Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
genmidi
genmidi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Page Turn Speed on V3

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a eBook reader device. I've never owned one before as I used my PDA phone to do most of my reading. I have quite a few books which I purchased from Mobipocket so based on what I've read on the net the Hanlin v3 would seem to be the only one that can support that.

What I'm wondering is how long does the page turn refresh take with the new firmware? I've only managed to find one of two reviews from a year or two ago and they seem to indicate a 4 second delay but I'm wondering if that has been improved yet?

Also if anyone knows of another reader I should consider please do let me know. Thanks

Last edited by genmidi; 02-02-2009 at 09:21 PM.
genmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Secure (DRMed) MobiPocket is also supported on the Bookeen Cybook and the iRex iLiad. The Cybook probably has the best MOBI support, but the Hanlin is now "good enough" except that you can't lookup words in a dictionary while reading an ebook. See E-book Reader Matrix and Mobi Comparison. The iRex Iliad has a larger screen, but it is a bit slower to render a page than the devices with a 6" screen.

Page turns on the Hanlin and Cybook should be similar, and is typically quoted as about 0.9s. Most people soon get used to a page turn time of this length. If one of these devices takes much longer than 1 second per page turn then it is due to extra processing time to render the page (rather than the EInk screen and controller time). I have not noticed any such slowdown for the Hanlin on MOBIs.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-02-2009 at 11:51 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Page turning on the V3 just isn't an issue - it really is quite acceptably quick. OI feels quicker than the older Hanlin firmware I'd previously been using, but even that was certainly acceptable.

I think page turning is somewhat noticeable for the first few pages when you start using the Hanlin; after that, you come to expect it, and use it a cue that the page has changed. Instantaneous changes on my Nokia 770 often have me checking to see if the page has actually changed.

The Hanlin V3 has a lot of good points - not a stunning looker, but reasonably solid hardware, firmware well supported by the manufacturer and multiple vendors, and the first target device for OpenInkPot, which works well on the device.

This was a big deal for me, as I'm not interested in reading books that have DRM, and I need Plucker support.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
genmidi

Thanks for the info guys. I have to admit I like the look of the Sony PRS-505 reader but I'm just not keen on forsaking all my current eBooks and starting over again. I'll have to do a bit more research on the models that wallcraft suggested though. I live in Singapore so none of these are readily available here and I'd probably end up importing whichever model I finally decide on.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmidi View Post
I have to admit I like the look of the Sony PRS-505 reader but I'm just not keen on forsaking all my current eBooks and starting over again.
I don't know the copyright laws in Singapore, but mobidedrm (not legal in some places) can strip the DRM (encryption) from your MOBI books and then Calibre can format shift them to LRF or ePub for the PRS-505. With this approach you can continue to buy MOBI ebooks, but now (perhaps after converion) they can run on any reading device. It is hard to see who is hurt by stripping DRM and format shifting ebooks you bought for your own personal use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmidi View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a eBook reader device. I've never owned one before as I used my PDA phone to do most of my reading. I have quite a few books which I purchased from Mobipocket so based on what I've read on the net the Hanlin v3 would seem to be the only one that can support that.
No, the CyBook Gen3 has rather better MobiPocket support than the Hanlin V3. The page turn speed on all the current devices is around 1s - you really don't notice it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
One item to consider on DRMed Mobipocket is that you will have to register your new reader's PID with the store where you bought your books and download them again in order to read them on your new reader. Mobipocket ebooks with DRM have your registered PIDs embedded in their encryption and can not be read by readers with different PIDs.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
genmidi

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I like Wallcraft's idea to reconvert the files so it can run on the 505, although I'd need to do a bit of research on how easy it is to do it since I'm not very good with anything that runs in a command line.

If I had to I can live with converting what I have now and buying from some other store in future. Does anyone know if any of the online bookstores sells books in a non DRM format? Thanks.

Last edited by genmidi; 02-05-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, several of them do. You'll find, though, that "best sellers" are generally only available in DRM formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
genmidi

Hmmm..... does anyone know where in Hong Kong I might be able to get a Hanlin V3? I tired contacting them through their website but they said it needs to be ordered direct from the factory. I'm going to be in Hong Kong for a couple of days the week after next so it's be nice to be able to see it before buying. Thanks.