Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Can't communicate with device

Ever since I bought my Sony 650 reader many months ago I've used calibre to save ebooks to an SD card as my main storage, with only a few ebooks stored on the Sony's main 'memory'.

I have over 250 ebooks on the card, and can still read ebooks from the card.

But I can no longer save ebooks to the card; I get a message to the effect that calibre can no longer communicate with the device, and this printout

calibre, version 0.8.10
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'M:\\Gaughran, David'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 401, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 242, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1142, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'M:\\Gaughran, David'

I can still save books to the main memory, and can read different books from the main memory and the card.

I took the SD card out of the Sony reader and file checked it using Windows 7, which said there was no damage, and have defragmented the card. But I still can't save to the card.

The only thing I have done differently before having this problem was to delete three or four ebooks directly from the reader.

Is the problem likely to be with the card, or with the Sony reader? What can I do to fix it?

If the card is faulty is there any way to bulk copy some of the ebooks from the calibre library to a new card? Or is there a way to bulk copy ebooks from this card to the main memory?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Is the problem likely to be with the card, or with the Sony reader? What can I do to fix it?

If the card is faulty is there any way to bulk copy some of the ebooks from the calibre library to a new card? Or is there a way to bulk copy ebooks from this card to the main memory?
You can easily highlight multiple books in the library and send the batch back to the card. First though you should reformat the the card as FAT32.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ever since I bought my Sony 650 reader many months ago I've used calibre to save ebooks to an SD card as my main storage, with only a few ebooks stored on the Sony's main 'memory'.

I have over 250 ebooks on the card, and can still read ebooks from the card.

But I can no longer save ebooks to the card; I get a message to the effect that calibre can no longer communicate with the device, and this printout

calibre, version 0.8.10
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'M:\\Gaughran, David'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 401, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 242, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1142, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: 'M:\\Gaughran, David'

I can still save books to the main memory, and can read different books from the main memory and the card.

I took the SD card out of the Sony reader and file checked it using Windows 7, which said there was no damage, and have defragmented the card. But I still can't save to the card.

The only thing I have done differently before having this problem was to delete three or four ebooks directly from the reader.

Are you sure the card is not write protected?
Another . Is the folder being created in the 'root' directory on the card. FAT has a limited number of folders at root. You may have exceeded the count.
I got around that by having the Template create folders: Authors_G, Authors_W...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Are you sure the card is not write protected?
If he truly defragged it then it isn't write protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Another . Is the folder being created in the 'root' directory on the card. FAT has a limited number of folders at root.
My idea exactly that's why I suggested he reformat as FAT32 to remove the FAT16 limit of the root directory.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for your help.

After I posted I thought of another test I could do to find out where the problem lay, which was to format another SD card and see if I could save books from the library to this card. I can, so I guess that there must be something wrong with the original card even though Windows 7 file check said there was nothing wrong with it and I was able to defrag it.

I then copied most of the books from the calibre library to the new card.

But now I have another problem; the books sort by Author first name, not by Author LN. I know they were sorted on the old card by Author LN, and I know I have not changed any calibre settings. But I don't remember how I set it up before to sort by Author LN.

Can I get calibre to sort on the SD card by Author LN? If so, how?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert