Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
HELP - 30 minute presentation to 16 year olds on ebooks

Hi all,

I am going to be presenting to a large group of 16 year olds on "Ereaders & Ebooks" as part of may daughters schools "book day". None of them will have seen one before or probably even heard of them as I live in ruralish Spain.

Do you have any facts / figures / resources / links that you think might be helpful or that these youths needs to know?

Thanks, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi, sounds like a great talk ! i don't know how scientific you want to make it, but there are some very good diagrams of how e-ink works which might be interesting to show them. you can find a lot searching on google :
http://images.google.com/images?rlz=...N&hl=en&tab=wi

here is one which can be found on the eink.com site http://www.eink.com/technology/howitworks.html

it is copyright by the eink company but i am sure they would allow you to use it for educational purposes (it's been used in many different websites already, as you can see in the google results).

another point to make is that ebooks allow easy access to books that might otherwise be hard to find, because they are out of print, but also because (particularly since you say you'll be speaking in ruralish spain, where presumably there are not a lot of big bookstores) you don't need to depend on the stock of paper books which is available in a local bookshop or library, which is often limited even in big cities. this is an amazing ressource to preserve culture and also to discover new authors they might otherwise not be exposed to.

and, you could point out that any of the budding writers in the group (there are always some, at that age, right ?) could easily publish some of their own writing as ebooks and potentially be read by people all over the world. i would talk about feedbooks.com, which has a spanish language section ; they can find books to read there (for free !), and they could also publish their own works.

let us know how it goes !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Perhaps another point that might interest them is how many books can be carried by such a lightweight gadget.
When I was a student, lugging text books about was a major chore.

Also, they provide a good means of reading for many disabled people - with eyesight or dexterity impairment for example. (Fonts can be made bigger for easier reading, page turning is just a button press.)

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-22-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Have you checked the MobileRead Wiki for info on eBooks?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I'm guessing many of them have mobile phones which could be used for reading ebooks, so they might be interested in information about how to find and download free books for their phones. Sorry, I have a basic, cheap phone so don't have any specific links to help with that.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobile_devices

Last edited by Curly; 04-23-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I'm guessing many of them have mobile phones which could be used for reading ebooks, so they might be interested in information about how to find and download free books for their phones. Sorry, I have a basic, cheap phone so don't have any specific links to help with that.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobile_devices
that is a good idea curly. i know that on some phones you can install mobipocket reader, although i don't know how. also, there is a site called booksinmyphone which has individual books wrapped in java apps which can be used on most telephones (i have some on mine). they are free, so it's all public domain stuff (and some creative commons licences), and i believe they have only english language books, but it could be an interesting ressource anyway.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Thanks Zelda, Curly, Rebarnmom & Sparrow for the ideas

Any more ideas for presenting ebooks & ereader to literature hungry kids?

Thanks, AndiR
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The thread on the Paris meet-up has a picture of quite a few different ebook readers all together. The fourth picture might be worth printing out, to show the kids.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
AndiR
Rather interested

Thanks badgoodDeb for the link!
AndiR
Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Along the phones idea - using things like the iPod Touch, the PSP and the Nintendo DS as readers?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
AndiR
Rather interested

Thanks to all for the ideas...

Attached is what I will present!

I have not asked for permission for any of the images so I guess this thread may get pulled pretty quickly!

So thanks for:
Ideas
Links
Images

Sorry for "stealing" images in the name of educating on ebooks / ereaders :-(

I'll let you know what they think tomorrow but it is now 3am and time for bed!

It doesn't cover everything but I am to give them an overview only!

AndiR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ereading_presentation.pdf (774.8 KB, 266 views)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Great job!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
AndiR -- I'm impressed! This is a very nice presentation and your PDF will be a nice take-home for the students.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #14
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Fabulous presentation! Let us know how you get on.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

really nice presentation AndiR ! i think the students will get a good understanding of ebooks and you make some very good and interesting points. thank you for showing us your pdf ! perhaps it can help someone else who might make a presentation like this in the future. good luck with it ! please tell us how it goes.