Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
santimo
santimo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for a durable reader

Hi, first, sorry for my english
I am looking for advice on getting an ereader and it's durability is one of the issues.
I live in argentina so i can not use the warranty because shipping does not get here.
I have bough a 1st edition nook when a friend travelled to the usa and it got frozen(apparently is a common issue), I tried all the troubleshooting guides I found on the internet but nothing worked.
Another friend is coming from the USA and I want to get another reader because i'm missing it, but I am looking for the one that has less troubles of this kind since warranty is not an option
I really like the touchscreen nook but after the problems i had with the other one i don't want to have the same problems
So, do you think there is a more robust reader?
Thank you a lot
santimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If you still have the nook, I suggest posting to the nook subforum here with your issues. Unless your screen is broken, someone should be able to assist you to get it working again.

Any device is apt to crash now and again. I've had three Kindles, a nook, two Sonys and now a Boox M90, and they've all frozen at some point. The Boox is the only one that I've had real problems getting to start up again.

If I were you, I'd go with a Kindle. I'd also suggest a Sony, but there aren't any to be had right now. You didn't mention when your friend is going to be in the US, but if the new Sony is released by then, that would be a good choice.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
santimo
santimo began at the beginning.

Device: none
thank you very much.
i didn't kew very much about de new sony, i am going to search for some info.
i know that all the devices are able to fail, but maybe people who is very active in these forums has seen some fail more than others
santimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had a K1, K3, and DXG and none of them have locked up on me. My Mom has a DXG and she has never had it locked up. There are a lot of family members with Kindles and I have not heard of anyone having a problem. There was one screen failure with a K2 but Amazon replaced the device in a heart beat.

If Amazon sells the Kindle in Argentina, you will be covered by the warrenty and they do take care of devices across the globe.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote