Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Calibre...DVD or CD?

I am sure this is a dumb question but does it matter whether you burn books to CD or DVD from Calibre and do you have to do them one at a time. Thanks for your patience. Be nice.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I don't know. Why don't you try it and see what happens?

You might get a better response on the Calibre forum.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

"I don't know. Why don't you try it and see what happens?"

Because I don't want to *** it up. I thought someone might just say "CD" or "DVD".

"You might get a better response on the Calibre forum"

I didn't know there was a Calibre forum. Will check that out. Thank you.

Last edited by dreams; 08-29-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: profanity removed by MR moderation team
Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I am sure this is a dumb question but does it matter whether you burn books to CD or DVD from Calibre and do you have to do them one at a time. Thanks for your patience. Be nice.
K, when you configure calibre you point the output to the directory on
your hard drive. That directory contains copy of converted file and the
convert itself. Nothing stops you from making new copy of epubs to
another directory and putting them to cd/dvd. There is no hidden ghost
in this machine.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
wrenn1
Addict

I have no idea what you just said. I may be making it more complicated than I have to.

When I put something into Calibre I just drag it to the desktop icon but you made my pea brain open up a bit. I will burn the folder I am dragging from instead of using the 'save to disc' option on Calibre. :-)
It really is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks so much for your help and patience.
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Maybe it would help to say that "save to disc" in Calibre just means "save to your designated drive"? It can be your hard drive, a flash drive, a removable drive...

It really isn't designed for creating CDs or DVDs - even though most of us are probably more used to thinking of those as discs than our various drives.

I didn't understand your question at first because I've been using Calibre for so long that I didn't associate "save to disc" to burning a CD or DVD.

HTH
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
does it matter whether you burn books to CD or DVD from Calibre and do you have to do them one at a time.
To be fair to the "raging hamster" there are actually two questions here that lack certain necessary information to provide an informed response. So, HamsterRage's "I don't know" and "why not try" answers are quite valid.

Without installing Calibre to be 100% sure I would say that Calibre itself does not burn CDs or DVDs directly but would leave that to the underlying operating system.

If the OS is Windows: I seem to recall that Windows accumulates files written to the CD or DVD in a temporary storage area until committed to the disc via an explicit close session. Even if my mental model differs from the implementation model the apparent results are the same.

With Windows (and in this case) yes you can write to either CD or DVD and either one file or multiple files at a time just as you would a flash or hard drive.

I have never tried to write piecemeal to a a Mac or Linux CD/DVD drive---preferring instead to write my data files as a block from appropriate burning software---so I can't tell you how those OSes deal with things.

"Strike Out: Reading Unedited Text"
Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
wrenn1
Addict

You're right. I think people who just learn the basics to survive have an entirely different language.

I did get help here though and I really appreciate it. I didn't realize 'save to disc' meant anything other than burn a CD so I am happy to have learned something new once again.

Have a great day and thank you again.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I did get help here though and I really appreciate it. I didn't realize 'save to disc' meant anything other than burn a CD so I am happy to have learned something new once again.
"Save to disk" means exactly what it says: extract this book from Calibre and save it as a file on your disk.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Save to disk" means exactly what it says: extract this book from Calibre and save it as a file on your disk.
I don't know if this is a case of a difference between English and American English, or if it's just a case of my working in a networked environment too long, but I'm not used to hearing/thinking "disk" in reference to anything but removable media (floppy disk[ette], compact disc, etc).

I tend to think of my computer as having a hard "drive" or even a portable hard "drive" for a removable drive that's larger than a couple of GB.

Again, that could be because at work I use various shared network drives and seldom use my "C drive"...but that's why I thought I could understand the OP's confusion.

So "save to disk" - to me - gets translated internally to "save to hard drive".

Is it possible this is another "across the pond" confusion in terms?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could well be right. We call them "hard disks".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Pretty simple thing becomes a bit complicated.
First, calibre copies i.e. pdf file to the directory that one
named as the output directory, when configured for the
first time. Then it converts whatever to epub in the same
directory. Nothing more, nothing less. If one wants to
burn epubs to cd/dvd, nothing might stop him/her. I
think it is a mess of files and it is better to store resul-
ting epubs to separate directory, followed by removal
of content in calibre. In other instance, if one uses those
files and makes calibre the app to put them to the reader?
Fine again. Since the question was about making cd/dvd,
I think there is nothing to be said more.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
"I don't know. Why don't you try it and see what happens?"

Because I don't want to *** it up. I thought someone might just say "CD" or "DVD".

"You might get a better response on the Calibre forum"

I didn't know there was a Calibre forum. Will check that out. Thank you.
I wasn't trying to be unhelpful. My thought was that the O/S probably makes the two devices equivalent to most software, and the worst case scenario means you blow $0.50 on a disc. Really, it would take about 5 minutes to test, where waiting for an expert (especially in the wrong forum) could take days.

My apologies if I came across snarky. That wasn't the intent.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote