Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
radi0j0hn
radi0j0hn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
PRS-500 firmware upgrade..what do I lose?

I have not upgraded my unit, as I am concerned that I will lose the ability to read some other format(s). Anybody done the deed and can tell me what is gained and lost? TIA
radi0j0hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Do it, you lose nothing and gain a lot.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
radi0j0hn
radi0j0hn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
And I just learned why Calibre won't work!

Thanks! That's what I needed to know!
radi0j0hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
You won't be able to use any of the hacks anyone has developed, and the only major feature you get is it will (kind of) read epub files. My complaint with their implementation of epub is that it does not do fully justified text (can't stand the ragged right margins).

If you have a lot of books you've bought from Sony in the lrx format, or intend to buy a lot of books from Sony, and not strip the DRM, then you'd want the upgrade.

If you don't have a lot of books you've bought from Sony, and want to continue to reformat your books to lrf so they display nicely, then there's no reason to upgrade.

Just my $.02.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Updated/Clarified post 26 April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi0j0hn View Post
I have not upgraded my unit, as I am concerned that I will lose the ability to read some other format(s). Anybody done the deed and can tell me what is gained and lost? TIA
You lose the ability to view LRX files (all other formats including LRF are still supported). If you have a bunch of LRX books you will have to re-download them from Sony in the new ePub format. The new ePub books you download will be viewed on your reader as left justified. LRF books will still show as full justification.

You lose any hacks that you may have installed on your device with no assurance that those hacks will ever be available for the new firmware.

You gain the ability to read regular ePub format ebooks and read Adobe Digital Editions DRM'd ePubs.

You gain the ability to use the Overdrive ebook lending that an increasing amount of local libraries make available.

You gain the ability to buy books from many stores beside Sony. Any ebook store that sells books in the ADE ePub format will now be an option. Stores like BooksonBoard, Fictionwise, Kobo etc...

You gain the ability to treat your 500 as any other external USB drive without the need of additional drivers. For Apple OS X users this means you gain current support for your upgraded device from Calibre. Currently Apple OS X users are limited to version 0.6.29.

You gain (subjectively) increased resale value for your device should that be an option in the future.

You gain the ability to delete a book from your device without connecting it to your computer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-26-2010 at 06:50 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

The reader shows up as a removable drive now so no drivers are needed. It has the ability to delete books too.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
My understanding is that if you upgrade, you also LOSE a lot of battery life. Between that and losing the hacks (love the clock, joystick page turn, etc.) I don't think I'll upgrade.

Scott_T: Bad/wrong answer!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
My understanding is that if you upgrade, you also LOSE a lot of battery life.
The battery life issue has been resolved.

Sony offered everyone who had previously upgraded a chance to do it again on their dime to fix their initial "battery life" issue from the first upgrade.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Scott_T
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
My understanding is that if you upgrade, you also LOSE a lot of battery life. Between that and losing the hacks (love the clock, joystick page turn, etc.) I don't think I'll upgrade.

Scott_T: Bad/wrong answer!
They fixed the battery life problem. I wont twist your arm.
I kind of miss the joystick page turn but being able to read epubs, no drivers needed, etc etc are all more than worth that.