Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Rapefruit
Rapefruit has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3 (64MB)
Lightbulb Comparison of all available V3 firmwares

Hello Everybody!

I think what is missing in the wiki is a comparison of all available firmwares. I'm thinking of comparing features, stability, speed, flexibility, usability and output result quality. (Certainly not in that order.)

My aim is to encurage others in experimenting with different firmwares, thus improving the user experience.

There is a listing of official firmwares mentioned in the wiki:But it is quite obvious that there is something important missing there: At least Open Inkpot needs to be added here and if I understand correctly, there are also enhanced versions of the lBook Firmware that may be different enough to be included in an overview (although I've never run anything like that myself yet).

I would like to ask all of you to make suggestions for entries to the comparison (with firmware version and link, if possible). Unless there are good reasons (feature wise) I think it reasonable to keep the number of firmwares down to max. two versions from each "supplier".

Also, I'm trying to put together a selection of reference files for the most important formats to allow for a fair comparison. Does anybody know of such a compilation or is it time to define our own?
I am thinking about:
  • Document formats (PDF with scans, Reflowable PDFs, PDFs with multi-column, DOC, RTF etc.)
  • Ebooks (MOBI, EPUB, TXT, etc.)
  • Image formats (GIF, JPEG, PNG etc. color, grayscale and line art, in various sizes with and without need for on-device scaling)
  • HTML (With and without links, CSS, columns, tables, pictures, etc.)
Thanks for the help!
Rapefruit

Last edited by Rapefruit; 09-08-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Cleaning up
Rapefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think a comparison of the features of the firmware would be interesting. In addition I am thinking a comparison of the various formats would also be interesting. I think only the current versions should be compared unless there is some specific reason to hold on to an old release, such as DRM mobi support for example.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Astak just added hyperlink support in Pdf & epub in there latest firmware update I haven't tried it yet

I am using BeBooks latest firmware that has search and better text size support for epub
has no hyperlink for epubs yet but I am ok with it.
as I only read epubs I have formatted myself.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote