Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It occurs to me that if Calibre is making changes to the Kobo's SQL database and some process is still running on the Glo which is also doing housekeeping the above conditions might apply. This is just a theory - I don't have the tools or skills to investigate further.

BobC
When the Kobo is attached via USB to the host, a udev script is run on the Kobo.

One thing this script explicitly does is to dismount the file systems for both the external SD card, and the user partition on the internal SD card.

As might be expected, when the device is removed the same udev script runs and remounts both file systems.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When the Kobo is attached via USB to the host, a udev script is run on the Kobo.

One thing this script explicitly does is to dismount the file systems for both the external SD card, and the user partition on the internal SD card.

As might be expected, when the device is removed the same udev script runs and remounts both file systems.
Peter,

Thanks for that insight - it looks like I need to find another tree to bark up.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for that insight - it looks like I need to find another tree to bark up.
I really hope we can find that tree

And to add a data point for this from me.

Yesterday, I sent 932 from my Win7 laptop to the Glo. Then disconnected and connected several times, sent other books as wel and finally deleted them all. All with no errors. In between that, I had my old Touch connected with not problems as well. But, at the moment, this is running 1.9.17. The USB controller on this laptop is "Intel ICH9".

I then copied the library to an old WinXP laptop. This is from 2005 with a Celeron processor and 512MB of memory. I tried the same basic tests plus deleting and uploading the covers for these books. The USB controller on this laptop is "Intel 82801FB/FBM".

I don't have an AMD machine I can test with. My wife has an AMD laptop, but I'm not allowed to touch that unless something is broken (which will still be my fault). It's running 64bit WIn7, so wouldn't prove anything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #19
Alisendre
Alisendre began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G - Kobo Glo
Hello,
if I got the thing right, I have an Intel ICH10 USB controller on my desktop (running Win XP)
Alisendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I really hope we can find that tree

I then copied the library to an old WinXP laptop. This is from 2005 with a Celeron processor and 512MB of memory. I tried the same basic tests plus deleting and uploading the covers for these books. The USB controller on this laptop is "Intel 82801FB/FBM".
My laptop is slightly newer (2007 or so, a Core2Duo with 1.5 GB RAM), but it has the same(ish) USB controller (Intel 82801G). And I can't even get it to send two books at the same time, let alone 932...

If I want to send more than one or two books, I convert them to kepub, save the kepubs to disk and copy them by hand. That works, but it's far from optimal.

So yeah, I sure hope we find that tree...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
My laptop is slightly newer (2007 or so, a Core2Duo with 1.5 GB RAM), but it has the same(ish) USB controller (Intel 82801G). And I can't even get it to send two books at the same time, let alone 932...

If I want to send more than one or two books, I convert them to kepub, save the kepubs to disk and copy them by hand. That works, but it's far from optimal.

So yeah, I sure hope we find that tree...
Try disabling (not remove, so it can be quickly re-enabled) the Enhanced Controller in the device manager. This makes the device behave as a USB 1 (snail slow) device.
The only problem with this solution is it affect ALL of the Intel USB ports

BTW if this allows the Kobo to work, it only proves (without a full USB certification suite) that the Pair (Kobo<->PC) is an Engineering Tolerance Edge case.
My first PEz would not work with many ICH5 series, but without all the timings a Certification does, I would not be able to PROVE the device was the villian (The newer on works perfect with all settings normal)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Try disabling (not remove, so it can be quickly re-enabled) the Enhanced Controller in the device manager. This makes the device behave as a USB 1 (snail slow) device.

BTW if this allows the Kobo to work, it only proves (without a full USB certification suite) that the Pair (Kobo<->PC) is an Engineering Tolerance Edge case.
My first PEz would not work with many ICH5 series, but without all the timings a Certification does, I would not be able to PROVE the device was the villian (The newer on works perfect with all settings normal)
I'll try that this evening. I'll have to install Calibre on the local disk first, as my normal install is a portable on an external USB disk. And starting Calibre with a 77K library off an USB1 device will probably take all evening
Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I'll try that this evening. I'll have to install Calibre on the local disk first, as my normal install is a portable on an external USB disk. And starting Calibre with a 77K library off an USB1 device will probably take all evening
Not that bad
You don't read the book (files), only the program and DB
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:

Alas, it made no difference at all. My Aura HD behaved exactly the same as with USB2 enabled: with automatic metadata management enabled it dropped off the bus as soon as Calibre was done with it, and with it set to manual it let me send a single book, after which it's gone
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats

It was a try
I wonder if something on the Kobo is crashing and the USB drops as a result? Storage error?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
It was a try
I wonder if something on the Kobo is crashing and the USB drops as a result? Storage error?
Yeah, it was worth a try. I don't know what happens. I do know that both the Kobo database and the file system survive whatever it is unhurt: both an SQL database check and CHKDSK give it a clean bill of health.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I brought the glo to work to experiment with the pcs from the office to see if the problem appeared, I use caliber portable in a usb drive and tried it in 4 different computers, all of them with XP but all with different hardware and I got the error in every one of them.

To overcome the issue what I’ doing now is preparing the books in caliber using my PC which has xp, sending them to the glo with the option to send metadata to the device set on “manual management” that even though generates the error it does so after having transferred the books to the glo. Then when I can I borrow my brother laptop that has windows vista, I change the option to send metadata to the device to “automatic management” and connect my glo, this way all the metadata are updated.

It’s not ideal specially because I have to depend on the availability of a borough laptop but for now it works, maybe my experience can help someone in similar circumstances.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #28
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to fathom what this problem is either. A problem like this has been reported a few people. Calibre seems to connect to the Kobo device OK, but after a while, the device disappears and an error like you are seeing is shown. This can happen during the first "Send Metadata to Device" job, or it can happen after sending some books to the device.

I think, but am not sure, that all reports of the problem have been with Windows XP SP3. That makes me think there might be a problem with the USB driver in XP. I have just dug out an old laptop with XP on it, so I'll see if I can reproduce the problem here.
Actually, I've experienced this problem (just tonight, in fact) and I have Windows 7.

Furthermore, I've noticed that I get this "Error Communicating With Device" message after synching--this has happened each time I've synched (both with my Touch and now my Aura).

Any thoughts? Do I have a setting wrong somewhere? I know I have the latest version of Calibre--I always update immediately when a new version has been released.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #29
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Actually, I've experienced this problem (just tonight, in fact) and I have Windows 7.

Furthermore, I've noticed that I get this "Error Communicating With Device" message after synching--this has happened each time I've synched (both with my Touch and now my Aura).

Any thoughts? Do I have a setting wrong somewhere? I know I have the latest version of Calibre--I always update immediately when a new version has been released.
I've been having this problem for some time. I believe it is related to some form of inconsistency in Kobo's database as I have, with a lot of prodding, managed to replicate the problem without Calibre being involved. The cure, usually, has been to "vacuum" the Kobo's sqlite database using a suitable tool.

It often seems to be triggered if I use Calibre to delete a book from my Glo or when I have managed to get a mismatch between metadata - for instance when I have changed the spelling of an Author's name. Things normally go o.k if I just add books but updating ones there or deleting them can show up the problem.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I've been having this problem for some time. I believe it is related to some form of inconsistency in Kobo's database as I have, with a lot of prodding, managed to replicate the problem without Calibre being involved. The cure, usually, has been to "vacuum" the Kobo's sqlite database using a suitable tool.

It often seems to be triggered if I use Calibre to delete a book from my Glo or when I have managed to get a mismatch between metadata - for instance when I have changed the spelling of an Author's name. Things normally go o.k if I just add books but updating ones there or deleting them can show up the problem.

BobC
I end up having to do a factory reset each time; this isn't the end of the world, but then I have to go through all my books that I've read individually and have the device mark them as "finished". That's the biggest pill.

I haven't done anything associated with the sqlite database at all, so I'm not even sure where I'd start with that.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote