Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2024, 12:49 AM   #1
ellipticaldoor
ellipticaldoor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation
Can I get some info and help about jailbreak?

Hello, this is my first post here. I read previous threads and it seems that what I want to do might be possible but I'm a little lost.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation on firmware 5.13.7

I want to jailbreak the device so I can remove all amazon related branding, like links to the shop, etc.

Also I will like to be able to read epub files, though this is not essential for me.

I find quite annoying to keep seeing branding and ads from a company when the only thing I want is to read a book.

Is that possible?
ellipticaldoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:13 AM   #2
lukealex
lukealex began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Probably not? It's pretty limited what you can do once jailbroken. Normally it's little apps and things that run on top of the normal firmware. Removing parts like the Amazon store would presumably require a more fundamental modification of the firmware that I'm not aware of having been done (but I'm a bit out of the loop).

I think iI saw somewhere a hack that would allow you to change the wallpaper you see when the screen is off, that's maybe a form of de-branding.

One thing that might be possible is to prevent the Kindle from communicating with Amazon servers. I'm not sure, but you could look into that.

Generally, most people on here are pretty fond of Amazon, and as such, are not interested in what you're suggested.

You can definitely jailbreak your device though. And pretty sure you can read epubs.
lukealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 05:28 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To read ePub, you would have to install KOReader.

Here is the link tot he jailbreak thread for your your version firmware.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346037

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-27-2024 at 05:31 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:45 PM   #4
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipticaldoor View Post
I find quite annoying to keep seeing branding and ads from a company when the only thing I want is to read a book.
Any ads from Amazon on a Kindle would only be on the lockscreen, or recommendations on the Home screen. There are never ads inserted and shown while you are actively reading. Any ads inside a book are from the publisher, not Amazon. If you want to get rid of the lockscreen ads then pay back the discount that was given to be ad-supported, or contact Amazon Customer support and just ask them to be removed, nicely of course.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote