Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
jackibar
Enthusiast
jackibar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone apps
Chapters in iBooks Format Problem

Hi, everyone...

I've created an ePub book using Sigil and am trying to get the book formatted properly for iBooks. The TOC is fine, each "Chapter" is in a separate file - which is where I want all page breaks to be, and all is well except one thing. The "# pages left in Chapter" at the bottom of the page in iBooks is picking up ALL my headers (even subheaders within Chapters) as new "Chapters" and, therefore, miscouning how many pages are left "in this Chapter".

Does anyone know what iBooks is looking for as far as what consistutes a "Chapter" - ? Is it going by the navpoints? I wanted all the subheaders in my TOC - but NOT for each to be counted as a whole "Chapter" by iBooks - what do I need to do to get this to work properly?!

Thanks so much for any help...

- Jacki
jackibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Not really a Sigil question, since this is iBooks specific. I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum that you can add some iBooks specific coding to deal with this.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
jackibar
Enthusiast

Thanks - yes, I realize this is more an iBooks than a Sigil question but was hoping someone else might have run across the same issue and know what iBooks is "expecting" for chapter breaks...!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
jackibar
Enthusiast

Okay, now I do have a Sigil-specific question to go along with this! When you choose "Generate TOC" - is that what creates the ncx file? And if I were to edit the ncx file after-the-fact, would that affect my TOC? I'm thinking the "problem" is something to do with the navpoints and the way they are being nested in the ncx file... I would like my subheaders in the TOC itself so people can look up things in detail - but I don't want each little subheader to be included in the feature that Kindle's 5-way button uses to skip to the next "chapter" - that would be way too many.

Is there any way to do this?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yes and yes. Sigil uses the header tags to build up the TOC/ncx file. The Kindle uses a HTML TOC, which you can also generate with Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert