanks for any help
Henning
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Henning
Enthusiast

Maybe I have to speciefy my questions

I want to use <PDFs with annotations>. I want to add this annotations by starting from iTunes, from any device or calibre... And I hope to add this annotations always to the same version of the pdf-file. (Or that there will be some sort of sync between different pdf - versions of the same file).
As itunes manages my music there is no way but asking Itunes to manage all files... and this means, that there always will be two copies of files (one within the calibre-database and one in the iTunes-database) - correct?

As far as I understand, there is no way to make calibre use pdf-versions of documents, which are managed by itunes - correct?

Is there a way, that calibre syncs annotations done on different versions of pdf-files?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think you are correct. The Calibre iTunes integration only supports sending files to iTunes, not getting them back.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Henning
Enthusiast

Good morning itimpi
today I tried to overrule itunes by a simple step. If i establish an alias (==> link to the file) to a certain book in my calibre library - itunes will open this file. If I than annotate the file from itunes - the annotations will be saved into the file which is managed by calibre...
So as far as I understand, it would just be necessary to change the procedure how calibre uses the "device itunes": if calibre would just export an alias instead exporting the file - both applications would work with the same file - correct?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As I understand it, support for links (aliases) is not portable across all the OS that Calibre supports so any such change would not be accepted into the main Calibre release. Having said that if it could be done in a portable way it would definitely be a desirable enhancement.

Note, however, that calibre would not notice any changes done to the files by iTunes so even if an alias could be made to work the result may not be what you hoped for.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itunes sync pdf