Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #46
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Kevin, that must be for the older stock firmware. The newer stock firmware versions since Google Play was added all have the back button, recent drawer, and easy access to all system settings via the notification center.

--Pat
My HD+ has the latest firmware on it and it does not have the same functionality with the back button, multi-tasking or system settings as my HD which is running straight android.
But even if I didn't want that change, I would definitely have to go with a different launcher - the stock Nook look seems geared toward 4 year olds with its kitschy icons.

Karen
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
But even if I didn't want that change, I would definitely have to go with a different launcher - the stock Nook look seems geared toward 4 year olds with its kitschy icons.
+1

Just to get rid of it, I would have rooted ...
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've been using CM 10.1 for a few days on the road, and I stillcan'tsay with any conviction that it's superior to stock. It's better looking, but it still seems less stable. I haven't had reboots, but I've had plenty of app crashing, especially Chrome. The multitasking interface is the most significant advantage for CM, but in practice having ADW Ex app catalogs in my dockbar on stock worked just as well. I like that the buttons, quick settings and notifications are less kitschy, but again, the kitschy stock stuff got the job done.

Stock has its shortcomings, too, but all in all the two systems break even for my purposes, making stock less trouble by default.
I bought a Root My Nook card.. slowed my HD+ Down.. I now use Go Launcher.. very nice.. smoooth compared to Root card and much FASTER.. Just my experience however..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #49
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
My HD+ has the latest firmware on it and it does not have the same functionality with the back button, multi-tasking or system settings as my HD which is running straight android.
I bought an HD+ but it has not arrived yet so I don't know if it is different from the stock firmware on my HD. But stock on the HD has the software back button which shows up when you are in an app, a recent drawer, and easy access to ALL system settings via the drop down notification center. The recent drawer lets you switch easily between all recent apps. Are you saying the HD+ stock firmware lacks all of that? I will be really disappointed if that is the case.

Quote:

The stock B&N GUI is highly customizable. I put on my own wallpaper, and you can make the big horsey carousel on the home page totally disappear, which is what I did.

What "kitschy" icons are you talking about? The nav buttons on my device are white (dropout) which look pretty classy, IMO. As far as the other icons, I have customized all of mine which show up on the screens and aren't in folders by using Play apps. All my folder icons also have customized images.

The only thing I can't change that I don't care for is the "Your Nook Today" button on the main home page, but it doesn't really bother me all that much either. If it did, I'd use an alternate launcher.

Believe me, I'm really picky about GUIs. That's why I would hesitate to ever buy another iOS device again. Main problem with iOS products is you can't easily customize anything -- except for the wallpaper -- without jailbreaking. And I just hate the look of iOS7. Talk about a GUI geared towards kiddies!! Those flat sherbet-colored icons would make me feel ill every time I looked at them. (Sorry if there are any big Apple fans here, but that is how I truly feel.)

If I had iOS7 I would feel the need to jailbreak it to get another GUI. But I find the stock HD/HD+ GUI so customizable that I didn't even put an alternate launcher on it, let alone another ROM.

So, from a functional standpoint, there is very little that pure android can do that the stock HD/HD+ can't do either natively or with a widget or Play store add-on. From a GUI perspective, the same thing goes with a few exceptions such as the "Nook Today" button I mentioned. And it's not worth it to me to address those exceptions with a new ROM, because then I'd lose some of the things I like about the native B&N firmware -- such as the catalogs, scrapbooks, native reader (which I like for PDFs) and book recommendations. Yes, I actually like the way B&N suggests similar books to me based on what's already in my library. So the tradeoffs aren't big enough for me to put on a new ROM.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
+1

Just to get rid of it, I would have rooted ...
Rooting doesn't change the GUI or the main functionality of the stock OS. All it does is give the user (and some third-party apps) increased access to system files that they ordinarily wouldn't have.

I have kept the stock B&N firmware on my HD, but I have rooted it. I have also flashed a mod which allows sideloading.

There is a big misconception about what "rooting" really is, and many people incorrectly use the term when they are really talking about installing a new ROM.

--Pat
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #51
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Rooting doesn't change the GUI or the main functionality of the stock OS. All it does is give the user (and some third-party apps) increased access to system files that they ordinarily wouldn't have.
I know.

What I meant is I would have rooted just to be able to install another launcher, had BN not opened up access to Google Play store or allowed use of another launcher.

Even with the Nova launcher which I am using, I found the inconsistency of navigation of the stock ROM very annoying, e.g., the soft back button is not always present ...

Last edited by livramax; 10-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #52
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
I bought an HD+ but it has not arrived yet so I don't know if it is different from the stock firmware on my HD. But stock on the HD has the software back button which shows up when you are in an app, a recent drawer, and easy access to ALL system settings via the drop down notification center. The recent drawer lets you switch easily between all recent apps. Are you saying the HD+ stock firmware lacks all of that? I will be really disappointed if that is the case.
Well, right now I have my HD+ open, running Nook stock (haven't done anything to it at all to customize) and my HD with android.

On my android screen for settings I have tabs for
Wireless & Networks
Interface, including launcher, lockscreen, themes, and system, all of which have numerous options within them
Device, with buttons for sound, display, storage, apps and battery, again each has multiple things within each button
Personal - Profiles (Night, home, silent, work), Location access, security, language & input, backup & reset
Accounts -
System - date/time, accessibility,developer options, performance (can change clock speed, customize memory usage, etc), about tablet

On the HD+ native
I have
Wireless & bluetooth
General (screen, battery save mode, language, keyboard, etc)
apps -
accounts
backup settings
storage management which only tells me how much total is used, not by what and not really "managing" it (also, can't tell apps to move to sd or vice versa, whereas I can do that on android)
location services
device information

IOW, a lot of these settings are not really changeable items, just telling you what's what, compared to android. Now, maybe most people are fine with that and that is great. I just like a little more flexibility.

As for the recent drawer, when I tap that, all I get is the whole list of apps on my tablet, not only things I've just opened. With Android I can open 3-4 things and switch back and forth between them without closing out or backing out of the one I'm in. I am not sure what happens in the Nook mode - if you open, say Netflix and then use the drawer to access something else, is Netflix still running in the background or does it close? can't say I"ve tried it but I've just gotten used to the android way.

As for the kitschy icons I'm referring to the default green parrot and green apple that showed up on mine. I know they can be changed; I did it on my HD before I got the android card, but why do they even use such cheesy things to begin with unless they are aiming at kids? Or why not include some nice themes that are easily changeable? I've read on the regular B&N forums sometimes and find a lot of people have no idea how to customize their wallpaper or icons. And Nook doesn't make it easy to find IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great product on its own and improved greatly with Google play but I still want a bit more. I also like using Amazon's android app market, which you can't on the stock Nook AFAIK.

I have no idea how to get rid of the carousel; that would have been a big plus to me originally. I can't stand it on any of the readers. I prefer shelves or collections by tags (I began with a Sony e-reader which allowed collections from my Calibre tags and love that) I haven't used the native Nook reader much b/c I buy very little from B&N (buy very little anyway but more from Kobo or Amazon usually) and use Aldiko for epubs, or Overdrive for library books.

If I had not tried and gotten used to regular android on my HD already, I'd probably be fine with just using a better launcher and customizing the Nook more to my liking. It's just what I'm used to now.

And I highly agree with you on iOS - can't stand trying to adjust any settings on my kids' iPods - it is so tightly controlled.
Karen
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #53
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Well, right now I have my HD+ open, running Nook stock (haven't done anything to it at all to customize) and my HD with android.

On my android screen for settings I have tabs for
Wireless & Networks
Interface, including launcher, lockscreen, themes, and system, all of which have numerous options within them
Device, with buttons for sound, display, storage, apps and battery, again each has multiple things within each button
Personal - Profiles (Night, home, silent, work), Location access, security, language & input, backup & reset
Accounts -
System - date/time, accessibility,developer options, performance (can change clock speed, customize memory usage, etc), about tablet
Most of those settings are also available on the HD/HD+ stock -- at least the main ones. What I can see is different are themes (do you really use that?) different profiles for work, home etc. (but you can get that on stock with the Llama app); and changing clock speed (again, do you really use that?).

What exactly do you do with your HD and the custom ROM that you can't do with with HD+?

You do know that the stock HD/HD+ is running ICS 4.0.4 under the covers, don't you? So most of what you can do with a custom ROM, you can do with the stock OS, either natively or with a Play Store add-on.

Quote:
As for the recent drawer, when I tap that, all I get is the whole list of apps on my tablet, not only things I've just opened. With Android I can open 3-4 things and switch back and forth between them without closing out or backing out of the one I'm in. I am not sure what happens in the Nook mode - if you open, say Netflix and then use the drawer to access something else, is Netflix still running in the background or does it close?
The most recently accessed apps should be in the front in the Recent Drawer. And, yes, you can switch back and forth in the stock OS without losing your place in the various apps. I believe this is an android thing. It keeps the 3-4 most recently accessed apps running in the background always, unless you back out of them with the software back button.

Quote:
As for the kitschy icons I'm referring to the default green parrot and green apple that showed up on mine. I know they can be changed; I did it on my HD before I got the android card, but why do they even use such cheesy things to begin with unless they are aiming at kids?
I put my own icons there. They are there because the HD/HD+ are meant for multiple profiles, so just like Windows, it allows each user to have his or her own icon. It doesn't bother me because I use a custom icon.

Quote:
Or why not include some nice themes that are easily changeable? I've read on the regular B&N forums sometimes and find a lot of people have no idea how to customize their wallpaper or icons. And Nook doesn't make it easy to find IMO.
The wallpaper is easy enough to change. If you can't figure out how to do it from the interface alone, instructions are in the Nook's user manual. As for customizing the icons and folders, there are Android apps to do that for you. You just have to explore Google Play and android capabilities -- just as you would if you used a third-party launcher or put on a new ROM.

Quote:
I also like using Amazon's android app market, which you can't on the stock Nook AFAIK.
It's relatively easy to install the Amazon App store on the stock firmware, as long as you have the mod to allow sideloading (my stock Nook HD has the mod). I installed the Amazon App Store and use it for the app of the day all the time. See this thread, post #4, for how to do it. If you try it, note that in step 2, you should put in any app that is free at that time, instead of DTG, which was free just for that day.

Quote:
I have no idea how to get rid of the carousel; that would have been a big plus to me originally. I can't stand it on any of the readers.
Go to Home Settings and uncheck all the options under "Customize by showing only these content types." Then nothing shows up in the carousel. Occasionally a spare catalog that I've subscribed to will pop up, but then just press on it and remove it from the home page. The only caveat is that the area where the carousel should go is now "dead" space, meaning it is impervious to swipes and clicks. But I have gotten used to it and prefer it to having the clunky carousel show up.

Quote:
I prefer shelves or collections by tags (I began with a Sony e-reader which allowed collections from my Calibre tags and love that) I haven't used the native Nook reader much b/c I buy very little from B&N (buy very little anyway but more from Kobo or Amazon usually) and use Aldiko for epubs, or Overdrive for library books.
I use Calibre Companion and Mantano Premium and they order all my books by Calibre tags. You do not have to use a different ROM or launcher to benefit from Calibre tags.

The native Nook reader I only use for PDFs, because I like its thumbnail navigation which I haven't found an equivalent to yet in any other PDF reader.

If it weren't for the B&N content, which I use, then I'd have no hesitation going to an alternate launcher or another ROM. But I don't want to lose that content, and don't like dual boot setups. So rooted stock with certain mods is the ideal solution for me.

--Pat
Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #54
catsknit
Addict

I use Repligo pro for pdfs, which I like. I haven't tried the native Nook reader for pdfs so I don't know how much different it is.

Like I said, if I hadn't gotten used to the full android already, what you describe would most likely be fine for me. Maybe I'll play with my HD+ before changing it and see how I like it. I'm currently using Jellybean on my HD.

What about moving apps to the sd card? Someone on another forum with a Nook HD was trying to do that and couldn't find any way to do it. I recommended app2sd but she said it wouldn't work on her native HD. maybe with the sideloading thing?
It's probably not as much of an issue with the 16 GB HD+ now but my HD is only 8 gb so pushing some of those lesser-used apps to the card is nice.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #55
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
I use Repligo pro for pdfs, which I like. I haven't tried the native Nook reader for pdfs so I don't know how much different it is.

Like I said, if I hadn't gotten used to the full android already, what you describe would most likely be fine for me. Maybe I'll play with my HD+ before changing it and see how I like it. I'm currently using Jellybean on my HD.
Karen, before you dump stock, check out lengthy PDFs on the native Nook Reader. Notice the large thumbnail navigation? I haven't found that on any other reader yet.

I tried Repligo and, while there is thumbnail navigation, the thumbs are so tiny as to be almost useless! They are like about 1/20th the size of the thumbs in the Nook native reader. And I couldn't find a way to make the thumbs larger.

I bought the HD+primarily to read PDFs, so I wouldn't want to lose the big thumbnail navigation just to get a new ROM on the device.

Quote:
What about moving apps to the sd card? Someone on another forum with a Nook HD was trying to do that and couldn't find any way to do it. I recommended app2sd but she said it wouldn't work on her native HD. maybe with the sideloading thing?
It's probably not as much of an issue with the 16 GB HD+ now but my HD is only 8 gb so pushing some of those lesser-used apps to the card is nice.
I have 16gb on my HD so I haven't had to worry about space internally. However, there is a way to swap the system names of the internal storage and sd card so that downloaded apps go onto the card. I believe there are some limitations and caveats, so you'll have to do your homework on it before deciding if its for you.

The solution is by leapinlar at xda. He offers the mod in the same thread where I got my mods for rooting and sideloading, and it can be done for either stock ROM or devices with CM10.1/CM10.2. Look at the first post, item #4:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

leapinlar is very good about answering questions and helping out if you get stuck on things.

--Pat
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #56
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
I use the Kindle app for reading PDFs. I tried the native reader on the stock HD+ ROM, but it was slow turning pages and after about 20 pages (depending on the PDF) the pages would just be blank. Sometimes the content would eventually show up after a full minute or so, sometimes it never did.

I'd open the same PDF in the Kindle app and it worked fine.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #57
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I use the Kindle app for reading PDFs. I tried the native reader on the stock HD+ ROM, but it was slow turning pages and after about 20 pages (depending on the PDF) the pages would just be blank. Sometimes the content would eventually show up after a full minute or so, sometimes it never did.

I'd open the same PDF in the Kindle app and it worked fine.
I tried the Kindle app too. But the total lack of any bookmarking for PDFs was an automatic deal-breaker for me. I promptly uninstalled Kindle from my Nook after trying it out.

I am not having any issues with page turning or blank pages reading PDFs in the native Nook reader. Maybe the problems existed just with the earlier stock ROMs? PDFs on both 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 have worked smoothly for me.

--Pat
Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #58
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't mind the stock home screen as much as I can see others do. My main complaint about it is that there is very little room to put widgets and app icons on it. And also there is no obvious way to change the number of home screens.
Both those complaints are easily fixed with an alternative launcher! I have however put an icon on obe of my home screen that takes me back to the stock home screen when I feel like using it.
As for reading multipage PDFs (magazines) I have used EZ PDF and been very happy with it. I also use both Adobe and Office suite now and then for smaller PDFs.

Last edited by Asawi; 10-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #59
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
I don't use B&N's digital services. Therefore, any and all customizations of the Android system to make it interface better with B&N and give preference to B&N's own apps is useless cruft to me.
I ran both B&N's ROM and CM 10.2 on my HD+, both installed to the internal memory, and I get much better battery life, and a good bit faster system using CM 10.2.
Besides the slight performance gains, I have the good feeling of knowing that my tablet is full Android and running a lean, stock ROM.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #60
catsknit
Addict

I played with my HD+ stock ROM last night and was at least able to get rid of the carousel and change the wallpaper and user profile icons. I did run into one problem, not sure how to get around it? I had orig. set up my primary profile as well as a single child profile called "John or Mary" for my kids to use, on my HD when i first got it last year. As soon as I had registered this new HD+ it installed those profiles (as well as every Nook app and book, magazine, etc I'd bought from B&N, without asking). So, on the HD+ I decided to make 2 child profiles, one for each of them. When I edited the child profile name, no keyboard comes up to type! When I long press I was able to cut part of the name out but still couldn't retype anything new. When I added a 3rd profile, the keyboard did come up to add the 3rd name.
I wonder if it's possible to have different profiles on different devices when they are registered to the same B&N account.

I did check out the pdfs on the Nook and yes, the thumbnail navigation is much larger but I usually just use table of contents and then "go to page...." so it doesn't matter to me.

I haven't had a chance to image the sd card for CM 10.1 yet so I'll keep playing with the Nook interface.

Karen