Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-25-2014, 03:58 AM   #1
mo4co4
mo4co4 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there any better 10" e-ink reader for pdfs than Onyx M96

I'm looking a e-ink reader for pdf scientific journal articles, mostly text and figures. Found that Onyx M96 (RAM 500MB, CPU 1GHz, resolution 1200x825) have better specifications than M92, Icarus Excel, ProcketBook Pro 902, Kindle DX, Boeye G10. New 13.3" Sony is out of my price range.

So, is there any other ebook readers, that can be better than Onyz M96?

Last edited by mo4co4; 08-25-2014 at 04:04 AM.
mo4co4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please take a look at the innumerable previous threads on this topic. Most of us - who have spent years doing this - would recommend that you use a tablet such as an iPad or Android equivalent - for this, rather than an eInk device. eInk devices tend to have a small amount of RAM and slow CPUs, both of which can be problematic when it comes to PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4co4 View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I think the M96 is the best of the 9,7" E-ink readers for PDF.

But I agree with Harry that a tablet is a better choice for PDFs.

Last edited by mbovenka; 08-25-2014 at 05:04 AM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I'll add my voice to the above. Large screen 9 or 10 inch tablets are much better for PDF's.

Save your e-ink reader for reading regular B&W books without heavy graphics such as maps, charts, photos, etc.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let's go with the argument that a tablet is a better device than e-ink for reading PDFs, which I will now re-write:

"A tablet is a better device for reading PDFs than an e-ink reader."

Here's my question, based upon the thesis statement above:

"What purpose then, does, an e-ink reader such as the M96 serve in the marketplace, and to whom is such a device targeted?"
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Let's go with the argument that a tablet is a better device than e-ink for reading PDFs, which I will now re-write:

"A tablet is a better device for reading PDFs than an e-ink reader."

Here's my question, based upon the thesis statement above:

"What purpose then, does, an e-ink reader such as the M96 serve in the marketplace, and to whom is such a device targeted?"
For me it is: outdoors (during the sunny days) Kindle DX and other e-inks 75% of the time (with iPad as auxiliary device for scribbling, color recognition, surfing...), indoors it's iPad and LCD computers 90% of the time, because Kindle DX doesn't have its own light and I have no problem reading on LCDs for hours (with screen brightness always considerably reduced).

I can read on iPad outdoors during the sunny days for hours without a big problem though, as I used with netbooks and laptops a decade before tablets (using ultra matte anti-glare protector, shade cap, sun glasses + homemade sunshade if needed) but e-ink is overall just more comfortable to me and doesn't take time and effort to find and maintain sweet angle or position.

So, I guess, untill they reduce the price considerably, 10" e-ink readers shall buy and keep those pdf consumers who really suffer from LCD eyestrain or read a lot outdoors or indoors in demanding conditions (like with a lot of light bulbs around).

I guess if Sony had launched reflective 10" or 13" LCD color reader with good pen, simultaneously with DPT-S1, for let's say 500-600 $, I would get one regardless of its viewing angle, colors or contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4co4 View Post
I'm looking a e-ink reader for pdf scientific journal articles, mostly text and figures. Found that Onyx M96 (RAM 500MB, CPU 1GHz, resolution 1200x825) have better specifications than M92, Icarus Excel, ProcketBook Pro 902, Kindle DX, Boeye G10. New 13.3" Sony is out of my price range.

Until they polish M96 software up, M92 could be a better choice.

If or when its annotation/scribbling speed or capability is not good enough for our liking, we can simultaneously use some tablet while reading on e-ink.

Last edited by markom; 08-25-2014 at 04:23 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I think the M96 is the best of the 9,7" E-ink readers for PDF.

But I agree with Harry that a tablet is a better choice for PDFs.
The M92 and M96 are both good for PDF reading.

Despite color, I don't see any advantage for tablets. The LCD display isn't really good for hour long studies.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The M92 and M96 are both good for PDF reading.

Despite color, I don't see any advantage for tablets. The LCD display isn't really good for hour long studies.
Higher resolution (assuming you don't buy a bottom-of-the-barrel tablet) and a faster CPU. I've used both, and preferred my tablet for textbook PDFs. But I admit that my E-ink reader was a Kindle DXG, which (out of the box) doesn't have the best PDF handling around.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Nexus 10 or iPad

You'll pat yourself on the back for your good sense when you get used to it and you'll still be appreciating it long after you've forgotten how much you paid
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Nexus 10 or iPad

You'll pat yourself on the back for your good sense when you get used to it and you'll still be appreciating it long after you've forgotten how much you paid
Question was: Is there any better 10" e-ink ...

Regrettably there are no Apple, Google, Amazon or Sony e-paper(reflective) lcd tablets, as yet.

Hopefully it will change sooner rather than later.

Last edited by markom; 08-30-2014 at 08:25 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Does the M96 have the same wifi issue and other issues like inaccurate input, lags etc that the T68 have? I mean they are running the same operating system from the same manufacture.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
While iPad or a nice 10inch Android tablet might offer a better pdf reading experience feature wise, it is still not e-ink.

Personally, I hate reading on tablets if it is going to be more than a few minutes. Quick lookup on browser sure, but for immersing myself into a book or a document e-ink suits me best.

If you stare 10 hours every day at double LCD monitors, you want your tertiary display be nice on the eyes.

In other words, there is definitely a market for large e-ink readers (as evidenced by unforeseen demand for 13 inch Sony outside their intended audience).

This is why this question keeps coming up, people have tried various tablets and not found them to their liking.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
consider the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 or Note Pro 12 ....both are tablets with active digitizer which is huge for marking up.documents and actual note taking.

as an aside Stylus Write is an awesome note taking app for Android, iOS (I think) and Windows.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #14
trinsic
trinsic began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD Air
I Agree, I purchased a Ipad Air This year to replace my Entourage Edge and I thought it would be a good replacement for the E-Ink screen but I am finding that it doesnt do very well for hours of reading that I do. Its bad on my eyes. Also Apple PDF technology has terrabad reflow. On my Edge PDFS would reflow just fine, but on the Ipad it does not work very well or not at all for most books no matter how many reading apps I tried.

I am also looking for a 9 to 10in E-Ink Screen now for reading. If anybody out there heres of one that has a fast processor and good memory I will have to splurge for a new one.
trinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I occasionally use a 6 inch e-ink device to view pdf files. It is acceptable. The key is to have access to Android pdf reading apps so one can crop the margins and to be able to view in landscape mode. I would expect that the Onyx 9.7 inch device, which is open Android, would work very well. The only alternatives are the huge sony device and the cad reader clone. I imagine these are ideal for viewing pdfs but the software is limited.

I dont use a tablet screen to read on because it makes my eyes sore.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote