Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
mobi format on the Boox

I have tried converting numerous epubs to mobi using calibre and there are no page breaks in the mobi at all even though they are in the epub. Is this just a boox problem reading mobi? Other forums have posts where people use calibre to convert epub to mobi and they always get page breaks.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
hca2000
hca2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Bebook Mini, HTC Desire, Ipad, Kindle 3 Wifi
Yes, it's the Boox having problems with pagebreaks in the mobi format. It is rather annoying as mobi is otherwise my favorite format.

I have seen books in the mobi format with pagebreaks on the Boox, but then they just had a line across the page in my other reader (Bebook mini).
hca2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for the info. I wonder if they are planning on fully supporting it in the future. being able to make the font bold would certainly make it easier to read - I have trouble because the text is dark gray and not black.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive me for asking, but why don't you simply read them as ePub files rather than converting them? What benefit does Mobi format bring you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
hca2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
thanks for the info. I wonder if they are planning on fully supporting it in the future. being able to make the font bold would certainly make it easier to read - I have trouble because the text is dark gray and not black.
Actually, you should already be able to make the text bold. I known for a fact the font Bitstream Vera, that comes with the Boox, can be turned into bold letters in the menu "Font" below the font sizes.

At least thats how it works in the latest firmware.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hca2000 View Post
Actually, you should already be able to make the text bold. I known for a fact the font Bitstream Vera, that comes with the Boox, can be turned into bold letters in the menu "Font" below the font sizes.

At least thats how it works in the latest firmware.
I upgraded to 1.420100811 and I don't see it. I don't remember seeing it in the previous firmware either. the font in the menus is so small I have problems with it so maybe I am missing something.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive me for asking, but why don't you simply read them as ePub files rather than converting them? What benefit does Mobi format bring you?
bold fonts

Quote:
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Purple Lady- I got your PM and am looking into it.

As for bold see the attached picture

when selecting the font size you can also select for Bold or Italic

Bold is the selection on the bottom left Italic is selected in the picture

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BooxBold.png
Views:	2257
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	57105  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
hca2000

Quote:
I upgraded to 1.420100811 and I don't see it. I don't remember seeing it in the previous firmware either. the font in the menus is so small I have problems with it so maybe I am missing something.
I have tried to attach an edited snapshot of the menu with the markings 1 and 2 in red, hopefully clearly marking first the font menu and secondly the bold option under the font menu.

I hope the picture is helpfull

I now see Dulin's books beat me to it... oh well!

Last edited by hca2000; 08-24-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well you were taking the time to make those red circles still, great minds...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

are both of these mobi? I want mobi so I can use bold, but I really don't like having no page breaks so I use epub.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Why not try a conversion from epub to one of the other formats the Boox supports, e.g. FB2? You will then also have the option to select Bold, and you may have the page breaks (I'm not sure, I never tried, but it may worth a go).
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Yes FB2 works nicely. you can bold and change line spacing. the problem with the epub is that the boox is using the adobe reader to read all epubs even non drm's ones. Maybe they could update it and give you a choice of reading it with the fbreader then you would have bold option with epub files.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I didn't get page breaks with fb2, but I did get them with pdb. unfortunately I didn't get a table of contents with pdb from calibre and I found where it said that with clabre you can only get a toc if you use ereader format which boox doesn't support.

I want both page breaks and toc along with bold - what can I say, I want everything.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Well, I guess the only solution then is that you edit your epubs.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote