Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
luck0602
luck0602 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Error in the Fetch News

In the 'Fetch News', I came across an error message like this in the working progress 97% or 98%.

('UnicodeDecodeError', u"'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xbc in position 2: ordinal not in range(128)"):
Failed to perform job: Fetch news from The Economist
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 679, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 652, in work
File "D:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\feeds \convert_from.py", line 42, in main
File "D:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\web\feeds\main.p y", line 134, in run_recipe
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 472, in download
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 645, in build_index
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 537, in feed2index
File "calibre\utils\genshi\core.pyo", line 179, in render
File "calibre\utils\genshi\output.pyo", line 60, in encode
File "calibre\utils\genshi\output.pyo", line 210, in __call__
File "calibre\utils\genshi\output.pyo", line 753, in __call__
File "calibre\utils\genshi\output.pyo", line 592, in __call__
File "calibre\utils\genshi\output.pyo", line 710, in __call__
File "calibre\utils\genshi\core.pyo", line 494, in escape
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xbc in position 2: ordinal not in range(128)
Log:
INFO: Downloading

DEBUG: Fetching http://www.economist.com/world/Print...ry_id=11671645

It's so long that I can't copy it here.

I wonder why its error message appears in the program.
luck0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BUMP!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
TheDude
TheDude began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have the same problem. It seems to be a problem with decoding some characters in the newsfeed. For me it is usually the 0x9a character. An easy solution would be to set the unicode decoding errors to "replace"/"ignore" instead of "strict". The fetch process would just skip the problematic character. But that has to be changed somewhere in the code, which is beyond my skills/knowledge.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid it's not that simple, which is why I haven't fixed it yet....it's on my TODO list when I get a block of time to look at it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I've been having problems too, however I cannot bring up the list of jobs by clicking. I usually have no idea whats happening when fetching as it is anyway, however this makes things worse.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open a terminal and type
Code:
feeds2lrf --dedug "Newsweek"
to see the output when fetching NEwsweek for example.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
TheDude

Is there a way to change the standard News recipes? It would be nice if the user can make some changes in the way the fetched output looks like. Could be also very nice to just copy an existing recipe and use/adapt it for another similar news source.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Read the user manual there a long section on creating custom recipes.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
TheDude

Yes, I read the menu. What I wanted to ask is if you can change the standard ones. Not write new ones from scratch, just change some parts of the fetching.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_...urther-reading

There's a link to the source code of the built-in recipes. Modify away.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
TheDude

Thanks for the info, did not see that section before Started doing some recipes (and started to really appreciate how powerful Calibre is keep up the good work ).
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
ntcareson
ntcareson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Can I get help on this. I'm not sure if its been discussed (but I can't seem to find it anywhere here)...

I tried to fetch Google Reader but keep getting zero data from the fetch. The process complete in Calibre but it shows no content just the headings.

Thanks Kovidgoyal! Your program rocks!
ntcareson is offline   Reply With Quote