Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
J_Leno
Четолюбец
J_Leno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 BC
I'm looking for a e-reader ... any suggestions? :)

So, i've been reading through these lovely forums dedicated to the reading-in-motion or mobile reading and i've found answers to many questions and many other questions have popped up while reading...

In conclusion i am at square 1 - which one should i buy?

I've got a couple of ideas but let me say you what exactly am i expecting from such a device:

1 - I suppose i'll be using .pdf and .doc, .txt, .rtf mostly . I have a MP3-player so the sound-producing capabilities won't be a plus for me or a decisive characteristic

2 - The size of the screen isn't something that bothers me. Larger would be nicer but harder to find the device a perfect place to keep it while travelling.

3 - For now i'm not that much of a traveler but i wouldn't want to recharge my reader every day. A better battery would be nicer with both USB and AC/DC connector ways to recharge the battery.

4 - I'm not a freak about latest stuff or technologies but i like to invest in long-term devices that would worth the money i give for them. So i'm trying to research the best i can. My budget isn't that big in other words, but i could take a big step in paying a lot of money for a device which is a bonus but not as cant-live-without as food for example :P

5 - I've started my research with Sony's Portable Reader (it got my attention a year ago) and i think for the time it's a good option although i'm not sure about some of it's features like .jpg viewing (an option for the manga fans? what's the point in viewing a black&white image?) , AC connector available as a bonus of some kind and for example the battery stand-still situation i've read about in some other threads...

6 - One of the major reasons i haven't bought a Sony already (although i was very eager to do it) was the thing it's only available for the US and i live in Bulgaria which is quite distant...

7 - No cyrillic support for the Sony (don't know about other devices) and need for hacks to read in my native language... (Russian experts have already done that)

I'm waiting for some suggestions (without the iRex iLiad - too expensive for me) i hope i'll find them useful. And another question - would it be a big loss to buy a little cheaper PRS-500 instead of 300$ PRS-505? (if i find a way to get my hands to one)...

I'm not sure if i had made it clear enough about my needs so i'll add this:

i read books in .doc and .txt, .rtf formats and some textbooks that are .pdf format and i'm not that sure which device can display correctly a two-page vertically rotated with many complicated graphics on it textbooks... can a mobile reader rotate and resize/cut/divide such a .pdf files because it would be crucial to not see something ...

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long and chaotic text i've just written
J_Leno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
It sounds like you want the Iliad at the Sony price. That doesn't seem to be an option yet, perhaps in a year if volumes increase and the price of the display comes down you will see something on the market that fits both your requirements and your budget.

--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
J_Leno
Четолюбец

Nah, the iLiad is too proffessional looking in my eyes and i need a device to read without carrying many books with me and a good pdf reading capabilities because some of my textbooks are scanned...

The question is: is Sony suitable for my needs or is there even a better solution? I've seen some ebookwise models but i wasn't sure if it would suit me and it wouldn't be just a cheaper and less satisfying option for me...
Old 11-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
J_Leno
Четолюбец

And as i saw around the forums there are some converting tools that will allow me to make my precious books to the Sony format (or other device's format) , right? I just don't want to buy one of these and end up writing (hehe or trying to) my own software for conversion...
Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Bookeen CyBook will handle Cyrillic fonts - that might be worth a look.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
J_Leno
Четолюбец

Yes, but so does Sony... the hacks thing isn't a problem for me.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I think you should definitely buy one of those e-ink devices.

Sony Reader is a good choice if you know somebody who is visiting USA and would be willing to bring one for you. That would also be the cheapest option. There is hack for Reader PRS500 to display Azbuka. It should not be difficult to adapt the hack for cyrilic.

Then there is Booken Gen3. It is available in European Union. Good for you. The only disadvantage is the price (when comparing with Sony Reader)

There is a version of e-ink device (Hanlin?) that is available in Russia. That is much closer to you than USA. The device is also more likely to display Cyrilyc.

There is also walkbook.
www.walkbook.net They sell rebranded e-ink readers. Their main operation is in Turkey. Just acros the border for you ;-)
http://www.walkbook.net/index_en.php
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
J_Leno
Четолюбец

i just checked that walkbook and i'm not very excited about going to Turkey for a 328 Euro device... which looks kinda childish if you ask me... And i don't want to be offensive but Turkey is going to start a war with Northern Iraq... there are less lethal ways to get my hands on a e-reader device...

Although about the idea of a friend going to USA a buy one for me: isn't there a chance of damaged device and how could i return it then ... ?

---edit - after reading about the cybook gen3---

I have to admit the CYBGEN310BS doesn't look bad at all...
Are there cyrillic fonts for it? Major problems with it?... May be i should reconsider my decision...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Leno View Post
i just checked that walkbook and i'm not very excited about going to Turkey for a 328 Euro device... which looks kinda childish if you ask me... And i don't want to be offensive but Turkey is going to start a war with Northern Iraq... there are less lethal ways to get my hands on a e-reader device...

Although about the idea of a friend going to USA a buy one for me: isn't there a chance of damaged device and how could i return it then ... ?

Are there cyrillic fonts for it? Major problems with it?... May be i should reconsider my decision...

If you can find TrueType fonts in Cyrillic, you can install them on your Cybook. Thus, if your Mobi or HTML ebook uses Cyrillic language, you should be able to read them and select from a range of Cyrillic fonts.

I've just moved several of my favorite TT fonts from my PC (sorry, they're English-language) and use them instead of the Bookeen-supplied fonts.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

The Walkbook is a rebranded Hanlin device. Cybook or Hanlin would be a good choice but Sony would not, based on where you live.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
J_Leno
Четолюбец

I've read that other people had the same problem - weather to buy the more expensive Cybook or buy the Sony with lots of twists and no warranty and a few bucks less but... to tell you the truth if they are pretty much the same (the Cybook and the Sony readers) with slight advantages for the Cybook, may be it is the better choice although those 295Euros + 53 Euros for shipping make 348 Euros... that is shipping to Bulgaria, which kind of surprise of the high price but... aren't there another supplier ?

Can you tell me ... i seem to have difficulties finding this Cybook Gen 3 in other selling/buying sites...
Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I've read that other people had the same problem - weather to buy the more expensive Cybook or buy the Sony with lots of twists and no warranty and a few bucks less but... to tell you the truth if they are pretty much the same (the Cybook and the Sony readers) with slight advantages for the Cybook, may be it is the better choice although those 295Euros + 53 Euros for shipping make 348 Euros... that is shipping to Bulgaria, which kind of surprise of the high price but... aren't there another supplier ?

Can you tell me ... i seem to have difficulties finding this Cybook Gen 3 in other selling/buying sites...

Right now the Bookeen site is the sole source. And probably will be for some time for European customers. Still, if you don't want to be limited to Sony's ebook format, the Cybook is the way to go. Any Mobipocket-format-selling website will be able to sell you plenty of ebook titles.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
i just checked that walkbook and i'm not very excited about going to Turkey for a 328 Euro device... which looks kinda childish if you ask me
The idea was that shipping from Turkey might be less expensive.
Also you are more likely to find somebody who travels to Turkey, or has a friend / family there.

I have acquired my Reader by asking a friend to purchase it for me on her way from USA. She transported it in her on-board luggage. That is THE cheapest way of how to get a new e-ink device here in Europe.
I still have nightmares that something bad happens to my Reader and I need to send it for warranty repair
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
J_Leno
Четолюбец

Turkey is a country that has nothing in common with me... no friends/ no family there...
I'd better order it like a human and have a warranty and all because i'm kinda low on luck and i'm positive that i'll get a damaged reader...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Right now the Bookeen site is the sole source. And probably will be for some time for European customers. Still, if you don't want to be limited to Sony's ebook format, the Cybook is the way to go. Any Mobipocket-format-selling website will be able to sell you plenty of ebook titles.

Derek
At sometimes higher prices too.

The thing is, the conversion tools we have available to convert content into LRF makes the fact that LRF is not Mobi format a no-brainer. It makes converting content to LRF trivial. Just get MS Reader format, strip the DRM and lit2lrf will do the conversion for you no hassle and you have an LRF with no DRM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote