Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Advice requested re: Nook Books.

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I'm curious about. I published my book ( free download ) through Smashwords on Christmas Eve last year but only got distribution channels running a few weeks ago.

To date, all of the reviews I have recieved, excepting one blog, have been on the Nook through Barnes and Noble. (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Tur...turing+evolved )

This surprises me quite a bit because I hadn't expected reviews to only turn up on one site.

Not having a Nook, I'm really looking for anyone who can help me understand why this is so?

Is there some kind of autoreview function on the nook which encourages readers to leave feedback or something like that? Or is the Nook just particularly easy for readers to do this?

I'm sure I'm getting readers from other places, eg, around 1000 downloads on Smashwords but zero Smashwords reviews. Good or bad.

If anyone can help enlighten me I'd be really appreciative -

Thanks
David
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Any reviews on B&N were made through an ordinary web browser, the same as would be used to leave a review on Smashwords. The NOOK does allow the user to give a star-rating to a book downloaded from B&N, but they can't write a review. It's not clear if the NOOK star-rating is sent back to B&N or not, so even that might not have any effect.

It might be just a fluke, or it could just be that B&N customers are more accustomed to writing reviews. I've noticed that most Smashwords titles get very few, if any, reviews on Smashwords... which is a shame; I try to review every Smashwords book that I finish and some that I don't.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Hi Doug,

Thanks for explaining how the NOOK system works.

I wonder if you might have actually identified something there too. Perhaps B&N customers are more accustomed to writing reviews. Another book site I go to there are no reviews, but my book is queued up with a lot of readers. Funny thing is that without exception, every single one is female. ( All my reviewers on B&N are male )

I wonder if perhaps there's a common thread like that with B&N? That it simply is that they are more likely to review a book than perhaps users of other e-readers.

Regardless though, thankyou for answering my question about the mechanism - it's very appreciated -

Regards
David
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote