Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
nutpantz
nutpantz began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
is there any way to time out a conversion?

i was converting a few books that i wanted to take with me on a trip.
i set everything up and set it to batch convert 25 files to epubs before i went to sleep.
when i woke up it was still converting the second file.. at hundreds of minutes in progress.

is there any way to set a time out to skip the conversion if it takes loner than say 10 minutes???

thanks for any info..

nutz
nutpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
No there is not.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Sounds like a good idea to add.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Seconded
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Why? As long as there is no error, the conversion is still running, regardless of how long it takes. Why would I want to interrupt it just because it is taking longer than X minutes?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Hmm, I have just converted a large number of books.

1) My system was converting more than one at a time. So if one hung, it would keep coverting.

2) When it flat could not convert a book, it returned an error message and kept on coverting.

3) I did have oe book that took a very long time to convert (more time to convert that one that to convert over 100 other ones).
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
DarkRose
DarkRose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
This happened to me earlier today, set up to batch convert 6 books, came back half an hour later to an overheated laggy laptop that hadn't even done the first conversion yet...

I was converting Lit to Mobi if that makes any difference.
DarkRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
This happened to me earlier today, set up to batch convert 6 books, came back half an hour later to an overheated laggy laptop that hadn't even done the first conversion yet...

I was converting Lit to Mobi if that makes any difference.
Some books take a long time to convert. The odds are any book that takes longer than 20 minutes started its life in MS Word (like your lit file) and has 10s of thousands of lines of css / @font face stuff that it is sorting out.

Either let your machine run the 1 to 24 hours needed to complete the conversion (my longest was 6 hours) or set the book aside and look for a new source for that book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
oldbwl
Zealot

One reason why I wanted a timeout too was that, there e.g. there can be 4 threads running simulataneuosly (one per core?), On the 1st job the conversion of the book started to take ages, then another and so on until all Job threads were in use. I had many other tasks, they did not get done by when I needed them. 2 were really important. I know I could prioritise the order but a failsafe timeout would be great.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
One reason why I wanted a timeout too was that, there e.g. there can be 4 threads running simulataneuosly (one per core?), On the 1st job the conversion of the book started to take ages, then another and so on until all Job threads were in use. I had many other tasks, they did not get done by when I needed them. 2 were really important. I know I could prioritise the order but a failsafe timeout would be great.
There are preferences that control use of CPU(cores), Priority and number of threads.
More/bigger is not always better (unless we are talking RAM to run in )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
oldbwl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There are preferences that control use of CPU(cores), Priority and number of threads.
More/bigger is not always better (unless we are talking RAM to run in )
True, so if I restricted it to 1 thread, does that mean a job will share all avail cores? or will the CPU have one in use and 3 idle?

If the latter, there will be no effect.

If the former, then my situation would not change much, these jobs lasted over 10 hours, the 1st job would have been reduced to 2.5 hours approx, and that would be still too long. It would have to do all four in serial before it got to the important jobs.

The CPU gets real hot on these long jobs evidenced by the fan kicking in on high rpms, so there is another reason to desire this facility.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A timeout wouldn't change your situation either. The conversion would stop, but it wouldn't be finished, so you'd have no converted book.

Your fan switching to higher RPMs isn't necessarily bad, that should happen if you're running CPU intensive tasks, which a conversion definitely is. If you feel your system is getting too hot, try monitoring the temperature, but that would be a hardware problem, not a Calibre problem. Computers do enjoy getting the lint removed once in a while, by the way...

Edited to add: As far as I know, conversions are singlethreaded, so if you start only one conversion, it'll take (mostly) the same time as when you'd start as many as you have cores available.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You can manually stop any conversion by clicking on little circle in bottom right corner
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
True, so if I restricted it to 1 thread, does that mean a job will share all avail cores? or will the CPU have one in use and 3 idle?

If the latter, there will be no effect.

If the former, then my situation would not change much, these jobs lasted over 10 hours, the 1st job would have been reduced to 2.5 hours approx, and that would be still too long. It would have to do all four in serial before it got to the important jobs.

The CPU gets real hot on these long jobs evidenced by the fan kicking in on high rpms, so there is another reason to desire this facility.
The fan is doing its job, that is all. The slower the fan (when not needed) the longer your battery lasts. Fans used to be single speed (and CPU's a lot weaker )The CPU should throttle if the fan can't keep up with the load.

NOT maxing out all cores should help :thumbsup (AFAIK a thread does not spread across cores. Start task manager and tick show seperate... then run 1 conversion) .

Limiting the cores used leaves some for your other tasks (one of your complaints)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
One reason why I wanted a timeout too was that, there e.g. there can be 4 threads running simulataneuosly (one per core?), On the 1st job the conversion of the book started to take ages, then another and so on until all Job threads were in use.
If all cores were in use then you had multiple books being converted and they were all taking long. If you noticed it taking a long time then open the jobs window (clicking on jobs in the lower right corner) and stop the one job that is holding you up, then restart that book conversion when you have time.

Quote:
I had many other tasks, they did not get done by when I needed them. 2 were really important. I know I could prioritise the order but a failsafe timeout would be great.
Were the other tasks books being converted? If they weren't books being converted then you can prioritize all other tasks by going to Preferences - Behavior and changing Job priority to low.

Quote:
No, I believe it is one job, one core.

Quote:
these jobs lasted over 10 hours
If these books are your creation then save them out of Word as html filtered and the conversion time will drop drastically.

Quote:
The fan / cpu settings are by design. This is a hardware issue, if you don't want your CPU running as configured then tweak the Bios so it runs slower. If it used to run cooler then buy a can of air, open it up and spray out the dust that has accumulated.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote