Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Blackberry Tablet

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/news/Bla...ad/284223.html

Really nothing to add.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Rumored to be smaller and more compact kills it for me as I'm wanting something with a screen an inch or two bigger than the iPad.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Rumored to be smaller and more compact kills it for me as I'm wanting something with a screen an inch or two bigger than the iPad.
Plus I didn't like the Blackberry Storm and how it worked, and it sounds they may go that way.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
hehe... you need to really like the BB os to get that thing
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Yeah. "Smaller" doesn't make much sense - it will just be fighting it out with the cheap Chinese tablets which seem to be coming out of the woodwork.

"Bigger" is what I am hoping for as well. The closer to 11", the better.

Then I can see my PDFs in their full glory.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately will be waiting a bit on that probably. Most tablets are probably going to be using small netbook screens.

So they'll be small and widescreen for the most part, neither of which are great for working with A4 PDFs.

Maybe Google's Tablet will get it right since they're going after Newspapers etc. like Apple did. So that has a better chance of a 4:3 screen and 10-11". Or so I'm hoping!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This will probably take a while to produce and wont be as big as the Ipad
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Given these rumours aren't suggesting this would appear before 2011, it is far enough away that when it doesn't show up the rumour sites can say it got cancelled rather than admitting they randomly made some shit up based on rim having ordered a batch of larger screens that could easily be intended for others uses e.g. something in-car since they have recently bought qnx.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Really, I am so glad you mentioned that since we had no idea that was how you felt.

Getting away from mocking you for a bit, what about the recently renamed wetab, while it is widescreen it is a larger 11.6" screen with a 1366x768 resolution.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard

Really no need for the mocking. My posts are going to be repetitive as the only thing I have any interest on discussing on this site are tablets as I don't give a crap about e-readers any more. And I have very specific needs in mind on that front. Always the ignore function if you get tired of hearing me talk about my tablet needs.

Anyway....Wetab (formerly WePad) has some promise.

I'm not big on the wide screen ratio though--great for video and web surfing, but those wouldn't be my primary uses.

I find I use my girlfriend's iPad a lot more in portrait orientation than landscape as I'm mostly reading, and most apps are more intuitive to use in that orientation.

So I prefer something closer to a 4:3 screen ratio that's wider in portrait mode to better handle letter sized documents (my main use for a tablet) and to just be mainly used in portrait orientation for apps etc.

Sizewise the Skiff reader has it right--so I'm basically waiting for a device around that size/screen ratio, but with a nice LCD touch screen and full tablet features.