Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
PRS-600 Questions about Technical PDF's

Hey,
1- I'm think on buying the prs-600, mainly for reading tecnical PDFs ( Programming, and charts) with sizes from 10MB to 40MB. Im planning on using the highlight and dicitionary functionality alot. Does anybody else is in the same situation as I? Can prs-600 handle this ? Or theres a better solution in the market for what I want?

2- I've uploaded 3 sample pages of an ebook that i usualy read, could someone put a picture of this pages? Just to see how tables, code snippets and images are shown in the prs-600.

The PDF ebook can be downloaded here:http://www.scribd.com/doc/20251189/Sample

3- I've read in some other thread, one user saying that, when he reached 80 anotations the prs-600 started to be realy slow, does anybody else confirms it?

4- Can I insert in the prs-600 other dictionarys? like a french dictionary for example?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by plim; 09-26-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I now upload 3 sample pages, I hope theres no copyright problem, if there is I will remove it promptly
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
600 isn't your best bet for PDF with lot's of tables and code snippets. You'll need to either zoom constantly or reflow, which breaks tables and code formatting/indenting. Tried it and it's just not convenient at all. You should look at larger devices having higher resolution.

Can't confirm annotation bit. At least not with LRF.

You can't insert other dictionaries to be used by look up at this moment.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by plim View Post
Hey,
1- I'm think on buying the prs-600, mainly for reading tecnical PDFs ( Programming, and charts) with sizes from 10MB to 40MB. Im planning on using the highlight and dicitionary functionality alot. Does anybody else is in the same situation as I? Can prs-600 handle this ? Or theres a better solution in the market for what I want?

2- I've uploaded an programming ebook that i usualy read, could someone put a picture of this ebook, of page 262 and 284? Just to see how tables, code snippets and images are shown in the prs-600.

The PDF ebook can be downloaded here:[link removed by moderator due to this being a commercial eBook]

3- I've read in some other thread, one user saying that, when he reached 80 anotations the prs-600 started to be realy slow, does anybody else confirms it?

4- Can I insert in the prs-600 other dictionarys? like a french dictionary for example?

Thanks for your time.
i have a 505 and had a 600 for a while - 600 will read pdf's natively and does a good job but the screen is small for technical docs and one of the reasons i returned mine - the ultimate pdf machine right now is probably the irex dr1000 but at a mind and wallet numbing price of almost $900 - I finally settled on the Kindle DX - and even though does not have a lot of PDf Features renders them very nicely at a decent size - if you want ill load up your doc take paictures and send them to you email me at david a spitzer (all one word) at gmail dot com

I am not sure if you live in the US but the kindle dx works well and if you can afford it the Irex dr1000 or perhaps the plastic logic reader to be released next year
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
plim

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
i have a 505 and had a 600 for a while - 600 will read pdf's natively and does a good job but the screen is small for technical docs and one of the reasons i returned mine - the ultimate pdf machine right now is probably the irex dr1000 but at a mind and wallet numbing price of almost $900 - I finally settled on the Kindle DX - and even though does not have a lot of PDf Features renders them very nicely at a decent size - if you want ill load up your doc take paictures and send them to you email me at david a spitzer (all one word) at gmail dot com

I am not sure if you live in the US but the kindle dx works well and if you can afford it the Irex dr1000 or perhaps the plastic logic reader to be released next year

Thanks for your input. I live in Europe(Portugal), yes irex is to expensive, and kindle does not have touch screen, witch is very handy for the dictionary and hightlighting.

Maybe I should wait for the prs-900?

Anyway I will send you the doc, thanks very much for your time.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
plim

I've seen davidspitzer pictures of kindle dx, and i was very impressed, kindle dx is very good for pdfs like this, but im looking for a touch screen device (for anotations and dictionary) and I'm still curious of how tecnical pdfs are displayed on the prs-600.

I've uploaded only 3 sample pages with code snippets, tables and images, i hope this time theres no copyright problem, if there is I will remove it promptly.

If theres anyone with a prs-600 please show me how this is displayed on the screen

Sample Pages: http://www.scribd.com/doc/20251189/Sample

Last edited by plim; 09-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
weijie90
weijie90 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by plim View Post

If theres anyone with a prs-600 please show me how this is displayed on the screen

Sample Pages: http://www.scribd.com/doc/20251189/Sample
I just tried. It works perfectly.
weijie90 is offline   Reply With Quote