Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Bumper crop of Christmas Newbies?

I wasn't a member here in 2008, so I can't compare this Christmas with last ... but it seems to me that there's been a huge influx of newcomers over the past week. If new membership here is at all representative of a general ereading trend, I think we should be encouraged by what appears to be a watershed Noel. And it's great to see the new company at MR. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your perception is correct. We reached our all-time record of 1442 users on-line simultaneously at 8:58PM (GMT) on Christmas day.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
All of the new eReader owners that opened them Christmas morning coming here for information!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
And a big thank you to all MobileRead members who're taking the time and effort to help them out. The frustration level seems a bit high. Hopefully, amongst us, we can assist the new members so that they can start to enjoy using their new readers.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've noticed an influx of new members as well, and I'm happy to see that a lot of people seem to have gotten liseuses as Christmas presents!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***We reached our all-time record of 1442 users on-line simultaneously at 8:58PM (GMT) on Christmas day***

That's quite amazing, Harry. And, as others here have said, we have a responsibility to new ereaders to offer the best advice we can in a spirit of generosity, patience and friendship ... In the same way that literacy drove the 18th Century enlightenment, perhaps we can all do our bit to encourage a literary renaissance. Cheers. Neil
Old 12-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Lots of ebook newbies all over the web. I've been answering questions at Yahoo!Answers, including very very clueless ones like "How do I put a book in my ebook?"
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually, it's kind of a shame that a new device owner would get so little guidance from their device's included packaging and instructions that they'd need to ask a question like that...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I suspect it takes rather extreme refusal to read basic instructions to come up with a a question like that.

I try to be patient with them; the hardest are the tech questions where I can only give general advice 'cos they haven't told me what device or computer setup they're using, and if I knew those, I could answer, but I'm stuck with "here's some general info and a link."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
So far, with the exception of the Sony ebook library download software problems, things seem to have calmed down a bit.

Is Sony's customer service really closed until the 2nd of January? Did I read that correctly?

I still remember the help and welcome I got here as a newbie, and so try to "pass it on".

Kindle owners are lucky.....there are videos, and lots of info on their kindle site, starting with the very basics, a starter guide downloaded onto the reader, and a paper version as well

If that fails......there is direct customer to Kindle rep lines, and they'll even call you back.

And then there are the experts here.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony "getting started" information is absolutely fine - IF you take the time to actually READ it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony "getting started" information is absolutely fine - IF you take the time to actually READ it.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I think that and assumptions about how things work are the biggest issues. I've tried to help as much as I can, but man if people would just slow down a bit and read the "getting started" flyer that's included with every device.

Welcome to all the newbies and hope MR and the members have been helpful.

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr

Your point is well taken, Kenny and Harry. I guess, though, you've got to take into account Christmas excitement over a new and longed for gift and the impatience that naturally comes with it. Newcomers will soon get to grips with the basics and their questions will become more of a challenge to you old hands.

Remember that these are fellow reading folks who -- in the past -- had nothing more complicated to cope with than ripping the coloured wrapping paper off a treebook. Best. Neil
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Well, Harry, perhaps if you are more 'tech' oriented.......but the frustration these people are showing is painful to watch.

Telling people to "slow down and read the directions" doesn't help when you don't understand the damn things.

I've been there........and sometimes it just takes a guiding hand or a different perspective to make a difference.

It shouldn't be made that hard.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote