Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Vox - remove built-in apps

Can anyone tell me how to remove or uninstall the built-in apps on the Kobo Vox? There are some apps such as Rido that I do not want and I get a message that I cannot remove Kobo apps.
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Woild live to do this aswell. The twitter"app" is not really an app but just a website link really... once i installed a proper twitter app i would like to get rid of the old one
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
There is no way to remove the built in apps at this time. Sorry.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
There is no way to remove the built in apps at this time. Sorry.

James
this really does need to change. I've purchased this for a 10 year old and as per terms of agreement with facebook, and twitter I do believe, you have to be at least 13 years old to use them. I'd like at the very least some kind of parental controls to be able to disable these sorts of things.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
this really does need to change. I've purchased this for a 10 year old and as per terms of agreement with facebook, and twitter I do believe, you have to be at least 13 years old to use them. I'd like at the very least some kind of parental controls to be able to disable these sorts of things.
You can password protect your apps:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

I'm using this as an example. I haven't used this or any like it. Just thought I'd share.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Possible with the rooting, but only for people who know what they do.
I would also love to take out every app that just send us to the website...
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

How do you get around the whole "you need a phone" issue that I've come across?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
How do you get around the whole "you need a phone" issue that I've come across?
What do you mean?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can remove the app from the homescreens (just drag it to the bottom of the screen where a trashcan will magically appear), but you cannot remove it from the device entirely.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You can remove the app from the homescreens (just drag it to the bottom of the screen where a trashcan will magically appear), but you cannot remove it from the device entirely.
Good to know. Can you empty the trash, and if so, can you restore the app to the desktop?
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a trashcan in the Windows way. It functions just to remove the app from the homescreen. You can always add apps in (including the ones you have removed from the screen) by tapping on that strange center icon, and choosing the app you want with a long press. It will put it in any available space on the homescreen you choose. If there is no room on that homescreen, choose another screen or delete something else there to make room.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

If you know what you do, you can disable the app you don't want (so that they don't appear on the list anymore).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=25
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
If you know what you do, you can disable the app you don't want (so that they don't appear on the list anymore).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=25
This requires root, I believe.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
spikexp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This requires root, I believe.
Yes it does.
There is no way to modify the built-in app without it.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I can put together a simpler tutorial for anyone interested in rooting their device and removing those built-in apps.

Rooting does void your warranty, but given the version of Android that the Vox uses it's very safe and very easy to do (you simply install and run an apk called GingerBreak).

If there's enough demand I might even make a program that let's you easily remove any of the built in programs.

The apps that I removed are the following:

-All the stubs (those apps that just linked you to a website)
-Both Zinio apks
-Merriam-webster apk
-Both INQ widgets
-Scrabble app
-Press Reader app
-rdio app

All those apps are totally safe to remove.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 11-03-2011 at 03:15 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote