Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
sally617
sally617 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Question Where to launch a formal complaint against Amazon?

I just bought my kindle amd I am still thrilled about it. However, I just found out that credit card registration or gift card is reguired to download FREE kindle books. Currently I do not have one and I do not plan to get one either. The only option left to me to to buy gift cards to download those 'FREE' kindle books. In this case, they are not free anymore. I contacted customer service twice and the only response I got is that it is the policy, I have nothing to do but to obey it or to return my kindle. Why do Amazon need my billing adress for free books? Isn't email sufficient? Apparently Apple is satisfied with using email address.

I found the policy of Amazon discriminatory. My benefits of downloading free stuff has been deprived simply because i am not a credit card owner. Indeed I have to pay for these so-called free books. Also, the ads are misleading because I cannot see sign of 'credit card or gift crad required' when Amazon is bragging about their huge collection of free kindle books.

Apart from the FTC Bureau of Concumer Protection, which i googled, anywhere else I can lauch a formal complaint against Amazon?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Pokesomi
Pokesomi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 INT
Call Amazon Directly. They will usually setup something to work it out. They have been great for any issues i have had. Call them up. They will work with you on it.
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
You could simply purchase a ten or twenty dollar gift card ... or ask a relative to give you one for your next birthday or holiday. That card could establish an Amazon.com account.

I wouldn't personally use the term "discriminatory" because Amazon.com does, indeed, publicly state on their Web site that a credit card or Amazon gift card is necessary to access books on their site.

BUT - If I felt like you are feeling, I would certainly try to "sweet talk" myself into a resolution. I'd say that that "credit card or gift card" requirement wasn't easily found on the Web site. I'd tell them that their device was recommended to me as the finest eReading experience available ...

You get the picture. Legally, Amazon can tell you to have a nice day and kiss you off. Put yourself in the Amazon customer service rep's shoes for a moment, and think to yourself: "WIll I get further by yelling "DISCRIMINATION!" or by trying to sweet talk the rep. What approach from a client would YOU feel inclined to "work things out" with???
Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Really? That's weird, cause when I first started downloading from Kindle, I did not have a credit card or a gift card attached to the account. I was just trying it out via the free eBooks to see if I liked it. Had no problem downloading at all. Is this a recent rule change?

Editing to add that I didn't even have a Kindle at first, I just downloaded to the Kindle PC program.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Why single out Amazon.
B&N also requires credit card information for their "free" books. I would feel much safer with Amazon having that information as opposed to B&N which is up for-sale and staring bankruptcy in the face.
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
I second the Visa or Mastercard gift card option (I've used it myself). You can register the card with Amazon and then spend the money on something else.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally617 View Post
I just bought my kindle amd I am still thrilled about it. However, I just found out that credit card registration or gift card is reguired to download FREE kindle books. Currently I do not have one and I do not plan to get one either. The only option left to me to to buy gift cards to download those 'FREE' kindle books. In this case, they are not free anymore. I contacted customer service twice and the only response I got is that it is the policy, I have nothing to do but to obey it or to return my kindle. Why do Amazon need my billing adress for free books? Isn't email sufficient? Apparently Apple is satisfied with using email address.

I found the policy of Amazon discriminatory. My benefits of downloading free stuff has been deprived simply because i am not a credit card owner. Indeed I have to pay for these so-called free books. Also, the ads are misleading because I cannot see sign of 'credit card or gift crad required' when Amazon is bragging about their huge collection of free kindle books.

Apart from the FTC Bureau of Concumer Protection, which i googled, anywhere else I can lauch a formal complaint against Amazon?
then use apple if they satisfy your needs
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FluxCapacitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
I wouldn't personally use the term "discriminatory" because Amazon.com does, indeed, publicly state on their Web site that a credit card or Amazon gift card is necessary to access books on their site.
Restaurants also used to have signs saying 'We do not serve blacks'. Did the fact that they had a public policy make it right? The amazon policy is indeed discriminatory against folks that do not have credit cards, which by its nature discriminates against folks on the poor side of the tracks.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a bank debit card, you can use that as a credit card and all will be well.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
If you got gift cards, technically, it could still be thought of as getting free books, since you could use the gift cards to buy Kindle books you would have paid for anyway.

You didn't get the Kindle just for the free books, did you? If so, then, okay, I get your point.

But lodging a complaint is still a good idea, even if it means they edit the Kindle info on free books to be clearer on rules for others considering purchase with your same issue.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't mean to be impolite, but honestly it's nobody's fault but your own that you failed to do your research about how their store operates before purchasing the device. As mentioned previously, it is clearly stated that a credit card is required.

Forgive the obvious question, but why not just get a credit card? Eg, one of the pre-pay Visa cards that are widely available.

This is certainly not a discriminatory policy, as you claim; it applies equally to everybody.

Finally, it's worth noting that Amazon is not the only source of free books for the Kindle; you can download thousands of them right here at MR.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-07-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #12
sally617
sally617 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
For people who stated that Amazon has out sign of credit card or gift card needed to access books, can you tell me where it is? I am unable to find it out.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Go to the "your account" page and select "edit payment method"; you'll see that the only payment methods accepted are credit cards.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Go to the "your account" page and select "edit payment method"; you'll see that the only payment methods accepted are credit cards.
That still isn't good enough to know beforehand that the free books need a credit card on record first.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
mdurham
mdurham began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how do you 'pay' for something that is free? It's nonsense.
Closed Thread

Tags
complaint