Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
A question about electronic self-publishing

Hi folks. Twenty years ago I got to know a guy called Fergus (his pen name, anyway) who's since had several stories published in the pro sf/f press. Myself and other friends of his back in Scotland went on to score pro publishing deals, and most of us are lucky enough to be able to support ourselves with our writing. Ferg's path took a different turn: his research work got more complicated, he climbed the corporate ladder, and took on a lot of responsibility.

But back last century he wrote the first draft of a really very good (in my opinion) sf thriller called Judgement, sent it to maybe two publishers, got it returned with a form rejection, and somehow never got round to sending it out again. About ten years ago I asked to see it and couldn't understand why it had been knocked back. Perhaps if he'd sent it out to more places he would have found that publishing deal - frankly, I'm absolutely certain of it - but he got married, had kids along with the aforementioned responsibilities, and the book got away from him in the way such things do.

About seven years ago I wrote a new draft of his book with his permission and encouragement to try and bring it a little more up to date. Then I got busy with my own writing and had to put it to one side. I sent it out to one or two pro writers of my acquaintance who agreed his book was very good. Ideas were batted around concerning what to do with it. Now ebooks are coming up in the world, and that seems the obvious next step.

I'm certainly considering Smashwords, and I'm certainly aware of self-publishing through Kindle. But I'm looking for advice from those who've gone down this road before on where to go next when it comes to putting Judgement out there.

For instance, Kindle seems an obvious place to go, but until recently, as far as I knew, you couldn't publish anything that way without holding a US address or credit card. I can't find anything that suggests that's changed even with the advent of the international Kindle.

Next: should I sell the book through sites like Smashwords for $1.50 to $2.00, or give it away free or, as I'm thinking, some combination of both?

Just to reiterate - the book is all Fergus' work. If I left him to do all this stuff, he'd never get around to it. But I think the book is terrific and deserves a shot at being read, whether it's by ten or a thousand people.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 11-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest that Smashwords is probably ideal. You just need to have a simply (& regularly) formatted MS Word document, and they do all the conversions necessary. Their automated conversion is very good unless you have any fancy formatting or graphics to include.

I'd suggest setting a price between $2 and $6. For an unknown writer, perhaps towards the lower end of that range.

There is no way to get into the Kindle store (at the moment) if you don't have US Bank and address.

If it does do well, you could also look at doing a Print-on-Demand version, which you can get onto Amazon easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
For instance, Kindle seems an obvious place to go, but until recently, as far as I knew, you couldn't publish anything that way without holding a US address or credit card. I can't find anything that suggests that's changed even with the advent of the international Kindle.

Next: should I sell the book through sites like Smashwords for $1.50 to $2.00, or give it away free or, as I'm thinking, some combination of both?

Just to reiterate - the book is 90% Fergus' work. My role was primarily editorial, but I want to see his book out there and being read, whether it's by ten or a thousand people.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-03-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip, PDurrant. To that end, I've put it up on smashwords for two dollars. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find it here.

"It started with a few isolated incidents. A mob shootout in Las Vegas, a firefight in the Central American jungles - one apparently unconnected event after the other, hinting at a worldwide conspiracy of unprecedented proportions. But before long CIA computer expert Bob Leith realises it's something much more than mere globalised terrorism, something literally not of this world ..."

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 11-04-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi Gary.

We are hoping to be able to help self-publishers in the new year through our new distribution platform, but in the meantime, I can get the book listed with one of the largest wholesalers of eBooks if you're interested? this means the book would appear on BOB, cyberread, powells, Directebooks etc?

Let me know.

Incidentally, there's no charge - Its nice to give someone a hand sometimes!
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
garygibsonsf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Hi Gary.

We are hoping to be able to help self-publishers in the new year through our new distribution platform, but in the meantime, I can get the book listed with one of the largest wholesalers of eBooks if you're interested? this means the book would appear on BOB, cyberread, powells, Directebooks etc?

Let me know.

Incidentally, there's no charge - Its nice to give someone a hand sometimes!
Actually, yes, that would be terrific. Is there any particular format I should mail the book to you in?
Advert