Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Replacing my PC with my Tab

Well, it finally died this weekend; it has been showing signs for a couple of months now, but Sunday morning it rolled over and stuck its little feet in the air. Yup! I’m PC-less; oh, I still have my locked down work computer, and a little netbook that I’ll need to press into service. But my home work horse is destined for the glue factory.

So being the wannabe optimist that I wannabe, I’m taking the opportunity to see just how much I can do with my Samsung Galaxy Tab. So far what I’ve found is:

1. Printing anything is a workaround at best and impossible at worst.
2. Cutting and pasting from a spreadsheet into an email is beyond me.
3. Generating/editing a large document is possible, but extremely difficult.
4. Humankind cannot compute on multiple platforms without DropBox.

As I zero in on a decision for a replacement, I’m sure I’ll discover more. In the meantime getting my netbook up to date on security patches has become job one!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I used my netbook (MSI Wind) for over 6 months as my primary computer when I was between desktops. I hooked it up to a 22" monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. It worked great and the only time it slowed down on me was when I had too many windows open while streaming a video. Closing a few windows cured that.

But then, I don't have a printer attached to my PC, nor do I do spreadsheets or edit documents or do DropBox.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes, I hooked up my EEEPC 1000 HE to my monitor and keyboard last night, and it seems like the performance is adequate (barely), but the issue I have is the screen resolution. The best it will do is 600X1024, and tells me it would rather be at 600X800. On the 10 inch screen, that’s OK but on my 22” monitor, not so much.

At best, it buys me a little more time to decide.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
1. Printing anything is a workaround at best and impossible at worst.
2. Cutting and pasting from a spreadsheet into an email is beyond me.
3. Generating/editing a large document is possible, but extremely difficult.
4. Humankind cannot compute on multiple platforms without DropBox.
I'm not surprised here. You excluded multitasking. Do you not have an issue toggling between applications?

These tablets are far from being full fledged computing devices. Unless users are primary consumers or is using a tailor made app these devices are just not ready for general computing.

Android and iOS still lack a good Word processor and Spread sheet. I'm guessing that this is why MS is so optimistic on their WP 8 tablets.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote