Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mac OS X DeDRM tool

I've just seen that a new DeDRM tool for Mac OS X (10.5 and 10.6) has been released in the usual place.

This time it's an AppleScript that automates running the previously available python scripts, so that removing DRM from your ebooks is now a simple drag&drop operation.

I've tried it out and it seems to work well. It doesn't handle Kindle Topaz, Adobe PDF or Apple ePub, but it's worked for me for Kindle Mobipocket (.azw), other Mobipocket (.prc, .mobi), eReader (.pdb), Barnes & Noble ePub and Adobe ePubs.

I can't provide a link, as Mobileread has sensibly decided to play it safe by not allowing explicit linking or help with DRM removal to avoid any possible legal complications.

But a certain shadowy gentleman's blog provides links, as does the blog of Alf, his so-called "apprentice" (who appears to be the author, according to the splash screen displayed when the script is run).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Thanks for this.

I'm using the calibre plug-in with great success so I don't need the update but it's good to know my options.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Thanks for the update. I've got into a rhythm with my deDRM process (in large part thanks to your ePub script), but simplifying is a good thing. Too bad it doesn't do Adobe PDF.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
I've been using Skindle with great success and ease on my XP virtual box in my Macbook - i'll be taking a look at this and the calibre plug in.... may save the whole windows needed malarkey.

thanks....
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I've been using Skindle with great success and ease on my XP virtual box in my Macbook - i'll be taking a look at this and the calibre plug in.... may save the whole windows needed malarkey.

thanks....
I was doing the same thing. Finally tried the calibre plugin. It's a time saver.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
If only you could do the same for itunes songs...
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
My solution to that is a bit roundabout, but does work.

Put newly acquired iTunes songs in playlist, burn playlist to CD (rewriteable is fine for this if your hardware gets along with that). Rip CD to desired format/bitrate. Bye-bye, DRM.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
iTunes songs have been DRM free for nearly two years now. Only songs bought before (approx.) January 2009 will have DRM on them.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just seen that a new DeDRM tool for Mac OS X (10.5 and 10.6) has been released in the usual place.

This time it's an AppleScript that automates running the previously available python scripts, so that removing DRM from your ebooks is now a simple drag&drop operation.
Cool - thanks for the heads up!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
That is excellent news. It even handles the ePub files with odd directories that required the attention of ePub Zip 1.0.2 AppleScript.

Certainly a time saver!

Thanks for the heads-up.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

It seems that this has now been updated to allow drag&drop decoding of PDF files as well. It seems to have worked on the very small number of encrypted PDFs I have.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've just got notice that the DeDRM Applescript ha now been updated to include everything needed to dedrm most PDFs (no more having to find ineptpdf), and can now also decode Topaz ebooks, and ebooks downloaded directly to/for Kindles, as well as ones for Kindle for Mac.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I have never managed to find this blog? Is a link to the blog allowed?

I found a pc version and something supposed to be a Mac version of the python script but no joy and have never Seen a calibre plug in.

Does a calibre plug in exist for PC use? My 60+ dad finds the process of buying a book liberating with the scripts which I have found for PC from a torrent DL!! And then putting it in calibre a bit hard, even though I have written it out for him!

All he wants to do is buy books but needs a larger font size! Which he can't get unless he liberates it and uses calibre!

EDIT- Sorted thanks to a kind person
Not sure if that's a limitation of his coolEr ereaders or of the original files from waterstones.

Last edited by stustaff; 01-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
rgentozala
rgentozala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I must be doing something wrong coz it's not working for me.
rgentozala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgentozala View Post
I must be doing something wrong coz it's not working for me.
Explicit help isn't allowed on this board, but I believe that you can add a comment to a certain blog.