Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Battery Drain KT

Since I've had my KT - about 3 months - I've noticed the battery runs down after about 15 hours. What I've noticed now is that even when it's switched
off, and the wifi is off too, the battery loses some power. Is this normal?

I'm trying to find reasons not to get an exchange from the shop where I bought it as I feel it's too much of a bother, and it's no huge deal to recharge the
battery, but it just seems odd it should drain when powered off.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I cant Answer your Question on the KT BUT I just have to ask since our Names [nicknames that is are the same LOL]

I am Katie1 I actually using my corgi Katies name LOL How about you?

Sorry to interupt! Cant resist!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
Since I've had my KT - about 3 months - I've noticed the battery runs down after about 15 hours. What I've noticed now is that even when it's switched

I'm trying to find reasons not to get an exchange from the shop where I bought it as I feel it's too much of a bother, and it's no huge deal to recharge the
battery, but it just seems odd it should drain when powered off.
Kobo claims that the battery is good for a month at 1/2 hour per day, which is about 15 hours.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Still it is not supposed to drain after 15 hours only. That is barely more than the Ipad's battery range. With fairly intense reading and light used half the time, my Glo went on for 3 weeks before having to recharge it.
Your battery may be defective, I'd go to the store and inquire about it if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Kobo claims that the battery is good for a month at 1/2 hour per day, which is about 15 hours.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
myanswer would be "maybe normal."

there are a lot of things that affect battery life. turning it on requires a fair bit of battery charge. so if you power it on from powered off to reading even once a day, you'll notice a battery drain.

the size of the books you read also affects battery performance. so, a smallish 200kb epub isn't a big drain, but at least one book in my libraryis 25MB -- that drains it fast (lots of photos). a lot of magazines seem to also be huge files for the same reason.

also, if it's in sleep mode, not powered off, there will be a drain.

when you say you get 15 hours, i take it that means 15 hours of reading, plus occasionally powering on/off?

that's probably on the shorter side of what's to be expected, so maybe check the size of files you're reading first.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes that's about 15 hours of reading. I don't use sleep mode though, I always switch it off when I'm finished.

Oh well in that case it's about norm I guess. As I said it's no big deal to recharge it I was just wondering.

Katie1 Yes I've noticed we have similar nicknames. Mine is actually Kate l (as in ell) as my surname begins with L, but my given name is Kate. Good job we've got different dogs for our avis, yours is cute.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Using SD card will drain battery a little faster.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Katel,

If you're wondering why you lose power even when WiFi is off and the unit is "off", the answer is that all rechargeable batteries have some self discharge and that most modern microcontroller or microprocessor based devices don't really turn off by disconnecting a battery.

You can sometimes gauge how good an electronic design is based on what it continues to do while powered down, and how minimal an effect the powered down condition has beyond the expected self discharge of the batteries. Of course, you have to allow for different levels of activity like those necessary to maintain a clock or look for an input or a remote control signal to turn the device back "on." Different devices require different processes to be maintained in the background while in sleep or "powered down" modes.

They power down into low current power saving modes whereby the processor can still keep track of some inputs -like the momentary switch that is used to turn them back on. The tipoff is whenever a device employs a switch that only has to actuated momentarily to activate the device. Older devices employed either sliding switches or locking momentary or click on/off switches that physically held a position once actuated and actually removed power from the electronics.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
I find I get much better battery life by only putting my KT into sleep mode when not in use. I find that powering it off and back on again drains the battery much quicker.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
You do realize sleep mode only lasts up to 60 minutes and then the Kobo automatically powers down unless you wake it and sleep it or let it sleep again... at least with 2.1.5 firmware.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No.... I believe that it depends totally on the time period you have specified in the POWER setting in preferences; 5 / 10 / 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 minutes or never.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
Mine is set to never turn off automatically, isn't that the default setting?

I just checked, I think I recharged my kobo 2-3 days ago, which means I've read a good 10-15 hours. Battery is on 85%. The only time I've seen it go down any faster is when I was reading one book in particular and page turns were as slow as with the 2.0 firmware...
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No.... I believe that it depends totally on the time period you have specified in the POWER setting in preferences; 5 / 10 / 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 minutes or never.
IIRC, some people with branded Kobos (through FNAC I think... or maybe the Kobo With Benefits Special Offers) didn't have the Never option.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
True.. I forgot that.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
RoGuE_StreaK
RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
I find I get much better battery life by only putting my KT into sleep mode when not in use. I find that powering it off and back on again drains the battery much quicker.
Weird, maybe it depends on how often you are doing this? Roughly speaking, I read for about 3/4 of an hour on both the morning and evening commute, when I initially used Sleep (quicker startup) I got maybe a week out of the battery, when I changed to using Power Off between times I now get about a month.
I've just started taking to hitting the power switch to start the power-up sequence when I start walking to the train, that way it's either ready to go or in Sleep and quickly revived.
RoGuE_StreaK is offline   Reply With Quote