Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #31
WoenK
WoenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Trekstor5
ok...installed Win XP and get almost the same error as in Virtual PC...
First USB conncetion is not there, a 10 sec reset shows the iMX35 in the hardware menue, I try to dump something in the flash tool, but does not seem to work.
Also tried programing but does not work either (used the settings according to the pics here). After sometime the iMX35 disappears form the hardware, trying to program then results in a "no USB". If it appears it tells me that it is not in bootstrap mode.
Tried all resets I could find here (30 secs power slide, holding enter, holding home and the Volume- thingy), for a second it wanted to install a USB memory driver but failed.

Could be that I am the worst case noob trying to restore, but at least I can show some of the questions that could be raised
WoenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoenK View Post
Tried all resets I could find here (30 secs power slide, holding enter, holding home and the Volume- thingy), for a second it wanted to install a USB memory driver but failed.
Same instructions as for K4/K5, but different "magic key". Plug in USB so you can see the power LED. Hold power button until LED Turns OFF. Press Vol- while holding power button. Release power button. It should now be in USB Downloader mode (different VID/PID than K4/K5 though)...

Because the K3 power button slides over the LED, making it hard to see, it helps to back off the slider position just enough to see part of the LED, while still maintaining the "pressed" condition. And of course, do not cover the LED with your finger while holding the power button. If you cannot see the LED, then just hold it for 30 seconds instead, before pressing Vol-.

I just tried this on my laptop that I have with me, and the driver also failed to load. It worked on my host PC with a VirtualBox XP VM. I do not remember needing to install any special drivers. Device Manager is showing it as "SE Blank RINGO", which is the Windows Device Description for K3 USB Downloader mode (Linux often uses different names for USB devices). Device Manager shows the Hardware Ids as VID/PID 15A2/0030.

As I recall, my host PC already had libusb installed when I tried this back before publishing my "Select Boot" thread. Does K3 USB Downloader mode need libusb-win32? Or... where are the drivers for it? Perhaps at the Freescale website. I will look when I have time...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-03-2012 at 03:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #33
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just downloaded the Freescale Advanced Toolkit "standard edition" manual, and it says to install the USB "Jungo" drivers that come with ATK. It also says to run the installer BAT file if they do not install automatically (after adding the toolkit driver path). I remember that now... That is what I did the first time. RTFM works!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #34
WoenK

I have the drivers installed, thats why it shows up as iMX35 under the Jungo in the device manager. I can also see the LED clearly, I got the cover off
Tried again with thte volume- held while holding the power key on, same message again...
After 2-3 seconds came "cannot load RAM into Kernel", the again the bootstap thingy.
It could be a bit of an timing issue, I click the dump button all over again after the error message and after 3-4 clicks came the RAM message.

edith: tried an erase from 00041000 - 00043000
Got an failed to initial flash or do not support this flash, please reset target

If it wasnt that the K3 reacts to at least some things, I would suspect it is absolutely dead.

Last edited by WoenK; 07-03-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #35
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Are you doing that in a virtual machine? After uploading the RAM kernel, the Kindle is triggered to run it. In that very moment the USB connection is reset and comes up a tad bit differently. I always have to manually enable USB forwarding for that "new" device in the virtual machine (I'm using WinXP in a VirtualBox instance running on a Linux host).

PS: Also, I'm almost through a rewrite of the flashing capability using libusb. Should be 1-2 days until I have that running, will publish the code soon.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #36
WoenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Are you doing that in a virtual machine? After uploading the RAM kernel, the Kindle is triggered to run it. In that very moment the USB connection is reset and comes up a tad bit differently. I always have to manually enable USB forwarding for that "new" device in the virtual machine (I'm using WinXP in a VirtualBox instance running on a Linux host).

PS: Also, I'm almost through a rewrite of the flashing capability using libusb. Should be 1-2 days until I have that running, will publish the code soon.
nope, installed XP on another machine just for the flashing.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #37
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Kindle 3 is quite robust: when I successfully put it into USB downloader mode, it will stay in that mode and will not drop out. This state is easily recognizable by the presented "Your kindle is starting up" screen. You get there by holding down Vol-. It has *nothing* to do with the menus/screens popping up later in the boot process when you hold Enter or Home. So I am not sure what you mean when you wrote
Quote:
a 10 sec reset shows the iMX35 in the hardware menue
What "hardware menu"? On what device?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
WoenK

Quote:
My Kindle 3 is quite robust: when I successfully put it into USB downloader mode, it will stay in that mode and will not drop out. This state is easily recognizable by the presented "Your kindle is starting up" screen. You get there by holding down Vol-. It has *nothing* to do with the menus/screens popping up later in the boot process when you hold Enter or Home. So I am not sure what you mean when you wrote

What "hardware menu"? On what device?
The menu in XP where all hardware devices are listed.

And my kindle does not show anything on the scrren except the frozen USB connection picture. It is completely bricked
Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
The menu in XP where all hardware devices are listed.

And my kindle does not show anything on the screen except the frozen USB connection picture. It is completely bricked
USB Downloader mode does not use the eink screen. It will show whatever was there when you did the "magic key" sequence, which has no visible difference from being bricked other than the USB VID/PID showing it is in USB Downloader mode. If it was not bricked it MIGHT clear the screen during the long power hold. If you clear the screen then go into diags mode, you are not entering USB Downloader mode. Because the "magic" key is wired directly to the CPU, it MUST go to USB Downloader mode regardless of mmc contents, unless there is a hardware problem. Remember that a bricked kindle may completely discharge the battery beyond what is normally considered healthy for the battery, which might interfere with USB Downloader mode until it gets enough charge.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
hawhill
Wizard

Hm, so the "Your Kindle is rebooting" screen is shown by the framework right *before* the reboot, I guess. Hm, so in this case it's a bit hard to determine if the device powers off/on and whether it got into the USB downloader mode. The latter, as geekmaster said, can be determined by looking at the attached USB devices.

In Linux, I would look at lsusb and the kernel log - without any special drivers needed. I would then look if the Kindle appears in USB downloader mode and start byant checking if it stays in that mode. For Windows, I'm not too comfortable with similar ways, so probably it's constantly checking the device manager or similar, but I'm actually not sure. Currently my guess is on "constantly rebooting" (BTW, I would tape the Vol- key down, I think) or - as geekmaster suggested - an empty battery. So keeping it attached for a while is probably a good idea, too.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
And my kindle does not show anything on the scrren except the frozen USB connection picture. It is completely bricked
If your screen is like mine, it also says that your kindle is not being charged on that screen.

"frozen" doesn't mean much with a reflective display, it is like saying your car is "frozen" because it is still painted the same as it was yesterday.
Translation: Your kindle screen is showing what it was last painted with.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
WoenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
USB Downloader mode does not use the eink screen. It will show whatever was there when you did the "magic key" sequence, which has no visible difference from being bricked other than the USB VID/PID showing it is in USB Downloader mode. If it was not bricked it MIGHT clear the screen during the long power hold. If you clear the screen then go into diags mode, you are not entering USB Downloader mode. Because the "magic" key is wired directly to the CPU, it MUST go to USB Downloader mode regardless of mmc contents, unless there is a hardware problem. Remember that a bricked kindle may completely discharge the battery beyond what is normally considered healthy for the battery, which might interfere with USB Downloader mode until it gets enough charge.
Ok, did not fully charge it for 2 weeks, it might not have been charged at all during tests . Might try that as well as glueing the Vol- somehow down...
Maybe should try also a Linux/Wine combination in order to check if it works from there.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #43
WoenK

ok...tried to charge it via USB, but I somehow have the feeling it does not fully charge. Disconnects every 20 minutes or so. It loses connection every time I try to do something to it, be it dumping, programming or erasing,
Not really convinced that it is onlys the K3...simply don't trust the drivers on Windows.
Will try another runner after leaving it on the wall charger for a day and if that does not work, will try a a run wiht a Wine session, latter one wont happen before my holidays next week
Thanks for the inspirations in the meantime, ATK seems to be a the best tool for the jib
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #44
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey all, I'm a long time lurker in the forums and a huge fan of the work here. I'm no Linux newbie and have some ARM plus Uboot experience already from hacking some other NAS gadgets.

I have a bricked K3W that was previously jail broken. Two weeks ago it was frozen on the screensaver. After a hard reset it got stuck in an endless reboot cycle. I had about five minutes of usability before the next reboot. In one cycle I was able to navigate to and execute the factory reset option. That killed it. It'll restart on a hard reboot, but then just freeze up and remains that way.

Amazon was kind enough to replace it as it was under warranty but I haven't sent back the bad one yet. I figured I could attempt a recovery of it as a practice run. Is there a more detailed recovery procedure documented? I'm figuring I can use this to flash Yifan Lu's recovery kernel to the device at 0x41000. I should then be able to export mmcblk0p1 and copy a rootfs backup over, correct? Both mmcblk0p2 and mmcblk0p4 should be virgin as the last thing I did was a factory restore.

Does this sound about right? Or should I just flash the good 650MB backup of mmcblk0p1 and assume the standard kernel that's already in mmc is ok?

Is there a Linux version of ATK? I avoid Windows except at work where I have no choice. If not, will ATK work on Win7 or do I need to scavenge a WinXP disc? If I need XP has anyone tried running ATK on XP running in Virtualbox?

I know, I know, I know. I really need to purchase a 1.8v TTL serial/usb cable. Why is the one from FTDI so expensive? I've got five PL-2303 based CA-42 cables that I've re-purposed for my other ARM boxes. It's too bad but they are 3.3v.

Any help will be appreciated, and I don't mind working up a detailed procedure from my experiences.

If this works, I'll need to break the Kindle again. Any suggestions on how to do it? I also should probably flash the original kernel back and restore standard 3.3 before breaking it.

Last edited by kraqh3d; 07-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #45
geekmaster

Quote:
Flashing works, too. I think I'll go and try to flash seaniko's kernel - that would probably very much the "real world application" of a tool like this. Whoohoo, easy K3 recovery path coming up. In fact, it seems robust enough even in VirtualBox that this could be used to write uboot, kernel+initramfs, settings vfat _and_ rootfs. Plus, we can easily use it to make backup dumps. Which I'll do now before doing anything else.

Edit: I verified that the data was written to the right place. And I'm using ATK 1.67, BTW.
I love seeing the progress on this. Now you have 20000 karma.