Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Kobo *not* turning on...

Well, I haven't had my Kobo randomly turn on yet...

But has anyone had this problem/bug/whatever yet? I just did...

After my initial battery charge of last week (on a replacement Kobo Touch), and seeing that last night I was at about 50%, I recharged to full.

Then I read a bit; an hour or so. Went back to "Home," then Powered off. I'll guess I was at 98 or 99% charge at that time.

Today - when I attempted to Power On, I slid the button, got the quick green light, then set the reader down to get my reading light.

The reader did not power on. In fact, there was no response after repeated attempts. Meaning...no light at all. Not green, not blue.

Called Kobo. Was directed to plug into computer. Nothing - no lights to be seen, no Powering up after repeated attempts. Computer wouldn't recognize the device, either. *I* thought outloud to the service guy, "Should I try another USB cable?" He said okay. So I did - and it worked.

How bizarre; the cable I had first used to make my first Touch finally "get recognized" by my computer in the first place, and which I used for the initial charge on this replacment device, did not work for this particular issue

But still...isn't it odd that the device wouldn't even turn on in the first place? And after a full charge?

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-23-2011 at 10:15 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Well, I haven't had my Kobo randomly turn on yet...

But has anyone had this problem/bug/whatever yet? I just did...

After my initial battery charge of last week (on a replacement Kobo Touch), and seeing that last night I was at about 50%, I recharged to full.

Then I read a bit; an hour or so. Went back to "Home," then Powered off. I'll guess I was at 98 or 99% charge at that time.

Today - when I attempted to Power On, I slid the button, got the quick green light, then set the reader down to get my reading light.

The reader did not power on. In fact, there was no response after repeated attempts. Meaning...no light at all. Not green, not blue.

Called Kobo. Was directed to plug into computer. Nothing - no lights to be seen, no Powering up after repeated attempts. Computer wouldn't recognize the device, either. *I* thought outloud to the service guy, "Should I try another USB cable?" He said okay. So I did - and it worked.

How bizarre; the cable I had first used to make my first Touch finally "get recognized" by my computer in the first place, and which I used for the initial charge on this replacment device, did not work for this particular issue

But still...isn't it odd that the device wouldn't even turn on in the first place? And after a full charge?
It is.. but then again... who can say what the issue was? I am going to guess that the orginal cable is fine. But that the lock up was just temporary. You can test that out by using your cables with a dif device and see if your comp can comunicate to them. if it can then it was not the cable. I notice that since 1.9.6 has hit the fans... randome things are happeing.. i also notice that calibre seems to be one common factor for some of these issues. I am hoping that they get 1.9.7 out to us sooner rather then later.

good luck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Thanks jackastor. I'll try what you've suggested.

I'm hoping this isn't a wonky battery issue, though. I do remember having the black screen of death during the initial charge on this replacement device...

(Not likely I'd find any Kobo Touchs at Borders for exchange - with the liquidation in process and all... )

In which case, what? Send it to Canada?

But perhaps I'm putting the cart way before the horse on this one.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Thanks jackastor. I'll try what you've suggested.

I'm hoping this isn't a wonky battery issue, though. I do remember having the black screen of death during the initial charge on this replacement device...

(Not likely I'd find any Kobo Touchs at Borders for exchange - with the liquidation in process and all... )

In which case, what? Send it to Canada?

But perhaps I'm putting the cart way before the horse on this one.
I am not sure what the procedure would be. But I believe that help desk at Kobo would provide the answer. Make sure that if you do send it back that the customs people know its a repair and dont charge you customs on it .

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
rizzyh
rizzyh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
A similar thing happened to my KT last night. It wouldn't turn on after a few attempts. I then plugged it into the computer and the green light came on but my computer wouldn't recognize it. I unplugged it then plugged it again. Same thing but when I tried to slide it on while connected I saw a blue light for about two seconds. I then unplugged for the third time and it finally turned on.

I had been ignoring a storage error for a couple of days, would that have had anything to with what happened? I'm kind of technologically challenged so I have no idea if i was a hardware or firmware problem.
rizzyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Same thing happened to me when I was at the cottage (with no net!!). I did a pin reset and it turned on with no problems. A few days later I got the Internal Storage Error, which I ignored until the end of vacation. A full factory reset later, everything was fine. No problems either with powering on or Internal Storage Error.

And the best part: I read SIX books while on vacation, what bliss.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
TBBle
TBBle began at the beginning.

I had something like this happen today too, but I wasn't as rigorous as the earlier posters. It didn't come on, so I plugged it into my computer using a handy microUSB cable (not the Kobo-supplied one) and the light on top went green but it still wouldn't come on.

After a little while I played idly with the power switch for a bit (sometimes holding it, sometimes just moving it quickly) and during this time noticed that it'd start powering up again.

Once it'd powered back up, it agreed that its battery was full.

So yeah. Some kind of "really very very powered off"? I'm still on the 1.9.6 firmware if it matters. Going to upgrade to 1.9.8 tonight.
TBBle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
PileaDave
Gadget Guy
PileaDave began at the beginning.

Also not able to start up Kobo Touch

However after trying some of the above suggestions I finally got the thing to start up after a few tries of the same thing.... only to find that I had somehow cracked my screen.

I guess I will just have to buy a new one. Love the device just have to remember when the thing is in the pocket of my cargo shorts
PileaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Stacy_E
Stacy_E began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader Touch
I had the same problem this morning with my 1-month-old Kobo Touch. It would not power on, even when I connected it via USB to my computer. I told my husband about the problem, and as he had a similar problem with his iPod Touch, he did what had fixed his iPod--he simultaneously pressed the home button and slid the power button to the right. He then held the power button to the right for a longer period. The KT powered on. He's not sure which key-action actually allowed for the power-on (the simultaneous pressing of home button and sliding of power button or the holding of the power button to the right position) since he did both in sequence so quickly. FWIW, the firmware was 1.9.6.
Stacy_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy_E View Post
I had the same problem this morning with my 1-month-old Kobo Touch. It would not power on, even when I connected it via USB to my computer. I told my husband about the problem, and as he had a similar problem with his iPod Touch, he did what had fixed his iPod--he simultaneously pressed the home button and slid the power button to the right. He then held the power button to the right for a longer period. The KT powered on. He's not sure which key-action actually allowed for the power-on (the simultaneous pressing of home button and sliding of power button or the holding of the power button to the right position) since he did both in sequence so quickly. FWIW, the firmware was 1.9.6.
You should be aware that pressing the Home button while powering-on the Touch could have an unintended consequence. If you release the power-on slider WHILE still holding down the Home button, a factory reset will be triggered.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to mention that the Kobo does not connect to your computer until it has powered up and you tell it to connect or not. Then it will be recognized as a drive by your machine. However, it should still charge even if it is not connected yet.

Also note that all USB ports are not created equal. I have a couple on mine that will not power my external HD. This means they are powered below the USB spec. The other ports are fine. So, if one port seems to be a problem, try another.

Larry J
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
I just had this problem so I thought I would post my experience.

I've had my KT for about a month and charged it for the second time (other than out-of-the-box) from a wall charger.

I plugged it in last night when I went to bed and unplugged it at about 4:00 am. When I tried to turn it on this morning, I saw a brief blue light (much shorter than normal) and then nothing. I tried plugging in the charger again and the green light came back on but the reader didn't wake up. Remembering that this thread existed I thought I'd check what others had done before resorting to a pin reset.

- Tried connecting the KT to my laptop. Green light but no action.

- Tried a different USB port. Same as above.

- Thought that trying a different cable sounded like a good idea but I couldn't find one so I made coffee instead. When I got back to my laptop my KT was alive!

What's different from other postings here is that the reader wasn't charged, although it's charging now.

In summary, it appears that the solution is to plug the KT into a computer and go make a pot of coffee.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Same issue, 1.9.6, charged the device overnight, read for an hour or so this morning then nothing. I have wi-fi turned off and I use Calibre. These isn't much choice about Calibre as I have many of my physical books in its database.

Plugged into the computer and I can see a green light, there seems to be a very small hole on the back is that the pin reset button?

Many Thanks

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Plugged into the computer and I can see a green light, there seems to be a very small hole on the back is that the pin reset button?
Yes it is. To do a pin reset, unfold a paper clip and slide one end gently into the hole until you hear a click.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Thanks

The official how to reset from Kobo:

http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/3862...a-kobo-ereader

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote