Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
SandraMort
SandraMort began at the beginning.

Device: Craig
Some questions about the Craig epad

Your thread here convinced me to buy it. I had some questions, some or all of which may be appropriate for here, but I'm too tired to rewrite the post I put up at Brighthand. Feel free to ignore (or delete!) anything that isn't appropriate and let me know so I don't do it again. I'm REALLY excited about being able to listen to Audible on it, since we switched to Linux at home and didn't realize audible isn't compatible with it. I've got something like 200 audible books and my kids are used to listening to them every day!

Thanks!!!
-----------------------------------

I walked into CVS the day before yesterday and saw this gadget sitting on an endcap. I'd been saving my pennies for a Galaxy Tab but when I saw the price tag, I couldn't help being curious. The "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" cliche was on the top of my mind as I googled it. I wasn't surprised when I read that it's a POC out of the box but that if you root it, it can be a decent low end toy. I got the step by step directions to make it nice and easy, went out and picked it up.

I'm sure nobody will be surprised when my friend (a manager at CVS) said that he'd sold 5 and 4 were returned. Certainly I would like to upgrade to the Galaxy (or something nicer, even!) when I've got a bit more money, but this looks like it'll be worth using for a few months while I'm saving up.

I took it home, dh rooted it for me (I could have but he was on the pc working and did it while he was doing some coding) and then I got to play. I was able to install nook, kindle, audible, facebook and IMO chat software without a problem, along with some other interesting looking stuff that I can't recall offhand. Then I screwed up and set the "password" and was unable to reverse it, so I just wiped the thing and started over again.

Now I can't get anything to download, but I suspect the reason will be obvious once I've had a solid meal and the distractions are all asleep. In the meantime, some question.

1) I read a reference to hulu hacking. I'd really love hulu and/or netflix, but thought I'd have to make do with youtube. Is it possible?

2) VOIP. I see apps for it in the marketplace, plus there's google voice/talk, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'd like to be able to make calls from my google voice while hooked up to WIFI.

3) 3G. I see references to it, but can't seem to find a tower. Is that because it's just part of the OS and the hardware to support it just isn't there, or am I possibly overlooking something?

4) Headset. I went to the store and saw headphones that plug into the 3.5mm jacks, but the microphone has a separate plug, which there's no jack for. Would I be able to get a USB headset and use that for voip, presuming voip works to start with?

5) Keyboard. Can I hook up a USB keyboard to it?

6) HDMI. If I've got a cable, is there any reason I can't plug it into my pretty flat screen monitor?

7) I keep seeing references to a game called angry birds. I've also seen that people say it doesn't work for this. Any idea why?

8) Why doesn't a bluetooth dongle work to make it work with a bluetooth headset?

9) I went to Radio Shack and they couldn't figure out what kind of car charger I need. Any ideas? Will a usb car charger work for it? Or do I need to suck it up and get a power inverter for my car?

10) I'm very frugal. *ahem* Where's the best place to get cheap micro sd cards? I'd love to be able to carry movies around on them to entertain the short people.

11) I've already lost the stylus. Yes, yes, the first day. I was sitting on my bed and dropped it and it went poof. I'm currently using a broken plastic knitting needle. Do you know if the nintendo ds stylus will fit into the holder?

12) How do I get the Palm graffiti for it? I know I've seen references to it around but couldn't find the free version on the Marketplace. I used to love graffiti, back in my Palm days, and it would speed things up an awful lot to not have to "type" on that thing.

13) Are there any apps that work ESPECIALLY well or badly on this that I should be aware of?

14) If I have the nook *and* kindle apps, which is the better choice for getting a book to read? Is there any advantage to one over the other?

15) Is SWYPE available for it?

I know, I know. Too many questions, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Thank you SO much!!!
Sandra
SandraMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Did you ask your manager friend at CVS why those 4 out of 5 came back in returns? I bet the panel defect was the issue. Take a close look at your panel. Here I have 3 tablets made by 3 different companies.

See I see the same issue that I had with the prior. Funny a different state and different CVS upscale drug store and it still has the same issue. I bet all of them this way and most buyers are unaware of this issue with the panel.

Craig

Coby

Maylong

Not all these tablet support or are BT ready the only one above is the Maylong is BT, 3G, ADSL, Ethernet Ready.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Codyfender16
Codyfender16 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig E pad
help me please

hello everyone i am kinda new at the whole e pad thing so if neone could send me a step by step instructions on how to root the craig e pad i would greatly appreciate it thank you
Codyfender16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyfender16 View Post
hello everyone i am kinda new at the whole e pad thing so if neone could send me a step by step instructions on how to root the craig e pad i would greatly appreciate it thank you
TikaC has made a nice guide to upgrading or restoring the ROM on your device. Very highly recommended.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMort View Post

3) 3G. I see references to it, but can't seem to find a tower. Is that because it's just part of the OS and the hardware to support it just isn't there, or am I possibly overlooking something?

10) I'm very frugal. *ahem* Where's the best place to get cheap micro sd cards? I'd love to be able to carry movies around on them to entertain the short people.

11) I've already lost the stylus. Yes, yes, the first day. I was sitting on my bed and dropped it and it went poof. I'm currently using a broken plastic knitting needle. Do you know if the nintendo ds stylus will fit into the holder?
3 - I believe that with 3G, you ultimately have to have some kind of service plan in place from a wireless provider like Verizon, AT&T, etc. Unless you sign up for a contract with one of these places, the 3G wont do you much good.

10 - If you've got a Fry's local, that place usually has good prices for SD cards. If not, you can always find great deals at Amazon and Newegg. If shopping at Amazon, I would advise purchasing directly from Amazon and not their 3rd party merchants. I bought a couple really cheap SD cards that wound up being fakes (2.4GB on what was supposed to be an 8GB cards). Luckily, Amazon refunded the money.

11 - Not sure if it'll fit, honestly. Do you carry a pen with you everywhere? I usually have at least one in my pocket or backpack. And, as such, I have a full-sized pen stylus with them for use with my DSi, and for when I used a Palm Pilot. I know, it's not really answering the question, but rather an alternative. I hate using those tiny stylus....styluses? Styli?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert