Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #91
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'll just wait...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #92
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Some of us want the K2 US file, too
I know I do
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #93
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Is it late May, yet?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #94
daxbr
daxbr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle1, kindle7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxbr
Please correct me if I am wrong but it looks like once again Kindle 1 owners are left out.

Very disappointing Amazon abandoned their pioneer customers who invested in Kindle 1 when Amazon needed their support the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
Not necessarily. Some people on the Amazon forum are reporting getting a response from CS saying that they are going to do collections for the K1, but they do not have a timeline right now. We have had a small email campaign over there with people emailing CS in support of the K1 owners.
My message to Amazon CS:
Regarding your upgrade announcement (Kindle Software Update Version 2.5 http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680), kindly advise if that upgrade will also be applied to Kindle 1?

Reply from Amazon yesterday:
I'm sorry; We haven’t released a software update for the first generation Kindle recently. We still support your Kindle and plan to continue providing support in the future. You can make sure you have the most recent version of the software for your Kindle by visiting this Help page: http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

I take it as a NO.
daxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #95
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxbr View Post

I take it as a NO.
Yes, I would also, at least in lieu of an Amazon Official announcement to the contrary. I know someone on the Amazon.com Kindle forum claims CS told them there would be a Collections update for K1, but that's a little indirect so I wouldn't take it as settled fact. Amazon might well be working on it now, but many software projects never see the light of day, given shifting business priorities.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just woke up (I work nights).

I dreamed I had the update already.

I have no life.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #97
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just woke up (I work nights).

I dreamed I had the update already.

I have no life.
It is the first thing I do each morning - check the kindle, check this forum, check kindleboards, check Amazon. I too, have no life.

Last edited by Pushka; 05-03-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #98
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxbr View Post
Quote:

I take it as a NO.

"Thank you for being an early adopter. We'd love to get your input at: kindle-feedback@amazon.com"
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #99
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I still have the following email to Amazon support in my email folder sent to them over a year ago:

---------------
03/07/09 08:40:57
Your Name:Robert Butler
Comments:Are you planning on updating the software on the Kindle 1 to support some of the new features on the Kindle 2? I realize that you can't support everything due to hardware changes, but I'm hoping you will continue to improve the original model and not abandon the early adopters.

Response:
Hello,

Thanks for writing about requesting updates for the Kindle 1. Rest assured we are still working on making improvements for the Kindle 1.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. I'll send your comments to the Kindle team.
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #100
Hiro.
Hiro. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi, I am a Kindle2 owner from Japan.

I recently received the 2.5 firmware update and used it to update my Kindle.
After that I noticed a trouble with displaying Japanese PDF files.
It is difficult for me to put it into words precisely so I uploaded a screenshot.
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8...enshot8808.gif
As you can see, the rightmost letters can not be displayed properly.
Although in this picture with zooming we can read them somehow
without zooming those letters are unreadable on the Kindle.
It looks like the displaying area got smaller?

Since the Kindle doesn't support Japanese language naively at all,
most people use PDF with a font embedded to read Japanese books.
Many of us already have a lot of PDF files specifically optimised for the previous firmware, so this issue is troubling.
Nobody wants to go thorough creating the same files again...

I want to tell Amazon about this and ask them to fix this.
but I could not find where to email and I can not post in their fourm because I have not purchased items.
Does anybody know their email address?
I really feel like downgrading the firmware to the previous version somehow....
Hiro. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #101
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro. View Post

After that I noticed a trouble with displaying Japanese PDF files.

Hn.... so few of us have the 2.5 update, it's hard to say. Can you upload a pic of it before it's zoomed in?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #102
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Hi, I am a Kindle2 owner from Japan. ... I recently received the 2.5 firmware update and used it to update my Kindle. After that I noticed a trouble with displaying Japanese PDF files. ... Does anybody know their email address? ...
Here's the link to their Kindle Support contact page. There's an e-mail link there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200212360

In Japan, you can also dial direct: 1-206-266-0927.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #103
Hiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Hn.... so few of us have the 2.5 update, it's hard to say. Can you upload a pic of it before it's zoomed in?
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/9...enshot8810.gif
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/701...enshot8811.gif
Before I updated I could read them with no problem at all.
I dont know what changed but it is pretty annoying...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #104
Hiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Here's the link to their Kindle Support contact page. There an e-mail link there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200212360

In Japan, you can also dial direct: 1-206-266-0927.
Thank you for the link! I could send an email.
Really hope they fix this...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #105
dubmehard
dubmehard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:

then you should upload the bin file so anybody who's longing for it can upgrade.

Here are the instructions to do it, feel free to mail me if you have problems - dubmehard at gmail dot com.

taken from another board, the source is the work of JohnnyTToxic. all rights reserved.

all credits goes to him along with the royalties, the fame and the respect for his shiny contribute to the cause.

#################################################

QUOTE START

If anyone does get the update automatically over the air and doesn't have a chance to catch the .bin file before it is automatically installed, it's pretty easy to get it back so that you can share the wealth.

All you have to do is run a file recovery program "Recuva" by Piriform works best. When you get the automatic update over the air, the .bin file is downloaded to the root of your kindle and when the update is installed, the .bin file is automatically deleted.

QUOTE END

################################################## ####

-> start program, select the kindle as the device, push scan, locate and select the bin files and right click to recover -> then for god's sake upload the file to depositfile or rapidshare or whatever

thanks mate

Last edited by dubmehard; 05-04-2010 at 11:03 AM.
dubmehard is offline   Reply With Quote