Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
italic, bold etc to normal

sigil has easy to use bottons for book mode which add italic, bold underline to marked text. but I see no reverse option i.e. change italic back to normal. can that be done in book mode ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
sigil has easy to use bottons for book mode which add italic, bold underline to marked text. but I see no reverse option i.e. change italic back to normal. can that be done in book mode ?
You can just toggle the style button again (i.e. click italic a second time). Or you can select "normal" from the dropdown of heading styles.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
You can just toggle the style button again (i.e. click italic a second time). Or you can select "normal" from the dropdown of heading styles.
duh! so easy - I thought I'd tried that before posting & it had not worked but tried it again & it works fine.

thanks for answering.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
However, it does not always work. If the italic is in the style, I find that the italic cannot be undone via the button. Sounds logical too, how would Sigil know what style to use then?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
However, it does not always work. If the italic is in the style, I find that the italic cannot be undone via the button. Sounds logical too, how would Sigil know what style to use then?
ah - that explains why my initial test did not work
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

IIUC, it works as it should. The button in Sigil wraps the text you want italicise in <i> </i> tags; so one click adds those tags a second click removes them. Naturally this wouldn't work on text italicised by a css rule e.g. <span class="name-of-italic-class"> </span>.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
IIUC, it works as it should. The button in Sigil wraps the text you want italicise in <i> </i> tags; so one click adds those tags a second click removes them. Naturally this wouldn't work on text italicised by a css rule e.g. <span class="name-of-italic-class"> </span>.
needs better documentation. a noob like me who doesn't really know or care about the underlying html but just wants to change italic to normal tries highlighting text in book view & clicking the italic button, sees that nothing happens & wrongly concludes that feature does not work.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, I had the same problem trying to remove an underline. My first reaction upon reading this thread was to wonder why Sigil cannot remove the css rule surrounding the text in question. However, upon thinking a little, I realized that Sigil has no knowledge of what the css rule is doing, so it cannot remove it, unlike removing standard HTML.

It does seem that it is something that should be documented, if for no other reason but to stop people from complaining about the "bug" in Sigil.

In my case, I am trying to show a person who has no HTML knowledge how to fix typos in an epub file using Sigil. In a case like this, trying to remove underlines, I'll have no choice it seems but to show them how to go into HTML view and remove the spanned css rule. Oh well...
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Select the Text
IF the buttons appear depressed, Sigil probably will let you pop them back out. with a click
Otherwis... CV to find the selector(s) and off to the stylesheet you go
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem I had with underlining was compounded by Sigil adding its own local style on top of a style in the stylesheet. I don't know why it did that.

The original HTML shows this:
<u>meself</u>

After conversion in Calibre to epub, it shows this:

<span class="calibre20 sgc-1">meself</span>

where calibre20 is defined in the stylesheet.css as:
.calibre20 {
line-height: 1.1;
text-decoration: underline
}

but sgc-1 is defined at the top of any chapter that has an underline, in the html file as:
span.sgc-1 {text-decoration:underline}

So to change the underline to italic, I wanted to just change the definition in the stylesheet, but it wouldn't work. I had to also do a global change of the sgc-1 definition. Fortunately, Sigil's Find tool has the ability to do such a change, but I do wonder why Sigil added that extra local definition.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

i was told, in another thread, that the html tidy option creates those sgc-1 styles, and can be disabled.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
RAH
Guru

Ah, that's interesting. I did do some searching about this topic and found some threads from a few years ago that said some things would be optional, but finding no "Options" settings in Sigil, I kind of figured it hadn't been done yet.

But I now see that the Tidy button is a toggle, and it was set in my version (probably the default). So I'll try unsetting it in the future and that will no doubt help in a case like this. Thanks for the tip!