Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #1
Whiclosselte
Whiclosselte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Read books and watch videos

I'm looking for a tablet to read books and watch videos.
I wanted to buy the kindle paperwhite but it can't play videos.
What do you suggest me? Is a surface good?
Would prefer not the most expensive
Whiclosselte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiclosselte View Post
I wanted to buy the kindle paperwhite but it can't play videos.
What do you suggest me? Is a surface good?
Would prefer not the most expensive
eReaders are, strictly speaking, not tablets. There are some eReaders striving to become Tablets, without much success though.

You would be better off with an iPad or Kindle/Nook/Kobo Tablets.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Whiclosselte
Whiclosselte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xibalban View Post
eReaders are, strictly speaking, not tablets. There are some eReaders striving to become Tablets, without much success though.

You would be better off with an iPad or Kindle/Nook/Kobo Tablets.
"Kindle/Nook/Kobo" what can you suggest me?
The one I can read on without hurting my eyes too much!
And what about the nexus 7?
Some seem to cost a lot

Last edited by Whiclosselte; 08-20-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Whiclosselte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The one I can read on without hurting my eyes too much!
That's the reason for the evolution of ePaper based devices for reading. People wanted the paper-like feel and the portability of mobile devices.

You must, hence, understand the difference between the types of displays used by mobile devices. The tablets use back-lit LCD, which, unlike a paper can strain your eyes after a few hours of reading. ePaper Display (or eInk, etc), on the other hand, feels like actual paper and hence eliminates eye-strain.

The eInk Displays, found in devices like Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura, etc are best suited for reading only and are monochrome (black&white). These displays are simply not suited to watching videos or playing games.

So, if you desire a device for reading books without eyestrain, you must sacrifice the video watching capabilities from that device - and vice-versa.

Nexus 7 is a great device that supports Video Playback but I cannot say the same for eBook Reading "without eyestrain".

Although Kobo, Kindle & Nook are primary ePaper giants, they also manufacture Tablets which support video playback and are supposed to provide better eBook reading experience than other tablets like iPad or Nexus.

Quote:
Sorry, but presently, you won't ideally find anything that will allow you to do both on the same device.

Last edited by xibalban; 08-20-2014 at 06:35 AM.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
The current Nexus 7, the Kindle Fire HDX series, and the current iPads are all great for reading. They have super sharp, high resolution displays that make text look beautiful.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
The current Nexus 7, the Kindle Fire HDX series, and the current iPads are all great for reading. They have super sharp, high resolution displays that make text look beautiful.
I agree
The iPad Air and iPad 4 have the Retina display, excellent for reading eBooks and eMagazines

The Nexus 7 has the same quality screen, some say better, and is smaller lighter and about half the price of the iPads

I have an iPad 4 and a Nexus 7, I use the Nexus with five different reader apps for all my eBooks
Whereas I use the iPad 4, because of the bigger screen, for reading eMagazines
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote