Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS505
Unhappy Files disappearing!

I have been using Calibre on Vista for a few days and I must say all is so great. Yes it took me time to get used to all features but I really liked it so much and I used it to finally organize books on my computer and my PRS 505 as well.

I finished with library organization but was surprised when realised that some books have disappeared from assigned Calibre folders. That happened to some PDF files following no particular pattern

I think that some of them disappeared during the saving to disk operation. I saved all books to another partition of my hard disk because I always love having a backup copy. So I did it all over again and this time after I saved them to disk I checked every single pdf and some of them were corrupted. They were not corrupted after I imported them to the library but they were corrupted after I saved them to another location. The thing is that both files were corrupted in Library's original folder and in backup location. SO I gave up at least I had my lrfs :-) But today I wanted to import some books to my PRS 505 I realized that some of lrfs have disappeared as well. Maybe I can just copy entire Calibre folder but in that case I don't have metadata saved ...

I looked through the forum about this problem and could not find anything. I do apologise if my question has repeated. But I really would be disappointed if I could not use Calibre in future if it continues eating my books....
The CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Saving to disk will not affect your calibre library. It creates copies of files. In fact calibre never makes changes to the copies in its library, to ensure they can never be corrupted.

Saving to disk however updates the metadata in the copies it creates. It is probably that that is causing the corrupted PDF files. You can fo to Preferences->Plugins and disable the PDF metadata writer plugin, that will make this problem go away.

The only thing I can think of that could cause this is if you used some other program like windows explorer to manipulate the files in calibre's library, or you accidentally used the library folder as a save to location
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS505
Thank you for your quick response. However none of those hasn't happened. I mean I didn't accidentally mixed the folders. And yes I thought something happened within the pdf files and it was strange to me too why it changes pdf files in original location, but when I saw today that lrfs files were missing from original library only opf files were left in folders.... Anyway since I really like this software I did a back up of missing files again and from now on I will backup book by book as i am adding them. And if the problem appears again will let you know :-) Thank you again :-)
The CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
database, files missing, problem