Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #76
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokrypt View Post
New user here... Never done any hacks on my Kindle Touch, but I've read many threads in this forum. I had just decided that I wanted custom screensavers after I updated to 5.1.0, and to my dismay, the data.tar.gz method didn't work. I even restarted a couple of times.

My RUNME.sh remained... unrun?
Try my data.tar.gz with ENABLE_DIAGS. Does that run? But beware that the boot root will be the diags partition, so changes need to be made to main partition after mounting it to /mnt/mmc...

Start by trying my sample RUNME.sh you can download with my data.tar.gz, and add ENABLE_DIAGS, and reboot twice (or maybe three times) before deciding that it did not work.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #77
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokrypt View Post
New user here... Never done any hacks on my Kindle Touch, but I've read many threads in this forum. I had just decided that I wanted custom screensavers after I updated to 5.1.0, and to my dismay, the data.tar.gz method didn't work. I even restarted a couple of times.

My RUNME.sh remained... unrun?
Most likely they fixed this data.tar.gz method completely.
So you'd have to wait for another kind of jailbreak, or downgrade to 5.0.0, jailbreak and update to 5.1.0.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #78
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
Most likely they fixed this data.tar.gz method completely.
So you'd have to wait for another kind of jailbreak, or downgrade to 5.0.0, jailbreak and update to 5.1.0.
According to ixtab, the diags partition was not significantly changed, and it has startup scripts that also extract data.tar.gz. That is why I wanted to see if it worked with ENABLE_DIAGS...

If it does not work, I am working on a payload for my new jailbreak, which I was saving as a "secret" replacement for data.tar.gz. It was secret so that amazon does not fix it before we can use it. I hope the new method was not fixed, but I am waiting for a *real* 5.1.0 diags partition to test with.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #79
Prokrypt
Prokrypt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Try my data.tar.gz with ENABLE_DIAGS. Does that run? But beware that the boot root will be the diags partition, so changes need to be made to main partition after mounting it to /mnt/mmc...

Start by trying my sample RUNME.sh you can download with my data.tar.gz, and add ENABLE_DIAGS, and reboot twice (or maybe three times) before deciding that it did not work.
Yep! ENABLE_DIAGS worked (figured that out a while after my post), though I'm not sure whose data.tar.gz I ended up using anymore (I believe it had something to do with a wan.info file).

Now I just have to figure out a safe way to source the screensavers from the user partition...
Prokrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #80
geekmaster

People need to be careful that their RUNME.sh script modifies the RIGHT partition, especially when booting from diags. The script should mount mmcblk0p1 to /mnt/mmc and make changes inside that...
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #81
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Hi Geekmaster,

join the line of the ones who have to say T H X

Updated my KT to 5.1 and had to go via 5.0 because of the 006. But with your tools and some small hints from ixtab, who is included in the THX, it went like charm!

For all using WinSCP, just ignore some of the error - messages popping up in an extra window - just wait, it works.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #82
mars77
mars77 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
i guess i failed again.

i updated my touch to 5.1.0 but a few things were messed up after this (some text in the font menu was missing for example) and i assumed this was due to the language hack i installed earlier on 5.0.4. so i unistalled the language and the language hack itself (german)... and now i cant choose german as a language in 5.1.0. resetting the device to factory default did not help

is there a simply way to force the 5.1.0 update again?

thanks for help!

Last edited by mars77; 04-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.
mars77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #83
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars77 View Post
i guess i failed again.

i updated my touch to 5.1.0 but a few things were messed up after this (some text in the font menu was missing for example) and i assumed this was due to the language hack i installed earlier on 5.0.4. so i unistalled the language and the language hack itself (german)... and now i cant choose german as a language in 5.1.0. resetting the device to factory default did not help

is there a simply way to force the 5.1.0 update again?

thanks for help!
Try erasing mmcblk0p3, so the kindle will ask what language you want to use next time you restart.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #84
mars77

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Try erasing mmcblk0p3, so the kindle will ask what language you want to use next time you restart.
i did a factory reset and german was not along the avaible languages anymore, i guess deleting what you told me (not that i would know how to do that anyway) wont help me then?

i guess i deleted the german language (option) which came with 5.1.0 by uninstalling the language hack.

its still jailbroken i think, cant i just force the update to run again?

Last edited by mars77; 04-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #85
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You should *REALLY* read the documentation. The localization thread here features a big red warning, and I posted a similar comment on mexxbooks.

Don't even bother trying factory reset: the german files have been deleted from your device for good.

The only option you have is to flash 5.0.0, then update to 5.1.0 (as described in the localization thread).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #86
mars77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You should *REALLY* read the documentation. The localization thread here features a big red warning, and I posted a similar comment on mexxbooks.

Don't even bother trying factory reset: the german files have been deleted from your device for good.

The only option you have is to flash 5.0.0, then update to 5.1.0 (as described in the localization thread).
you are right about that warning, wish i read it earlier but i did too late.
i guess ill wait for the next update from amazon, dont want to mess up even more.

edit: is it possible to flash 5.0.0 without using linux, by a script or by a windows pc? and if so, would anyone be so kind and guide me?

thx in advance

Last edited by mars77; 04-16-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #87
nusquama
nusquama began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
upgrade KT 5.1 with jailbreak easy

Hi,

I try to upgrade my KT jailbroken with wireless, but it fail.

So, i download the firmware and put in my KT with USB. After i reboot ( i turn off the wireless ) and it done ! No need to uninstall jailbreak or reset...

Last edited by nusquama; 04-16-2012 at 10:01 AM.
nusquama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #88
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Hi all!!
Could someone please tell me if:
- WAFs still works
- rotation works with WAFs
- launcher works
- a jailbroken kindle remains jailbroken

Thanks to everyone!!!!!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #89
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Hi all!!
Could someone please tell me if:
- a jailbroken kindle remains jailbroken
Yes

AFAIK uninstalling launcher, ktrotate and screensaver is sufficient to update.

to be in safe you can do a factory reset, though.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #90
nusquama
nusquama began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Yes

AFAIK uninstalling launcher, ktrotate and screensaver is sufficient to update.

to be in safe you can do a factory reset, though.
no need factory reset if you update with usb
nusquama is offline   Reply With Quote